To Bill Calfee - I have received my new DiOrio Turbo V-3

Based on your comments on the WWA site I have purchased a DiOrio Turbo V-3 and I think the rifle world has experienced a tectonic shift that will forever change what we have considered good scores.

I ordered a .050” wide firing pin which I know you do not care for. The standard is .040” and I thought .050 might be even better. Also I have a 600 diamond grit file so that I can change the dimension of the firing pin if I like. Is the firing pin soft after you file off the surface hardness. The answer is no in that the firing pin is 60 Rockwell all the way through and is just as hard after filing. I used the standard spring that comes in the action and set the firing pin travel to .218” which required no modifications to the action. With the standard spring and .218” travel average firing pin penetration is .0203 (Eley Tenex live fire). Individual strikes were .0201, ,0205, .0204, .0206, .0201,.0205, .0208,.0201, .0198 and.0201. I guess we must thank Flash Ebert for the repeatability.

I don’t know what DiOrio did to make bolt lift and closing easy but it is amazing. Who would have thought one cocking ramp would cock easier than two ramps (except you) but it does. Closing effort on the V-3 is near that of a V-1.

For those who care the V-3 will probably fit any barrels and stocks you have that fit other Turbos. I have a V-1, a V-2 and a V-3. I have eleven barrels (cone breech) and all three actions fit all eleven barrels with the same headspace. One of those barrels is likely to shoot any ammo.

From decades of competitive shooting I know that anything shot in practice means nothing. But this V-3 shoots more accurately than any other action I have seen. I predict that in the next two or three years someone will shoot a four or six target match with all 2,500’s. I also believe that 2,500’s will become commonplace.

I know that pistolitis is going around but I see a new era of rifileitis elbowing its way to the bench. Thank you again for your contribution to this magic action.

Friend LB

Based on your comments on the WWA site I have purchased a DiOrio Turbo V-3 and I think the rifle world has experienced a tectonic shift that will forever change what we have considered good scores.

I ordered a .050” wide firing pin which I know you do not care for. The standard is .040” and I thought .050 might be even better. Also I have a 600 diamond grit file so that I can change the dimension of the firing pin if I like. Is the firing pin soft after you file off the surface hardness. The answer is no in that the firing pin is 60 Rockwell all the way through and is just as hard after filing. I used the standard spring that comes in the action and set the firing pin travel to .218” which required no modifications to the action. With the standard spring and .218” travel average firing pin penetration is .0203 (Eley Tenex live fire). Individual strikes were .0201, ,0205, .0204, .0206, .0201,.0205, .0208,.0201, .0198 and.0201. I guess we must thank Flash Ebert for the repeatability.

I don’t know what DiOrio did to make bolt lift and closing easy but it is amazing. Who would have thought one cocking ramp would cock easier than two ramps (except you) but it does. Closing effort on the V-3 is near that of a V-1.

For those who care the V-3 will probably fit any barrels and stocks you have that fit other Turbos. I have a V-1, a V-2 and a V-3. I have eleven barrels (cone breech) and all three actions fit all eleven barrels with the same headspace. One of those barrels is likely to shoot any ammo.

From decades of competitive shooting I know that anything shot in practice means nothing. But this V-3 shoots more accurately than any other action I have seen. I predict that in the next two or three years someone will shoot a four or six target match with all 2,500’s. I also believe that 2,500’s will become commonplace.

I know that pistolitis is going around but I see a new era of rifileitis elbowing its way to the bench. Thank you again for your contribution to this magic action.

Friend LB:

Yes, this is the properly executed, MD-PAS triple lug action that I saw back on March 26, 2014 when I ran the first test on my MD-PAS triple lug prototype.

It's taken five years to get it........but man it's worth every second of the wait.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

LB, isn't it simply amazing how easy the new V-3 cocks without that 12:00 cocking ramp and cocking teat of the original Turbo.

When Flash Ebert designed the Turbo action, he based it on the wonderful PAS ignition system of the 52 Winchester.

And since the 52 Winchester uses two cocking ramps and cocking teats Flash figured they were needed.

But they're not, since the Turbo uses the Remington pattern trigger which gets the resistance for cocking from the cocking teat pressing against the side of the clearance slot in the bottom of the tang.

The 52 Winchester gets its resistance for cocking by a combination of the firing pin spring retaining pin, the trigger sear riding in a slot in the bottom of the breech bolt and the breech bolt body being restricted from turning by the loading ramp.

This is why if you remove the trigger and loading ramp from the 52 Winchester the breech bolt won't cock, it simply rotates in the breech bolt raceway.

If you remove the loading ramp and trigger from the Turbo action, the breech bolt still cocks perfectly.

So the 12:00 cocking ramp and cocking teat are not needed in the Turbo, with its Remington pattern trigger.

Friend LB, one other thing:

You say you now have V-1, V-2 and V-3 Turbo actions.

If you ever get the chance to sit down behind one of the new V-3 XP pistols and kick out a card......

You'll soon thereafter own four Turbo actions........

DSC09798%20-%20Copy%202_1.jpg

Friend Lawrence Beasley

Friend Lawrence Beasley

LB:

I just got off the phone with Anthony DiOrio.

We were discussing the final specs for his new V-3 XP pistol.

He said he read your testimonial and was tickled you like the new V-3 so much.

Your friend, BC

PS:

By the way, Anthony said he's going to post some computer images, and drawings, of his new V-3 XP pistol action later today.

He's also sending them to Az_Speed for his stock development work.

He's come up with a very clever way of attaching the recoil lug to the face of the action, a full width .185" Remington thickness lug, so the lug will be aligned properly for the trigger linkage, plus, maintaining the 1.000" traditional Turbo barrel tenon length while keeping all of the original thread length.

Very clever.

Man I can't wait......bc

Back
Top Bottom