You asked for it.......

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
You asked for it.......

Friend 404tbang:

You asked me what would happen, if I fit one of my sporta barrels to my new MD-PAS triple pistol?

Today I did this........

My new MD-PAS triple pistol is now fit with a sporta barrel......

I'll go into great detail about it later......I shot it this evening at the range...

But first:

I've got to give a call to my little 20 year old, Ford, F-150 pick up truck.....

I bought this little F-150 back in 1999......when I retired after 36 years from the utility business.

It's been in no telling how many of my range pictures over these last 20 years, as I was testing new builds, and spearmentin'.....

Today I tested a sporta barrel that I fit to my new MD-PAS triple pistol.....and my little F-150 was in the background when I took this picture.

DSC00531%20-%20Copy.jpg

Friend 404tbang, if you got in this little F-150 and drove it today, after 20 years, you'd think you were driving it off the showroom floor, brand new.

It's the most amazing vehicle I've ever been around in my lifetime.....

It is brand new today, even though it is 20 years old....

No wonder Ford trucks are the No1 selling vehicle in the USA....

OK, enough.......

I'll post pictures of what happened this evening, at the range, when I shot a sporta barrel on my new MD-PAS, triple pistol...

A hint.......it killed it........

Bang, the old Hawk likes to call you Bang....

Your asked for it........and this sporta barrel is killer on my new pistol.....

Your friend, BC

CYA friends......and thinking out loud to AD

CYA friends:

When I discussed the idea for my 2nd generation sporta barrel profile with Shilen, they asked me to produce a prototype and send them, which I did.

When I produced my prototype I used a 1/2" radius, formed lathe bit, to machine the two steps in the barrel where it is reduced in diameter.

Shilen wanted to do the entire profiling in their tracer lathe as opposed to having to hand machine the 1/2" radius steps....

The smallest radius they could produce with their tracer lathe was 3.000"......

So I agreed that would be OK......

The 3 inch radius, which makes the barrel slightly heavier, shortened the actual bore length by about .400"..............or so.

Which was fine....

Otherwise the Shilen 2nd gen sporta profile is identical to the prototype I sent them....

So by suggestion from 404tbang, the ole Hawk calls him Bang, I fit this prototype 2nd gen sporta barrel to my new MD-PAS pistol today...

And the thing shot simply amazing........

I used some of the odds and ends Eley Robert Oates sent me last fall...

DSC00530%20-%20Copy.jpg

For Anthony DiOrio:

Thinking out loud here.....

I had to move the shoulder of this barrel about .040" to head space it correctly.

My new pistol uses a countersunk recoil lug that is clamped to the action by the shoulder of the barrel.......just like a XP-100.

The clamped thickness of the .187" recoil lug is .050", like we've discussed.....

The recoil lug is not pinned or screwed to the action......simply clamped.

It was absolutely no issue to tighten the barrel while keeping the recoil lug in the correct location.

Because the recoil lug turns with the action as it is tightened, unlike most XP-100's when the barrel is tightened.

On an XP one has to off set the recoil lug slightly, hoping to have it come into proper alignment when the action is tight.....

But, on a custom quality action face and the .750" diameter tenon, the recoil lug rotates with the action while being tightened.

I simply aligned the recoil lug, while hand tightening the barrel, then installed it in the barrel vice and brought it to full tightness, and the recoil lug did not move in relation to the action.

So in my opinion the recoil lug does not need to be screwed, or pinned, to the action face on these new pistol actions....

You most certainly can if you wish, of course, but, it won't be any hassle, at all, for the schmidts if you don't.

Of course if you decide to shoulder the barrel directly to the action face, then you'll have to bolt the recoil lug to the face of the action.

Your friend, BC

PS:

By the way, this barrel started out as a .850" straight profile, Lilja 6 groove......

I shrank fit the weight head to the muzzle end to be able to produce the sporta prototype for Shilen....

The back bore extends back past the shrunk fit weight head, so the accuracy was not affected.

And the barrel would make a killer IR-50 sporta, but it would not be legal........

This is why I still have it today....

DSC00533.jpg

NOTE:

For anyone who read this, I just made a couple of changes, so you might want to re-read it.....

The changes have to do with the fact that on a custom square, action face using the .750" barrel tenon, the recoil lug rotates with the action as the barrel is tightened.......I had stated this the other way originally.....bc

Last edited:
You asked for it.......

Friend 404tbang:

You asked me what would happen, if I fit one of my sporta barrels to my new MD-PAS triple pistol?

Today I did this........

