When you must hit with first shot

Timo

Hi!

Sorry to write about hunting with CF guns here in RFBR site,but I think that one big reason why we have BR shooting here in Finland is history of hunting black grouses & capercaillies with high accurate CF rifle with scope.

On calm mornings those birds are sitting on the top of trees and mostly you must hit with first shot.

Because I am "gun fool" I like different shooting "bränds" also trap & skeet shotgun shooting and also bird shooting when they fly.

But this "top tree bird shooting" is my favourite.

In the forest you dont have sighters,wind reading must make from the nature, rest are also natural.You have bipod or tripod but you have different ground under your gun and vertical problems are always coming if you are not careful.

I got sniper education in Army and it was ofcourse good basic how to hit with first shot.

Hunting is not competition,but ofcourse "top tree hunters" are discussing and praise how long distances they can hit to to black grouse.

My good friend Mr Jari Laulumaa is World Champion 2019 in CFBR shooting and also very eager "top tree hunter".When I said to him,that in this autumn I try to check out how long distance I can get black grouse down, he said me: "Dont play games with food"."Creep near and shoot like before".

I have shooted one black grouse to 405 yd and one goose to 495 yd,but never tried longer.

But now I have made home works and field tests that I put this 405 yd MUCH better this autumn.

My other friend is training sniper shooting to clay pigeons (skeet & trap targets) he praises that he NEVER miss it to 660 yd with his 6,5-284.I know,he is good one.

Try to put picture where is me and my boss. If you ever has possibility to choice your boss, take one who is hunter!!! Then you have possibility to make development discussions in the forest!!!
This pictures place is so near Russian border that if you shoot to east, your bullet can go to Russian-:).

BR, Timo

Ilomantsi (2).jpg

Hi!

Sorry to write about hunting with CF guns here in RFBR site,but I think that one big reason why we have BR shooting here in Finland is history of hunting black grouses & capercaillies with high accurate CF rifle with scope.

On calm mornings those birds are sitting on the top of trees and mostly you must hit with first shot.

Because I am "gun fool" I like different shooting "bränds" also trap & skeet shotgun shooting and also bird shooting when they fly.

But this "top tree bird shooting" is my favourite.

In the forest you dont have sighters,wind reading must make from the nature, rest are also natural.You have bipod or tripod but you have different ground under your gun and vertical problems are always coming if you are not careful.

I got sniper education in Army and it was ofcourse good basic how to hit with first shot.

Hunting is not competition,but ofcourse "top tree hunters" are discussing and praise how long distances they can hit to to black grouse.

My good friend Mr Jari Laulumaa is World Champion 2019 in CFBR shooting and also very eager "top tree hunter".When I said to him,that in this autumn I try to check out how long distance I can get black grouse down, he said me: "Dont play games with food"."Creep near and shoot like before".

I have shooted one black grouse to 405 yd and one goose to 495 yd,but never tried longer.

But now I have made home works and field tests that I put this 405 yd MUCH better this autumn.

My other friend is training sniper shooting to clay pigeons (skeet & trap targets) he praises that he NEVER miss it to 660 yd with his 6,5-284.I know,he is good one.

Try to put picture where is me and my boss. If you ever has possibility to choice your boss, take one who is hunter!!! Then you have possibility to make development discussions in the forest!!!
This pictures place is so near Russian border that if you shoot to east, your bullet can go to Russian-:).

BR, Timo

View attachment 1542

Howdy Timo,

Great post! I enjoyed reading it. A long time ago I read about Finnish shooters going after birds with rifles..........and some of those men were good enough to take the bird in flight. With a rifle! I can't recall the name of the specific bird, but it would likely be the black grouse.

I saw your post the other day about your father in the Finnish/Soviet Union war. The Finnish people put up a mind boggling fight! If it is the one I think it was, the Fins killed over one million Soviets. I have read about this guy with great interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä

I suspect you have been well trained by both the Army and your father.

At least the black grouse think so!

Being able to hunt with your boss seems like a good thing!

Which one are you in the picture?

Take care,

Greg

Hi Greg!

I am the older and ugly one on the right.

Mr Simo Häyhä was REAL SNIPER and BIG war hero here!!! His home is about 20 miles from place I live and we have Simo Häyhä museum also here very near.

www.kollaa-simohayha-museo.fi/fi/etusivu

Finnish Sniper Shooters keep every year Häyhä Competition here.

Arctic Snipers are serious group if someday needed.Hopely never!!!

This is animation,but tells something about Simo:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOBxKnM9J2s

In a finnish interview they asked from Simo what he felt when he killed all the russians, his answer was : the recoil

His home (as mine) is near Russian border and Simo was defending also his home in war.

BR, Timo

Friend Anthony DiOrio

Friend Anthony DiOrio

Anthony, there's so much going on here at CYA that I don't want to disrupt things by starting a totally new thread.

So I'm sneaking off here on one of Timo's threads.

Anthony, I shot my 10-X based MD-PAS pistol tonight...with the spearmental V-3 firing pin you sent...

I'm at least .035" short on firing pin travel.......

But Anthony, this pistol is shooting as well, or better, than it ever has, now with your new V-3 firing pin spearment...

The school is still out.....

Your friend, BC

DSC00736.jpg

Bill,

Thanks for the update. I haven't had a chance to get to my range and test it yet, hopefully later this week.

A question: When you say you are at least 0.035" short on firing pin travel, do you mean you are not pulling the slide back as far as you were with the original firing pin slide installed? For the sake of the discussion, let's say you had 0.180" of firing pin travel with the original slide installed. Now, with the V3 slide installed, you have 0.145"?

Best Regards, Anthony

P.S.: thanks again for testing it quickly.

Friend Anthony "gun fool" DiOrio

Bill,

Thanks for the update. I haven't had a chance to get to my range and test it yet, hopefully later this week.

A question: When you say you are at least 0.035" short on firing pin travel, do you mean you are not pulling the slide back as far as you were with the original firing pin slide installed? For the sake of the discussion, let's say you had 0.180" of firing pin travel with the original slide installed. Now, with the V3 slide installed, you have 0.145"?

Best Regards, Anthony

P.S.: thanks again for testing it quickly.

Friend Anthony "gun fool" DiOrio:

Anthony, the locking lug collar of the 10-X is longer than the Turbo.....

Since I'm using the longer, thicker, 10-X lug collar, I'm still cocking your V-3 firing pin the same distance as the 10-X....

But....................

I'm giving about .035" of it back when I close the bolt.

This is the one difference between the Turbo and 10-X actions....

So, anyone contemplating using your V-3 pin in a 10-X action, will need to move the trigger hanger back about .035", maybe....?

I say maybe, because, from what I saw at the range tonight, it might not be needed....

Anthony, the school is still out......

Now Anthony.........I'm trying not to get too cited....

If needed, all I have to do is to move the hanger in my pistol rearward .035", and readjust the trigger linkage accordingly....

Again I say, "if needed"....

Your friend, BC

PS:

Anthony, I have to ask this:

Would you be willing to sell these V-3 firing pins to folks who currently shoot 10-X actioned guns?

That is, if this spearment turns out like it looks like it may?

Last edited:
Headed to the range

Headed to the range

Gun fool friends:

I've worked this entire day timing the ignition on my MD-PAS pistol, to be in tune with the new DiOrio firing pin...

I was only going to add .035" of pin travel.....

But I decided to go ahead and time the whole thing....

I wound up adding .043"-.044" of firing pin travel....

I"m .013" off my mechanical stop.....

I don't believe this........

This thing might not work.......but man it's sexy..........ain't that a silly thing to say about a RFBR gun?

I'm cited.......like you simply can't believe....

Off to the range.....

Gun fool friends, I'm too old, and too crippled up to be doing this.....................

So what do I do?

Get in that old, 20 year old F-150, and go to the range.......

Your friend, BC

I love this pistol......I love it even more with its V-3 spearmental firing pin.....

DSC00737.jpg

Didn't get to shoot, way too windy

Didn't get to shoot, way too windy

Gun fool friends:

Way too windy to test last evening......today may be good......much warmer...

To take full advantage of the adjustable trigger hanger, and the tremendous amount of firing pin travel variation available in the V-3 XP action, the trigger linkage must be adjustable...

When the trigger hanger is adjusted to change pin travel, it also moves the trigger shoe.....

So the trigger linkage must be adjustable to compensate.

The adjustable linkage I made for my new pistol is too complicated, plus, the screws need to be about 1/4" further toward the trigger.

The XP stock has a pocket right above the pistol grip, so there's more room for screw heads there, than where I placed mine on this first linkage.

This linkage is way too complicated.....and slightly misplaced...

DSC00737.jpg

Here's a doodle of how I'm going to make my new linkage...

DSC00737%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy.jpg

EDIT:

CYA friends, I messed the above doodle up......below is the correct version....

Can you see where I messed up the top doodle?........

DSC00737%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_1.jpg

Last edited:
Friend RB4

Yep... The slotting for the left screw of the linkage.

Friend RB4:

You're exactly right.......

Thank you....

By the way, here's what I wound up doing:

I took the easy route, and re-did my existing linkage...

The four screws I originally used were of poor quality, and slotted.......but had thin heads to clear the slot in the bottom of the stock...

Actually, only the rear of the four had a clearance issue.......

Anyway, I found some small washers and used some good, alloy, socket head bolts and corrected the issue.......

This eliminated the rear screw clearance problem...

Now I'm happy with it.....

By the way, the linkage is fully adjustable now, through the entire range of the V-3 XP pin travel possibilities.

DSC00753.jpg

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom