Thread: Friend Big Dog

Friend Big Dog

Friend Big Dog

Friend Big Dog:

Awhile back you gave me some test lots of Lapua that you've tried...

I have not had a chance to try them......until today...

Big Dog, I ain't been to the range forever....

Here on July 4th it's killer hot, and I'm killer old, but I had to go to the range...

It's been weeks since I've been to the range....

So..................

I put a slave Muller 4-MI on my triple lug 10-X action, that I may try to build SPEC 10, THE VIRGINIAN, on.

It's 92 degrees, but, I made myself go to the range......and shoot.....

Big Dog:

I'm going to show you two pictures:

This first one is the only lot of Lapua, that you gave me, that I actually shot tonight....

Name:  DSC01257.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  115.5 KB

Now Big Dog, this is going to blow your mind...........

There was a target I had turned backwards weeks ago, still on my old target frame, so I would have a blank target to shoot at if I ever got back to the range...so it was blank...no bulls..

I fired my first sighting-in shot, and it hit low.....I marked where it struck on my next picture...

Then I adjusted my Leupold comp over to that first bullet hole...

Then.................

Now Big Dog, are you sitting down?

I fired 9 more rounds through that first sighting in hole, in this target, after I moved the scope....

There are 10 of your Lapua rounds through that hole....

Name:  DSC01253 - Copy.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  33.9 KB

I'm completely wore out..........

Your friend, Bill gun fool Calfee

Had to get up to pee-pee

Had to get up to pee-pee

CYA friends:

When I got in from the range last evening I went to bed......was wore out...

I had to get up to pee-pee so I thought I'd post something...

This slave Muller 4-MI that I shot last evening, the story:

Back when I did the 27 1/4" Muller 4-MI for Raging Inferno, which Chuck Morrell become the first man over 12000 in the PSL with, I decided to try to duplicate that killer barrel.

So I built another 27 1/4" Muller 4-MI.......and it killed it too in testing...

And then I did something stupid......

I tore the bore up using a stainless cleaning rod......like a fool.

I decided, for some stupid reason, to ISSO that new bore....

And at that time I used ISSO directly on a dry patch...

So I started the patch in the bore, with a stainless cleaning rod, like a fool, and started a forward stroke, and if felt like the rod was grinding against sand paper...

I knew I had tore that killer bore up.........

That stainless rod, maybe assisted by the ISSO on a dry patch, cold welded to the top of one of the lands.

By the way, never use ISSO on a dry patch....always wet the patch with solvent of some kind.

Anyway......I tore that killer barrel up.......so I removed it and put it in the rack.

Sometime later, after I'd calmed down, I decided to examine the bore to see exactly what I'd done, and, could I salvage the barrel some way.

I wound up carefully cutting the barrel off a little at a time, until I had all but about .700" of the rip on the top of the one land left.

This would allow the chamber and leade to remove this last .700" of the tear in that land top.

Now......................

When I went to chamber it my original pilot would not fit, because of that raised tear in that land top.

So I wound up using a very loose pilot.......by the way, I don't use tight fitting pilots anyway.....I learned a long time ago to get out of the way of the reamer, and let it do what it wanted to do, cause if you don't force it with super tight pilots, it will cut you a perfectly centered chamber, most of the time anyway...

Anyway, I would up using, I believe, a .210" diameter pilot...

And the chamber turned out pretty good........you notice I didn't say "perfect"...

I then tested it some on a one inch tenon Turbo, of some kind, or, my 10-X slave that I cut to one inch Turbo length.

I don't remember which......

And I couldn't get excited about it.....

Oh, it didn't shoot bad.......it just wasn't a Raging Inferno......

So it sat until yesterday....

So I decided to get it down and fit it to my current slave 10-X, which has the longer barrel tenon....

So I had to move the shoulder of the barrel to re-headspace it......

Plus, I had to bore a new HH/MD......

By the way, the extractor slots almost wound up perfect......I did have to roll the barrel in slightly, which made my chamber leade engraving length about .155", now.

CYA friends, doing this wore me out........

But I was so cited I had to go shoot it..........

