More trigger work...

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
More trigger work...

CYA friends.

Happy Easter.

After working on my pistol trigger conversion today, here's where I'm at:

I've either got something extremely unique going on......

Or, I'm kidding myself......

Or, I ain't got nothing worth fooling with.........for the MD-PAS pistol trigger, for the masses.

(The neighbor lady just brought me over three big plates of Easter food...and I'm starved)

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Here's the third lever machining and the return spring I made up....

There's only one way Anthony DiOrio could possible do his new triggers like I'm doing this one....

He would have to get ready made springs to fit.....somewhere, somehow, cause this spring was a bear to make up.

DSC00166.jpg

Here's the trigger in the "at battery" position.

DSC00155.jpg

Here's the trigger in the "discharged" position.

DSC00163.jpg

Here's the most amazing thing about this way of returning the third lever/transfer bar:

Look closely and you can see where I marked the housing with the position of the third lever when at battery and discharged.

This spring only moves maybe .100", at most.......

Compare this to the Bond, and how much the spring has to move....

Or compare it to a Jewel.......

DSC00169.jpg

Here's another amazing thing:

I held the trigger in my bench vise to take these pictures...

I had a "L" shaped sear installed so the third lever would have something to rest on, to show the actual positions the trigger will have.

It was a "L" shaped shaped sear with just the first piece of linkage attached, so I could activate the trigger to take the pictures.

I bet this piece of linkage doesn't weigh an ounce.

Yet with it hanging down in the vise the trigger would not stay at battery...

I had to prop it up to take the "at battery" pictures....

In other words, even without the third lever being re-hardened, and no stoning at all, just the machine cuts, this trigger takes no more than one ounce to discharge it....

Yes, some pull weight will be added when I install a trigger return spring.

But man I'm cited.....

Or, am I foolishly overlooking something........bc

Oh, and one other thing.....(and here's where I might really be fooling myself).

Since the spring only moves about .100", right now this trigger has the least amount of upward pressure against the bottom of the cocking piece of any trigger...................

Except a manual re-set trigger....

And this thing don't miss it by much....

Now, am I getting fooled here.....?

CYA friends, if you look at the picture where I've marked the amount of spring movement on the back of the trigger housing, for some perspective of how little the spring moves, compare the width of the marks to the drill bit that's holding the third lever.

That drill bit is .071" in diameter.

Last edited:
I've slept on it now....

I've slept on it now....

CYA friends, especially AD:

I've slept on this thing now....

So how do things stand:

First:

The drill bit holding the third lever is .071" in diameter....

If you look at the marks on the back of the housing, left side, they indicate the full range the tension spring is pulled between "at battery" and "discharged".

So the spring may not even be pulled .100" each cycle.

Which means the spring should last forever.

DSC00169.jpg

Also, since the spring moves so little each cycle, the upward pressure of the transfer bar on the cocking piece remains about the same from the initial release of the trigger sear until the cocking piece completely over rides the transfer bar and starts on its way to produce ignition.

Here's why I'm explaining this:

On every other target trigger I know of, as the cocking piece initially starts to over ride the transfer bar the upward pressure is the lightest...

As the cocking piece depresses the transfer bar further and further, the upward pressure increases until it's at its maximum right at the point of complete over ride.

No trigger I've ever checked has such a light upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece as this one I'm fooling with.

Except a manual re-set trigger which has zero.

One other thing......I've not cut the groove in the top of the third lever, since the idea for doing that was to reduce the amount of upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece...

Having said all of the above:

My gut is telling me that when I heat treat the third lever, and install the trigger in my new MD-PAS pistol, I'll find a catch to all of this.

This is so good, that it can't possibly be true.......

I have to be over looking something...

Now here's maybe the worst possibility:

Say this trigger, the way I've got the return spring setup, does do exactly what I'm seeing.........

To make it a reality, someway, somehow that spring is going to have to be found....

This spring may kill the whole thing......

It was a bear to make....

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Spring

I bet a spring that small was a pain. My limited experience with winding my own from music wire usually makes for a bunch of wasted springs on either side of where I was trying to get to. The wire diameter looks bigger than I expected but it may be an illusion of how close in the picture is taken. Since its only moving 0.075"-0.100" it probably takes some decent spring pressure to make sure it returns but reflects little on the upward pressure side from the minimal leverage it has on the working part of the 3rd lever. The spring's placement is conveniently out of the way as well. Looks nice.

Tad

Friend Tad E

I bet a spring that small was a pain. My limited experience with winding my own from music wire usually makes for a bunch of wasted springs on either side of where I was trying to get to. The wire diameter looks bigger than I expected but it may be an illusion of how close in the picture is taken. Since its only moving 0.075"-0.100" it probably takes some decent spring pressure to make sure it returns but reflects little on the upward pressure side from the minimal leverage it has on the working part of the 3rd lever. The spring's placement is conveniently out of the way as well. Looks nice.

Tad

Friend Tad E:

Thank you.....

I just came in from the shop.....

First of all, you know I always tell folks to never brag on a rimfire, cause they'll let you down every time you do....

Well, I ain't going to brag on this trigger........yet.......but after today I'm awful close to it...

Today I made up a sear adjustment like the Bond.....in the bottom of the housing...

I used a 6x48 screw because I don't want the adjustment to be too sensitive.....and it works perfect.

I also made up a trigger return spring and adjustment, also like the Bond.

After I got everything done and put together, the trigger would not re-set positive........

So I had no choice but to remove a coil from the return spring...

Yes, doing a spring like this TAD, by hand, is a nightmare....

So I removed one coil, and re-shaped the new hook so it sits at 90 degrees to the hook that goes into the third lever.

This makes the spring sit square in the housing.

Here's a picture.

DSC00177.jpg

Here's a picture of the complete installation...

DSC00187.jpg

Tad, keep something in mind here:

I have not re-hardened the third lever yet.....

And, I have not stoned the sear contact point.....it is as machined.

But, I ain't going to brag.............even with the third lever soft, this is the best trigger I've ever had in a pistol....

I adjusted the sear engagement until I could no longer cause it to slap fire...

And the thing is as light as about any trigger I've ever used.

I then added a bunch of sear engagement, to keep from brushing off the soft sear edge, and snapped it several more times.

I ain't going to brag..........yet.

Cause sure as I do I'll wind up eating crow.......which I've done a few times over the years.

One other thing.....which ain't got nothing to do with nothing.....

I'm finding out that Anthony DiOrio is more like a kid with this pistol thing than I am......and that's saying a bunch cause I'm eat up with it

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom