The life of Black Death

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
The life of Black Death

CYA friends:

After Big Dog's amazing performance at the 2019 ARA Indoor Nationals, where he upped the ARA Indoor record to 2416.67, some folks are probably wondering:

How can a 12 year old RFBR gun, even a Calfee, shoot like it did at the ARA Indoor?

CYA is dedicated to the advancement of rimfire accuracy.

Here's the life story of Black Death, in detail:.

Barrel:

Black Death still retains the original Shilen ratchet I fit back in 2008.

It has the same crown and chamber.

I did cast a lap about five years ago and de-glazed the bore.

But that's all that's been done to the original Shilen ratchet.

Action:

The E Turbo action on Black Death was of course 12 ignition, as were all E Turbos.

About three years ago I replaced the 12 ignition breech bolt body with a DiOrio V1 body, which of course is 6 ignition.

The original E Turbo locking lug collar was retained, cause the locking lugs were perfectly fit with 100% lug contact.

Trigger:

The original Jewel trigger was replaced about four years ago with a modified FF.

We replaced the tension style re-set spring with one which had additional coils......

We added either 7 or 8 coils, if memory serves me....

Plus, the end hooks of the spring now lay on the outside edge of the spring, instead of on the center line of the spring.

We did this to reduce the upward pressure by the transfer bar against the bottom of the cocking piece.

The end hooks were redesigned to keep them from slipping up over the top of their retaining pins, especially the stationary pin which is attached to the trigger housing proper.

Other than the above listed changes, Black Death is original, otherwise, from when I build it back in 2008.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Black Death is like fine wine, it ages well over time...........(which, after what Big Dog did at the ARA Indoor Nationals is an understatement)

DSC05055%20-%20Copy%202%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy.jpg

But there's more....

But there's more....

CYA friends:

One should never brag on a rimfire, cause they'll let you down every time one does.

Likewise, one should never brag on a shooter's abilities, cause you'll cast a pox on them when you do, if, they don't kill it the next match they attend.

Black Death is bad.......as bad as there's ever been.....

But.........................

As bad as Death is, it had to have a double bad driver to do what happened at the 2019 ARA Indoor Nationals.

Big Dog's been sneaking up on the world of indoor RFBR shooting for years.

And it all came together a few days ago at the ARA Indoor.

A few days ago I listen to Big Dog describe what happened at the 2019 ARA Indoor.

No, I'm not going to reveal any of his techniques......

I'll just say this, that man has some stuff figured out about indoor shooting.

CYA friends, if Big Dog isn't the best indoor RFBR shooter on Earth, he's absolutely equal to the best.

Your friend, BC

Is this man the best indoor RFBR shooter on Earth?...........If he ain't, he's knocking on the door to the title.

Can't wait to see the targets....

Can't wait to see the targets....

CYA friends:

I can't wait to see Big Dog's ARA Indoor Nationals record setting targets.

Out of Big Dog's 150 record bulls, 140 of them are 100's.

Kinda boggles the imagination.........

I can't wait to see how Big Dog's targets cross grade to the IR-50 target.

The IR-50 dot is smaller than the ARA dot.

CYA friends:

I've got a gut feeling, that Big Dog not only produced the greatest pure accuracy performance in ARA history, he may have also produced the greatest pure accuracy performance when cross graded to the IR-50 target.

Your friend, BC

PS:

CYA friends, think about something here:

If memory serves me, the greatest X count in IR-50 history is 127 for a 6 card national event........I think....

With Big Dog kicking out 140, 100's out of his 150 record bulls at the ARA Indoor...

When we get to view his targets, my gut tells me he'll go over 130 IR-50 X's......................

Back
Top Bottom