And I haven't been to the range forever, it seems like, so I went...

And man did this Muller like that one lot of Lapua that Big Dog gave me....

The barrel wound up slightly over 24 inches.......and it's about .915" in diameter.....

So it's a slightly heavy 9x24.....

Therefore, I set the HH/MD on the low end of where I start testing a 9x24 barrel...

And I never moved it......

Oh folks, setting a MD is such a nightmare..........cough, cough, sneeze, sneeze, wink......

Anyway, I feel better after some sleep......

And I got to shoot again.......which was so wonderful........even with it 92 degrees....

By the way, I decided when I went to the range if there was no target up I wasn't going to try to walk one out.

But, the last target I had put up, weeks ago, was still there....

I had turned a target over and stamped my aiming circles on the back of it, and the ink I use isn't waterproof.....so with all the rain we've had, and the target sitting all these weeks, the aiming circles were washed completely away...

Name:  DSC01253 - Copy.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  33.9 KB

The grass is kinda high, as you can see some grass seed pods sticking up at the bottom of the picture.

Now............................

Is this 4-MI Muller worth some serious fooling with? It's a brand new barrel.....

I don't know........

Well, I've got to pee-pee again, then back to bed.....

Your friend, BC
    Last edited by Bill Calfee; 07-05-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Time passes......

Time passes.....

CYA friends:

Even though it was 92 degrees, it was thrilling to get to do some shooting yesterday....

It's hard to believe how long it's been since I was last at the range.....

I remember I put up a target that I had stamped the back of with my aiming circle stamp...

This way I wouldn't have to carry out a target the next time I shot...

It kinda blew my mind that the rains had actually washed my aiming circles away.....the ink isn't waterproof.

I've seen it rain on them and the ink running down in streaks, but never washed completely away..

It takes time passing, for that to happen.....

If you go back and look closely at the picture of the target, near the top especially, you can see ghosts of the circles very faintly...

I laid in bed last night and pondered on whether to keep fooling with this Muller 4-MI...

By the way, as I was putting stuff up to leave the range last evening, I had already put the camera up, I decided to shoot another group of this lot of Lapua...

I dialed down to the bottom of the target and shot a 5 shot group.....

It was just like the first group......maybe a half bullet wider, but vertically identical...

The next time I go to the range I'll take a picture of that second group....

Maybe today.........you never know......

__________________________________________________ ____

NOW.....................

I wasn't going to show these pictures, yet......

CYA friends it's taken me weeks, working an hour or so a day, to get this far......

And I've got a lot of decisions to make, yet..........major decisions....

My mind want's to build SPEC 10, THE VIRGINIAN.....

The reason I fit this Muller 4-MI was to test my basic contraption.....bedding, action blueprinting, straight lining, yes I have straight lined this contraption.....bumpers front and rear....

I don't know how far I will ever get to producing SPEC 10........maybe no further than I am now...

I've got to taper lap a barrel, then fit it perfectly, then figure out how to do "Calfee SPEC" quality graphics, working around the 10-X logo and serial number on the side of the action....

It makes one really appreciate that beautiful Turbo blank canvas.....

For what they're worth, here's a couple pictures... your friend, BC

Name:  DSC01228.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  121.2 KB

Name:  DSC01229.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  DSC01235.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  DSC01242.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  79.2 KB

Friend Big Dog

Friend Big Dog

Friend Big Dog:

Are you sitting down, or standing up?

Cause if you're standing up, you might want to sit down......

I just came in from the range................

Today the conditions were different from yesterday.......hotter and more humidity....

Therefore...............

I only took the 106 lot that I shot that miracle 10 shot group with yesterday....

Name:  DSC01263.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  99.0 KB

Big Dog, I'm more wore out today than I was yesterday...........

But..................

I did shoot the 106 again...........

And I took pictures.......as it turns out after each shot....

I wish I could have done a "through the scope" movie of this.....

I've got to compile these pictures........and get some rest......

Cause you ain't going to believe them..............

If someone showed these pictures to me, I wouldn't believe them either.............

After I get some rest, and compile these pictures, I'll post them....

It may be tomorrow....

Your friend, BC