Is it time to solve the upward pressure issue?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Is it time to solve the upward pressure issue?

CYA friends:

Since the subject of a new FF trigger has come up, I'd like to make a proposal:

Instead of spending so much time on lightness of pull, since it looks like the new FF can be adjusted down to zero, assuming it will be slap fire, fool proof safe,
why don't some of the trigger makers now start concentrating on reducing the upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece?

A proposal for the folks at FF and B&A:

How about seeing how much upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece you can eliminate from your triggers.

Or better yet, how about producing a manual re-set version of your trigger?

This way the upward pressure issue is completely eliminated.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

FF%20trigger%202%20-%20Copy.jpg

PS:

Been doing some doodling....

CYA friends, the FF trigger just begs to have a manual reset version...

And it would be pretty simple.......

The tension style reset spring would be removed.....see upper picture..

In its place would be an internal reset lever.......

There would be an external reset lever incorporated, that resembles the safety lever button of a factory Remington trigger.

By the way, when the reset button is pushed, then released, the reset lever falls away from the third lever.

My doodle shows it in contact as it resets the third lever.

FF%20trigger%203%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy.jpg

CYA friends, there's another factor, that has to with safety, that is a benefit of a manual reset trigger.

Auto reset triggers do not have contact between the sear engagement surfaces until the action comes to battery.

When you close the breech bolt on an auto reset trigger, the sear engagement surfaces are slapped together...

The harder you close the breech bolt, the harder the sear engagement surfaces are slapped together.

On a manual re-set trigger, the sear engagement surfaces become in contact as soon as the reset lever is activated.

So the sear engagement surfaces are not slapped together......because they're already in contact with each other.

So the danger of slap fires is greatly reduced...

Additional:

CYA friends:

I've added a picture to explain where the "sear engagement" surfaces are in the FF trigger.

I've placed two little arrows at the two engagement surfaces....

By the way, this picture is of the FF trigger out of battery, or course.....

If you look closely, you can see there's a gap between the two sear engagement surfaces.

Just like all auto reset triggers, these two surfaces are slapped together when the trigger comes to battery...(when you close the breech bolt)

FF%20trigger%203%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_1.jpg

Last edited:
But Calfee, "I can't shoot a manual reset trigger".

But Calfee, "I can't shoot a manual reset trigger".

CYA friends:

Oh yes you can.

Shooting a RFBR gun with a manual reset trigger, is absolutely no handicap to shooting an auto reset trigger.

Actually, it may be the other way.

After using a manual reset trigger for the last five years of my shooting career, I actually believe they are an advantage...

But CYA friends, here's the biggie:

There's zero upward pressure by the transfer bar, against the bottom of the cocking piece, as the firing pin is moving forward to produce ignition.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

It's a non-factor

It's a non-factor

CYA friends:

Shooting a manual reset trigger is a non-factor in RFBR shooting.

After Donna Brown had had her manual reset trigger in her pistol for awhile, I asked her how she was getting along with it.

She said she paid no attention to it whatsoever.

When one first starts using a manual reset trigger you'll forget to reset it a few times, then after awhile it'll become totally second nature.

CYA friends, since we have to deal with the Remington pattern trigger design, the one area we have left to deal with is this upward pressure issue.

That's why I'm trying to get the trigger in my pistol gummed up, so I can see how much it will take for it to fail to reset.

Right now my pistol trigger has the lightest upward pressure of any trigger I have ever used, without it being manual reset.

Your friend, BC

Donna's manual reset trigger is second nature.

Pic6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom