Can position RF be competative in RFBR shooting?

Timo

I told few times ago that my friends 3P 22 LR shoots in ammo test 30 shots group to meters 0,52 " group outside to outside measured.

It has old Diana action and Broughton barrel 26 ".Barreled & Chambered by Jan Stenroos.

On tuesday morning I had possibility to shoot with this rf. I put 10-50x60 Sightron on it and Mr Tapani Nousianen has made nice pieces (try to put picture) what we can put under 3 P rf:s front stock.

I try to put also picture of 10 shot group with RWS R 50 (Lot number is 250,not very bad lot number to I.R.50/50 shooter-:).

I shot to I.R.50/50 target to meters and I think that I can continue shooting all the day or to evening and hits dont ever lost ten to meters.
(Near no wind).

I think with this rf it is possible to be competative also in RFBR shooting. There was no tuner on it and if put Harrels on it it can go only better....

It was also intresting to here from my friend (over 70 year old) history of Diana rf:s.He told that best 50 shots groups with Original Diana (Krico) barrel has been 0,55 " OTO.

He has also very strong opinion that those very good black steel barrels was made from "pure steel" and when comes "recycling steel" barrels were not so good anymore????

BR, Timo

Diana RWS.jpg

Diana tuki.jpg

Hi Timo

Your old friend may have had a point but I don't think it applies any more.

I have heard the same story with the following reasoning.

Depending on where you are in the world after the second world war for some time there was a lot of recycled steel that included such things as a lot of armor plate.

And it was not uncommon to find mid way through a piece of steel that the properties changed giving inconsistent results.

Today with modern Spectrographic equipment the steel in the melt pot can be tested and adjustments made for a more accurate alloying.

But I suppose it is not unreasonable for someone who had to deal with these inconsistent steels to still carry this opinion to today.

I would say the situation would have been different if you come from somewhere where they mine iron and make steel.

Regards
Graham

I told few times ago that my friends 3P 22 LR shoots in ammo test 30 shots group to meters 0,52 " group outside to outside measured.

It has old Diana action and Broughton barrel 26 ".Barreled & Chambered by Jan Stenroos.

On tuesday morning I had possibility to shoot with this rf. I put 10-50x60 Sightron on it and Mr Tapani Nousianen has made nice pieces (try to put picture) what we can put under 3 P rf:s front stock.

I try to put also picture of 10 shot group with RWS R 50 (Lot number is 250,not very bad lot number to I.R.50/50 shooter-:).

I shot to I.R.50/50 target to meters and I think that I can continue shooting all the day or to evening and hits dont ever lost ten to meters.
(Near no wind).

I think with this rf it is possible to be competative also in RFBR shooting. There was no tuner on it and if put Harrels on it it can go only better....

It was also intresting to here from my friend (over 70 year old) history of Diana rf:s.He told that best 50 shots groups with Original Diana (Krico) barrel has been 0,55 " OTO.

He has also very strong opinion that those very good black steel barrels was made from "pure steel" and when comes "recycling steel" barrels were not so good anymore????

BR, Timo

View attachment 1525

View attachment 1526

There is no doubt there have been many great position rifles, and it is incredible how well the best position shooters can shoot them.

But over the years I've seen some of the best of these rifles, and shooters attend RFBR matches.

Quite normally they don't do that well.

In today's RFBR you really need a purpose built rifle to compete.

That said, we need to encourage these guys and gals to come to our matches and get involved.

We can learn a lot from them, particularly their training techniques, and mental attitude, and they may pickup a trick or two from us.

TKH

Main thing why I shooted this 3P rf is that here is one new young guy coming to RFBR and need good irons with reasonable price.

I recommend him to buy this irons, put Harrels to it and purchase BR stock and make bedding same way,this old 3P shooter has done his stock.

Diana action is VERY long and not so stiff as Turbo or other RFBR actions.

There is bedding mass only around screws like scope mounts and about 100 mm back action dont touch to stock.

I have seen before that this works good when action is not very stiff.

Yes, it is amazing how 3P shooters can take everything out of their rf:s when they shoot lying-down position.

Best of them shoots as small groups from hand that we can shoot from 2-piece rests.We test that few years ago with our team.One of our guy has shooted 2 times 600 points from lying-down position competition.His 10 shots groups were same size as his rifle gives from linear guided bench.Hat off!

And best of them are very serious.They have different barrel and/or ammo to windy and calm conditions.They trust only 30/40/50 shots groups when testing ammo etc.

And best of them are mentally very strong.

Nice to see how this new guy can make with those irons against to our best RFBR shooters.Against father&son Korpi,Nousiainen,Murisoja family,etc.

BR, Timo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom