If there had never been the Turbo RFBR action

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
If there had never been the Turbo RFBR action

CYA friends:

The level of rimfire accuracy we're at today, has been brought about by Flash Ebert and his MD-PAS ignition, Turbo RFBR action.

What if there had never been the Turbo action?

Where would be at today?

The quick answer is this:

About 12-15 years behind where we're at today.

I'm going to explore this subject in detail.....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

What if....

What if....

CYA friends:

What if over the years, we had every RFBR action that we have today but the Turbo?

What would the world of rimfire accuracy look like today without there having ever been the Turbo action?

How about we start with this:

If left up to SAP ignitioned RFBR actions, there would be no 12,000 plus PSL scores.

More coming.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

This is such a fascinating subject

This is such a fascinating subject

CYA friends:

What would the world of rimfire accuracy look like today, if there had never been the MD-PAS Turbo RFBR action?

I was laying in bed last night pondering this.

As a RFBR schmidt, who went through the development of the Turbo action back in the late 90's, I fully understand how it changed the world of rimfire accuracy.

The Turbo action is what stopped the first pistol revolution.

After I finally agreed to build a RFBR rifle on this new Turbo action, and tested it, I knew immediately that the world of rimfire accuracy was about to be elevated.

And there was "absolutely" no doubt after I built and tested my second Turbo rifle build......

Something was different about this new Turbo action.

It produced accuracy like I had never experienced before.

At first I did not consider, or I should say understand, the role that ignition was playing with this new Turbo action.

The first time I tore one apart, it was obvious Flash Ebert had based his Turbo on the 52 Winchester.

And I had had great success with the 52 Winchester.......Selby Wright half tracking the field at the 1992 BR-50 Nationals is just one example.

But the role ignition played didn't jump out at me.....until later.

The first of two things I figured were causing the remarkable accuracy I was getting with my Turbo builds were the .750" barrel thread diameter, which allowed me to use straight profiled barrels...

And the second thing was the rear, horizontal lug lock-up, which eliminated some of the issues with the Remington pattern trigger, although not all.

But something happened about the same time as the new Turbo came out:

There was another RFBR action starting to be produced, at the same time, that used rear, horizontal lug lock-up and a .750" diameter barrel thread.

But I could not produce the accuracy with this other custom RFBR action that I could with the Turbo.

So the 750" barrel thread and the rear, horizontal lug lock-up were not the total cause of the Turbo producing such amazing accuracy.

So what was different about these new Turbo actions that caused them to produce such amazing accuracy?

More later....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

What was the difference?

What was the difference?

CYA friends:

When the Turbo first came out, there was another custom RFBR action being produced, that used horizontal lug lock-up and a .750" barrel thread.

But, I simply could not produce the same level of accuracy with this other custom action that I could with the Turbo.

And it wasn't just me....

Other schmidts were producing killer accuracy with the new Turbo, and no one, including me, could produce killer accuracy with the other custom action.

Why?

IGNITION

More later.....cause it's too important not to have this subject discussed, particularly for new shooters who don't know where to turn.

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Ignition, it's what made the Turbo action dominate rimfire accuracy

Ignition, it's what made the Turbo action dominate rimfire accuracy

CYA friends:

The MD-PAS Turbo action dominates like it does because of its remarkable ignition.

It's hard for me to imagine starting a new RFBR build today without using the Turbo's remarkable ignition system.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Back
Top Bottom