The most amazing photograph

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
The most amazing photograph

CYA friends:

This photograph by CYA member Deveng showing the end of a 3/32" rod stopped by a MD, is the most amazing visual piece of evidence as to the function of a MD that I've personally ever viewed.

For years there's been some computer animations floating around these Internet sites showing barrel vibrations, while at the same time attempting to justify the ridiculous compensation theory nonsense.

The computer generated animations showing barrel vibrations are fine for what they are.....animations.

But the attempt to justify the ridiculous compensation theory nonsense through those computer animations, is the halcyon example of the old adage about computers: "garbage in, garbage out"

What makes the Deveng photograph completely unique, compared to simple computer animations, is that it's real life.

Deveng%20spearment%20with%20rod%20tip%20stopped.jpg

But.............................

When I first saw this amazing picture by CYA member Deveng, I instantly saw it portrayed an incorrect fact.

But the picture was so absolutely astonishing, that I chose to allow it to soak in for a while, as is, because of its visual, real life importance to understanding exactly how a muzzle device works.

I've started a little doodle, which I'll complete shortly, then I'll post it.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
I have been looking at these pictures now for a week or so. I must be dense, because I just don't get it here. I have one question about your muzzle being stopped. It appears to be stopped in a lateral fashion. However, it seems to be very active in an angular fashion at the cross point. If the bullet is leaving that spot and is not tied to barrel timing, won't the bullets be sprayed to the same angles as the barrel is at that "stopped" location. It just seems to me this would be the worst place because angle changes move the bullet much more down range versus any parallel motion??

Friend Geo

I have been looking at these pictures now for a week or so. I must be dense, because I just don't get it here. I have one question about your muzzle being stopped. It appears to be stopped in a lateral fashion. However, it seems to be very active in an angular fashion at the cross point. If the bullet is leaving that spot and is not tied to barrel timing, won't the bullets be sprayed to the same angles as the barrel is at that "stopped" location. It just seems to me this would be the worst place because angle changes move the bullet much more down range versus any parallel motion??

Friend Geo:

I chose my words very carefully when I posted this amazing photograph.....

If you notice, I said the tip of the rod is stopped, I didn't say the muzzle of a gun barrel would be stopped in this representation.

Friend Geo, you're very observant......or you've read my book.....or both.

As soon as I finish my doodle I'll post it....

Your friend, BC

Deveng%20spearment%20with%20rod%20tip%20stopped.jpg

Geo or Bill,

Please explain angular vs. lateral as you have lost me on this. For lack of a more technical term it looks to me that stopped is stopped, meaning at that point it is not moving. If the rod were being held horizontally, gravity would tend to bend the rod downward out towards the unsupported end but the parallel node would still exist and would seem to be the only consistent place for the bullet to exit.

Steve

Friend Az_Speed

Geo or Bill,

Please explain angular vs. lateral as you have lost me on this. For lack of a more technical term it looks to me that stopped is stopped, meaning at that point it is not moving. If the rod were being held horizontally, gravity would tend to bend the rod downward out towards the unsupported end but the parallel node would still exist and would seem to be the only consistent place for the bullet to exit.

Steve

Friend Az_Speed:

I was getting ready to head to the range to shoot my new MD-PAS triple pistol, when I turned on my machine and saw your post, just now.

Az, if you go back to when CYA member Deveng first posted his historical photograph, I said at that time I had a further comment to make about his amazing picture.

And I've repeated that comment several times since here on CYA....

This photograph of CYA member Deveng is so outstanding, showing that a MD will move the node, or dead spot, which I term the parallel node, to the exit of the crown, that I've chosen to let it soak in for a few days before I comment as to what it doesn't represent.

I'll finish my doodle shortly, and post it.

Please keep something in mind.....

Friend Deveng's photograph is so revolutionary in representing how a MD moves the dead spot to the exit of the crown, that I wasn't about to diminish its importance with my additional comment, until it had time to soak in.

Your friend, BC

PS:

Az, an additional comment:

When you view this amazing picture of Deveng's, keep in mind that the oscillations of a gun barrel take place in about .001"...

This amazing picture, like those computer generated graphics that have floated around the Internet for years, is several thousand times more exaggerated than the actual oscillations of a gun barrel, when fired

Last edited:
Some real measurements

Hi Az_Speed

I did some tests on a naked barrel some years ago.

I actually copied Geoffrey Kolbe's paper pretty much to the letter and built all the specialized measuring equipment.

Using the polarizing filters set at different angles I have to admit it was a very cunning way of measuring the angular measurement of the muzzle without the movement of the barrel interfering and shows Geoffrey is cleaver.

So it just measured the muzzle angles.

When I was finished I could not get the results that Geoffrey got reliable, I communicated with him for help but no real advice changed anything.

That's when I went to measuring the actual movement of the barrel relative to the ground using high speed lasers.(These graphs look similar to Varment Al's but with a different time base)

Back to the results from my Geoffrey experiment I could get different results to pretty much whatever I wanted depending on the filtering and choosing which shoot to show.

Here is some typical results, just note that when the barrel twists up the graph went down (just a setting in my measurement equipment)

Also the scale on the left means nothing to calibrate this I mounted a laser to the muzzle and mechanically bent the barrel at a measured angle (bullet exit angle) and noted the laser position on a distant target.

I can't find my notes just right now but the amount of deflection on the target at about 2.2ms (time the bullet leaves) was F*** all from the angular twist.

Barrel angle 900ms.jpg

Barrel angle bullet exit.jpg

The bullet exits the barrel at about 2.2ms

Remember this was a naked barrel

Regards
Graham

Back
Top Bottom