Thread: "Instant Accuracy"

"Instant Accuracy"

Just a silly question, reading threads in this forum I see that when Bill or some one else fits a barrel it is taken to the range and I believe that the gun either shoots great the first outing or not, what is expected from a new barrel or has it got to be seasoned first? how many shots are expected before the barrel comes good or can you see a good barrel first up.

Over the years some rimfires seem to need 1,000 rounds through it before it comes good, maybe the chamber has not been finished off properly hence the 1,000 rounds to season, would this be correct.

I see some rimfire rifles just don't shoot at all well on the first outing and do shoot well after the 1,000 to 2,000 rounds or is this just a tuning problem???

Some input on this would be great, an opinion from you Bill would also be great.

Have a good Christmas
    Mark

Friend mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Just a silly question, reading threads in this forum I see that when Bill or some one else fits a barrel it is taken to the range and I believe that the gun either shoots great the first outing or not, what is expected from a new barrel or has it got to be seasoned first? how many shots are expected before the barrel comes good or can you see a good barrel first up.

Over the years some rimfires seem to need 1,000 rounds through it before it comes good, maybe the chamber has not been finished off properly hence the 1,000 rounds to season, would this be correct.

I see some rimfire rifles just don't shoot at all well on the first outing and do shoot well after the 1,000 to 2,000 rounds or is this just a tuning problem???

Some input on this would be great, an opinion from you Bill would also be great.

Have a good Christmas
    Mark
    Friend mark:

If a new barrel is prepared correctly, they will shoot the first five through the same hole, when brand new.

It's an interesting world, this waxed, lead bullet accuracy stuff.

I was reading sometime back something a gunsmith wrote about chambering......he actually advocated just reaming the chamber, no finishing of any kind.....basically said it was a waste of time to go to all of the trouble to meticulously prepare the chamber and leade of a rimfire.......................................then in another writing of his he was describing the number of rounds it takes to "break-in" a new rimfire barrel......................duh.

Friend mark, if the chamber/leade is meticulously prepared, if an absolutely fluid transition is produced from the chamber through the leade to the bore, a new barrel will start out a killer, if it is killer capable, that is.

Now, having said the above, I want to add this:

Mother Nature does finish the job. A new rimfire barrel will take a number of rounds of actual shooting before Mother Nature seasons the chamber/leade.........

No matter how well a smith finishes the chamber/leade, the final finish is supplied by Mother Nature.

So here's the glory of it all..............if properly finished, a new barrel will start out shooting through the same hole.........but when they do, MAN, look out, when Mother Nature puts the final, finishing touches on it......MAN, it's going to be double bad........!

Oh, one could just ream the chamber, no finishing, and if the barrel is good, after enough rounds are passed through it, it will shoot...............

But ain't that a silly way to do business, when one can start them shooting at the first shot by doing a meticulous chamber/leade finishing........

There's one other aspect about a properly finished chamber/leade: when you run your first range test, if it don't shoot, it goes in the trash........no amount of shooting will bring it in......there ain't no hoping that if one shoots it enough, it'll come in..........no, it will never shoot.....so by properly finishing the chamber/leade, one knows right off if they've got anything or not.........

A waxed, lead bullet, rimfire accuracy barrel isn't complete until the chamber/leade is meticulously finished.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

"Chamber finsh"

Bill another dumb question, what is the best way to finish a chamber and the angle to the bore, is there an easy way of doing this or is this the magic of a finished chamber and barrel, I don't see this in your book or am I missing something, Thanks for the help Bill.

Regards
    Mark

Friend mark

Bill another dumb question, what is the best way to finish a chamber and the angle to the bore, is there an easy way of doing this or is this the magic of a finished chamber and barrel, I don't see this in your book or am I missing something, Thanks for the help Bill.

Regards
    Mark
    Friend mark:

Chamber finishing is an evolving process for me........

There's two areas that I've not discussed in great detail over the years.......the detailed way I lap and the detailed way I finish my chambers......

At least at the moment I'm still involved in producing competitive RFBR guns......the only way I can stay in business is if my guns are competitive.........which means I, like anyone else, have some things that I reserve for my work...........lapping and chamber finishing are two of them.....

I have written in great detail about how I do both......when I hang up my last shop apron, I intend to publish those two writings.

I will say this; if one kinda reads between the lines, in my book, one can get a pretty good idea how I go about both subjects.......

Chamber????

Thanks Bill, this has been a great help or has it screwed with my mind???, but then again rimfires do play with your mind, this has answered some of my questions, thanks again Bill.

Regards
    Mark

Have a good Christmas
    Mark

Mark,

I have witnessed several of Bill's rifles tested within minutes of being completed. The one thing I can tell you, of what I have seen, I have yet to see one that does not shoot with the range of "killer" accuracy. He is right about mother nature if you want to call it that. He built a Turbo for me in November of 2008 and i did not believe a gun could shoot better. I did manage to match it with an almost perfect ammunition for that rifle and really had a great time in 2009 but the gun just got better and better and continues to do so. I think I may have it once again matched up with an almost perfect ammunition and if so, it will shoot better than ever. I know one of these days it will fall off, but not yet. If I had to put a number on it really beginning to show better accuracy I would say 2500 rounds, but that's just a guess based on the number of matches before I noticed it was actually shooting better.

Friend wsmallwood

Quote Originally Posted by wsmallwood View Post
    Mark,

I have witnessed several of Bill's rifles tested within minutes of being completed. The one thing I can tell you, of what I have seen, I have yet to see one that does not shoot with the range of "killer" accuracy. He is right about mother nature if you want to call it that. He built a Turbo for me in November of 2008 and i did not believe a gun could shoot better. I did manage to match it with an almost perfect ammunition for that rifle and really had a great time in 2009 but the gun just got better and better and continues to do so. I think I may have it once again matched up with an almost perfect ammunition and if so, it will shoot better than ever. I know one of these days it will fall off, but not yet. If I had to put a number on it really beginning to show better accuracy I would say 2500 rounds, but that's just a guess based on the number of matches before I noticed it was actually shooting better.
    Friend wsmallwood:

When one of these things starts out from shot one, bad, then after Mother Nature does Her work, they become double bad, just as Ginger Snap has become.............by the way, if I remember correctly, when the "snap" was pretty new, as I recall, you turned back, to back, to back, triple 2400's at Livonia one evening......that's before Mother Nature done Her business.

Your buddy, BC

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calfee View Post
    Friend wsmallwood:

When one of these things starts out from shot one, bad, then after Mother Nature does Her work, they become double bad, just as Ginger Snap has become.............by the way, if I remember correctly, when the "snap" was pretty new, as I recall, you turned back, to back, to back, triple 2400's at Livonia one evening......that's before Mother Nature done Her business.

Your buddy, BC
    Bill

I think with the same ammo and conditions it would do even better now. As a matter of fact I know it would.