Trigger issues

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Trigger issues

CYA friends:

Here's a picture of a B&A trigger installed in a custom RFBR action.

The arrow on the left, points to the sharp upper edge, corner, of the angled engagement surface of the transfer bar.

Here's an issue that can develop because of that sharp edge:

IF, this sharp corner of the angled engagement surface does all of the holding of the cocking piece when the action is at battery, over time this sharp corner can gut a groove in the cocking piece.

When this happens, the cocking piece will sometimes fail to override the transfer bar when the trigger is pulled.

The cocking piece will be held by that sharp corner and will not override the transfer bar.

By the way, this can happen with the Jewel, FF and B&A triggers.

CYA friends, the Remington pattern trigger is the best target trigger design ever.

CYA friends, the Remington pattern trigger is the worst target trigger design ever.

Either way, we're stuck trying to deal with it after all these years.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

If the relationship between the angled engagement surfaces of the cocking piece and transfer bar, in your contraption, are such, that the sharp top corner of the transfer bar does all of the restraining of the cocking piece when at battery, you will at some point, most likely, have failures to fire when the trigger is pulled.

2500X-3%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Friend Bill,

For the inexperienced and unwashed, any chance you have a picture of a groove cut in a cocking piece or a picture of the cocking piece with an arrow pointing to where the groove will be? Thank you.

Your Friend,

Steve

Friend Az_Speed

Friend Bill,

For the inexperienced and unwashed, any chance you have a picture of a groove cut in a cocking piece or a picture of the cocking piece with an arrow pointing to where the groove will be? Thank you.

Your Friend,

Steve

Friend Az_Speed:

DSC06277%20-%20Copy.jpg

Thank you, Bill. That is very helpful.

I learned something else today about the B&A triggers. They have three different sears to get various heights. There is a video and chart at BulletCentral.com where they describe how to take the measurements and which sear allows you to attain the correct height of the transfer bar. If the height is not within a specific range the trigger will malfunction. I had no idea.

Your friend,

Steve

Friend Az_Speed

Thank you, Bill. That is very helpful.

I learned something else today about the B&A triggers. They have three different sears to get various heights. There is a video and chart at BulletCentral.com where they describe how to take the measurements and which sear allows you to attain the correct height of the transfer bar. If the height is not within a specific range the trigger will malfunction. I had no idea.

Your friend,

Steve

Friend Az_Speed:

The problem could simply be eliminated if the trigger makers, all of them, would eliminate that sharp top corner of the transfer bar.

When I do a build I always examine this issue, with the trigger furnished, and if the condition exists I carefully stone that sharp top corner to eliminate the sharp edge....

This can be done without lowering the cocking piece engagement height enough to alter the positive interface between the transfer bar and cocking piece.

This issue, and others like altering the firing pin travel, is why changing triggers is not a simple drop-in process.

Your friend, BC

We have found some gain in this area. Short of having 90 degree these contacts have to be correct for good consistent ignition.
Todd

Back
Top Bottom