A unique characteristic

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
A unique characteristic

CYA pistol fool friends:

There's a unique characteristic about the Muller Corrugated 8, that the Shilen Ratchet and Muller 4-MI do not possess...

If........................you chamber with a reamer.

Jeff Patterson has discovered this unique characteristic....

I saw it the first time I chambered a Corrugated 8...

Now........................

No creating a mystery then leaving folks hanging.......OK.

But........

Do any of you CYA folks know what this unique characteristic might be?

Your friend, Bill pistol fool Calfee

PS:

If I had a Shilen Ratchet, Muller Corrugated 8 and Muller 4-MI which all evaluated, by me, exactly the same...

Perfect gradual taper, no breech end washing, and perfectly uniform groove measurements......

I would choose the Corrugated 8, of the three, simply because of this one unique characteristic...

Remember, this is if you chamber using a reamer....

A hint:

This unique characteristic of the corrugated 8, plays into something Paul Tolvstad said in his post #12 on the "Rimfire barrel of the future" thread, on the Rimfire Benchrest forum.....

Last edited:
If.....................

If.....................

CYA pistol fool friends:

The Shilen Ratchet, Muller 4-MI and Muller Corrugated 8 have the same accuracy potential, if, properly taper lapped and have a uniform twist rate.

If.........................

They get "properly" fit to a Class A RFBR action.....

The "properly fit" part is tough to do.....

The unique characteristic of the Corrugated 8 is in the ability to properly fit it.

If you chamber using a reamer.......

Your friend, Bill pistol fool Calfee

PS:

If you bore your chambers the Corrugated 8's advantage is canceled out.....

Speaking of boring chambers....

I've often wondered how folks who bore chambers indicate the bore...

See, the taper lapping process is notorious for leaving the groove/land diameters slightly erratic at the breech end of the bore.

My question for folks who bore, would be:

How does one indicate the breech end of the barrel when there's a slight run out in the groove/land diameters?

The beauty of using a reamer to cut a chamber, is that when properly used, a reamer will center on the "mass" of the slight irregularities in the groove/lands...

In other words, if the schmidt lets the reamer do what it wants to, instead of trying to guide it, a reamer will compensate for the slight irregularities in the grooves/lands...

BC

Bill

“How does one indicate the breech end of the barrel when there's a slight run out in the groove/land diameters?“

Your quote above!!

I have often wondered that because I’ve had barrels set overnight deciding whether it was my technique or the barrel that I was seeing. I RE indicated, if that’s a word, barrels trying to figure that out. I mark every thing and start over more than once.
I’m not an expert or even a xspurt but I’ve done a lot of Machine work that takes good machine shop practice and the more you do and see the more I look with a jaded eye at some wild claims on the net.

Another thing I have often thought of is the exact cutting edge of the boring bar has to be on center or you won’t be perfect on center with the bore. I’m sticking with reamers for now!
I’m sure the critics will have a hay day or is it a hey you day with this post.

Halcomb

Friend JH

Bill

“How does one indicate the breech end of the barrel when there's a slight run out in the groove/land diameters?“

Your quote above!!

I have often wondered that because I’ve had barrels set overnight deciding whether it was my technique or the barrel that I was seeing. I RE indicated, if that’s a word, barrels trying to figure that out. I mark every thing and start over more than once.
I’m not an expert or even a xspurt but I’ve done a lot of Machine work that takes good machine shop practice and the more you do and see the more I look with a jaded eye at some wild claims on the net.

Another thing I have often thought of is the exact cutting edge of the boring bar has to be on center or you won’t be perfect on center with the bore. I’m sticking with reamers for now!
I’m sure the critics will have a hay day or is it a hey you day with this post.

Halcomb

Friend JH:

I don't believe you'll have any negative comments about your post, here at CYA...

Your friend, BC

Back
Top Bottom