My new MD-PAS triple pistol is now fit with a sporta barrel......

I'll go into great detail about it later......I shot it this evening at the range...

But first:

I've got to give a call to my little 20 year old, Ford, F-150 pick up truck.....

I bought this little F-150 back in 1999......when I retired after 36 years from the utility business.

It's been in no telling how many of my range pictures over these last 20 years, as I was testing new builds, and spearmentin'.....

Today I tested a sporta barrel that I fit to my new MD-PAS triple pistol.....and my little F-150 was in the background when I took this picture.

DSC00531%20-%20Copy.jpg

Friend 404tbang, if you got in this little F-150 and drove it today, after 20 years, you'd think you were driving it off the showroom floor, brand new.

It's the most amazing vehicle I've ever been around in my lifetime.....

It is brand new today, even though it is 20 years old....

No wonder Ford trucks are the No1 selling vehicle in the USA....

OK, enough.......

I'll post pictures of what happened this evening, at the range, when I shot a sporta barrel on my new MD-PAS, triple pistol...

A hint.......it killed it........

Bang, the old Hawk likes to call you Bang....

Your asked for it........and this sporta barrel is killer on my new pistol.....

Your friend, BC

Howdy Bill,

Well looky there! Lookatit! LOOK.AT.THAT!

Wow! Bill Calfee, you don't mess around!

That can't weigh much of nothing. And if you say it shoots killer...............it shoots killer.

This may sound silly, but that has such a clean look to it without a regular MD on it.

I think it's pretty cool that you put the actual Second Generation Calfee Sporter Prototype barrel on it.

Now, obviously, whatever barrel you leave on it simply has to be the most accurate barrel you have. But man alive, that thing looks COOL!

Didja take any pics of the targets?

Take care,

Greg

P.S. Bill, thanks for putting up with my silly questions and suggestions for all these years. And thanks for fitting that barrel on there. That just looks so cool! I can't TELL you how big I'm grinning right now. Of course you realize that's the first like that...........but it won't be the last. I have a feeling AD is going to be a verrrrry busy man when he finishes the work on his pistol action and trigger design.

P.S.S. Of course you realize, that thing needs a name..............I already have several in mind. A couple of good ones would get taken wrong, so I won't post them. But that thing needs a NAME.

I can't wait til you get that into the hands of a player who can wring all of the potential out of it............and leave rifle shooters staring in disbelief. That's sorta tough for me to say, I have always loved the rifle. But still, that little pistol is COOL!

Last edited:
Friend 404tbang

Friend 404tbang

Friend 404tbang:

This prototype 2nd gen barrel I made up for Shilen is the one I used to machine a shielded cone breech in, for demonstration purposes, back in 2017'...

So to fit it to my new MD-PAS pistol, all I had to do was move the barrel shoulder back about .040", to head space it, and then it was ready to shoot, with extractors...

Actually, the extractors will pull a live round, which is unheard of on guns with cone breeches....

CYankee schmidts don't do cone breeches........unless some super rare occasion demands it......

But if one had to do a cone breech, the proper way is to shield it.........then there's no worry about dinging the chamber if accidentally dry fired...

So since this prototype barrel really has no value, it's illegal for a IR-50 sporta, and it really would not be competitive enough for the heavy classes, as demanded by CYankee shooters, I decided to machine the cone breech in it...

And it actually came in handy when I fit it to my new pistol.....

DSC08387.jpg

Greg, it's a catch 22.......

To have a fixed MD, like this prototype sporta barrel, one has to either start with a 1.150" blank, or, shrink on the MD to a straight profiled blank, like I did this one.

So for heavy guns, it's just more economical, and simpler, to use a straight profiled blank, then add a HH/MD to it.

I will say this:

If this barrel were one piece, it'd already be on a killer sporta....

You're right, Anthony DiOrio is a busy man.......and it's going to get worse shortly......

And on top of everything else he's going to start producing sporta's......

3 gun shooting is controlled by the sporta class.....and there's so very few sporta's in this world like Deputy Sheriff......

Anthony and I had a long discussion a few days back about how to figure the weight head size and back bore depth for sporta's....

And in the next few weeks I'm going to start working with Jeff Patterson about the same subject, as Jeff's going to start producing sporta's, too.

Your friend, BC

This thing is fun to shoot.....

And by the way, since I've got the Broughton off the pistol, I'm going to go ahead and re-lap it.......

As killer at that Broughton shoots, I still haven't re-lapped it after I profiled it down for my pistol....

And the bore is most certainly degraded somewhat from the profiling, especially in the breech end...

DSC00533.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom