Moon is rising

Timo

One of my friend is shooting lot of groups to longer distances with rf. 100-200 m.

He is also machinist and dont need much help from gunsmith if he needs something to his guns.

Now he decided to make "moon model" pins to his Sako Quad rf.

He makes jig with tighten screw and it is good way to make those pin models with lathe.

Try to put 2 pictures of those.

Later in spring we hear from him how groups are going to 100-200 m with Sako Quad.

Strike place to case is located nice/perfect.

BR,

Timo

Moon jig 1.jpg

Moon jig 2.jpg

Hi Timo, thanks for sharing.
This is a great idea.

Being far from being a gunsmith, question is, how do you take out the original pin? And of course, how do you insert and fix the new one? Tolerances do apply, for sure.

Friend gun fool Timo

One of my friend is shooting lot of groups to longer distances with rf. 100-200 m.

He is also machinist and dont need much help from gunsmith if he needs something to his guns.

Now he decided to make "moon model" pins to his Sako Quad rf.

He makes jig with tighten screw and it is good way to make those pin models with lathe.

Try to put 2 pictures of those.

Later in spring we hear from him how groups are going to 100-200 m with Sako Quad.

Strike place to case is located nice/perfect.

BR,

Timo

View attachment 1620

View attachment 1621

Friend gun fool Timo:

I firmly believe all RFBR action makers will eventually come to this firing pin tip configuration.

I've been blessed to have one in my new MD-PAS pistol, along with the original chisel shape pin.

So it's easy for me to shoot the pistol with both, when I'm testing at the range, for a direct comparison....

I've found either shape will shoot the most uniform rounds from a lot equally well.

In other words, if ammo was 100% completely uniform in construction, there would be no accuracy advantage to either shape.

But........................

The ammo we use, as killer uniform in constructions as some of it is, is not 100% perfect.

So the crescent shape pin is the future.

There is a catch, though.

For the crescent shape pin to have that advantage, it has to be executed absolutely perfect.

DSC00749 - Copy.JPG

One side of the crescent can't dive into the case head ahead of the other side......

So the face of the crescent has to be perfectly parallel to the case head.

Plus, the crescent has to strike across its entire radius the exact same distance from the outside edge of the case head..

And.................be located at the perfect distance from the outside edge of the case head.

All of this is tough to do, perfectly.

Your gun fool friend, BC

Interested in his results

Hi Timo,
I'll definitely be interested in hearing your friends results with his Sako Quad.
Is he making a completely new bolt front to house the firing pin?
Cheers
MickšŸ˜

Back
Top Bottom