The used RFBR "rifle" market is about to explode

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
The used RFBR "rifle" market is about to explode.

CYA friends:

We're getting ready to see a bunch of used RFBR rifles unloaded on the RFBR market....in anticipation of these new Class A pistols.

For new folks just entering RFBR that are wanting a RFBR rifle, this will be a boon......

Because shortly the value of used RFBR rifles is going to drop drastically, even used Calfee's.

So there will be bargains to be had if you're a newbie wanting a RFBR rifle...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

If Anthony DiOrio can pull this thing off, the world of Big Time RFBR is going to change....

DSC09798%20-%20Copy%202_1.jpg

My CYA RFBR rifle friends, who are like me:

If you need to unload your current RFBR rifle to be able to afford one of these new Class A pistols, like I would have to do, then now's the time to consider unloading it...

Because if this pistol thing actually comes about, shortly you won't be able to get 50 cents on the dollar for your rifle.

Even used Calfee rifles won't bring the premium that they normally do.

Last edited:
I personally couldn't afford to compete today

I personally couldn't afford to compete today

CYA friends:

I feel very lucky to have competed in Big Time RFBR back when I did, from the financial aspect.

There's no way I could afford to compete today, with travel/hotel costs, and especially the price of ammo, even with me producing my own pistols.

The only way I was able to compete when I did, was because I had no family to support, and folks who've been to my home can easily see if I had had an expensive house and property to maintain I couldn't have competed back when I did.

So I was able to compete for close to 20 years because I had no family to support and I lived very, very modestly......

I don't see how a young person with a family, car payments and a mortgage, could afford to compete today, with few exceptions.

Anyway, even with me building my own guns, I had to unload something, most of the time, before I could build something new.

CYA friends, I most certainly could be wrong, but, after 30 years Big time RFBR needs something new a fresh, and I believe it's coming in the form of these new V-3 XP RFBR pistols.

Your friend, BC

My gut tells me there's a whole new world of RFBR excitement coming.

Last edited:
Mr. Calfee,

I've been thinking about this post the past couple days and how exactly I wanted to respond. The cost of this sport is very intimidating especially if a person wants to be competitive at a national level. If it weren't for us being able to build our own stuff from flags to rifles, there is no way that we could be competing like we do. Mom and dad are like me and my family in that we don't drive fancy cars, live in fancy houses, go out to eat all the time, or have to go buy that new "thing" all the time. We always eat good home cooked food and don't ever miss a meal except for when we had about 3 meals worth at the meal time before lol.

The three of us being able to travel and compete like we do is all because of us being able to cost share and living modestly like you speak of. I have friends (familiar with firearms) that I have tried and tried and tried to get into this sport until I'm blue in the face. The best headway I have made was getting one friend to go to one local non sanctioned club match near us with provided good equipment where he done very very well his and I cannot even get him to consider going back.

All of the friends that I have tried to get involved in this sport are just as capable if not more capable as I to handle the financial side of this sport even if they wanted to cost share with us but I just cannot get them to even consider. They all want to complain of the cost but drive new cars and trucks, eat out all the time, hit the town on the weekends, and always have the new latest great thing out. I am no one to judge them or what the do with their personal time and money but I think they just use this as an excuse personally.

There is a lot of work involved, at least for the three of us, to try and be competitive and I think a lot of people near me in age just don't want to put in the effort and it is sad I think. Like you have said before it is so gratifying to build something like these rifles and massage every last part then see these things do the stuff that they are capable of. Also to see the results of work in general of trying to get better in this game is very satisfying.

The pistols are very neat and I am still working, slow but sure, towards building one of some kind for myself. I am waiting to see what happens with them and how all the pieces are going to fall so I can try to reintroduce some of my friends to them and try to get them involved in the sport. These pistols might just produce enough extra "cool factor" for me to get these guys over the edge and shooting with us. Hopefully it will help to bite a couple of others my generation and get them into our sport to compete as well. I have noticed an uptick in BR pistol talk in general even on websites such as RimfireCentral with new people looking to get in on pistol shooting and into RFBR in general so it is very encouraging. Only time will tell on what happens next but it's looking up to me.

Tad

What I've noticed is most new people coming into the sport are fifty and older. I assume they finally have some additional disposable income so they can. You have the occasional outlier such as Tad but you wonder if he would have ever come in on his own. And that would be a shame if he hadn't because he has proven very competitive along with his Mom and Dad.

I got into the sport in BR-50 when I was 32 which was relatively young even then. It was expensive for me but we didn't shoot near as much. Actually we shot two matches a month of BR-50 which was, of course, 50 bulls, so the ammo cost, while high to me pales in comparison to competing now. Another thing is the equipment. Four of us would pile in a Pontiac 6000 with all out equipment and we had plenty of room. Foster and I can barely make everything fit in his SUV now. So that tells me the equipment has exploded. I gradually built up from one thing to another and as Bill mentioned I would sell one thing to buy another. I can say right now that as far as cost, ammo excluded, I don't have anymore in the stuff I have than I did probably a year after I started.

People talk about the cost of rifles but that's probably one of the least expensive items we have. Think about it. You may pay three thousand or better but you can shoot a lot and most will hold a great deal of that value. Ammo is obviously the most expensive item and probably travel after that. I guess ammo will remain the most expensive component. It shot up based on exchange rates and metal costs but never shot down when those things reversed.

Friend Tad E

Mr. Calfee,

I've been thinking about this post the past couple days and how exactly I wanted to respond. The cost of this sport is very intimidating especially if a person wants to be competitive at a national level. If it weren't for us being able to build our own stuff from flags to rifles, there is no way that we could be competing like we do. Mom and dad are like me and my family in that we don't drive fancy cars, live in fancy houses, go out to eat all the time, or have to go buy that new "thing" all the time. We always eat good home cooked food and don't ever miss a meal except for when we had about 3 meals worth at the meal time before lol.

The three of us being able to travel and compete like we do is all because of us being able to cost share and living modestly like you speak of. I have friends (familiar with firearms) that I have tried and tried and tried to get into this sport until I'm blue in the face. The best headway I have made was getting one friend to go to one local non sanctioned club match near us with provided good equipment where he done very very well his and I cannot even get him to consider going back.

All of the friends that I have tried to get involved in this sport are just as capable if not more capable as I to handle the financial side of this sport even if they wanted to cost share with us but I just cannot get them to even consider. They all want to complain of the cost but drive new cars and trucks, eat out all the time, hit the town on the weekends, and always have the new latest great thing out. I am no one to judge them or what the do with their personal time and money but I think they just use this as an excuse personally.

There is a lot of work involved, at least for the three of us, to try and be competitive and I think a lot of people near me in age just don't want to put in the effort and it is sad I think. Like you have said before it is so gratifying to build something like these rifles and massage every last part then see these things do the stuff that they are capable of. Also to see the results of work in general of trying to get better in this game is very satisfying.

The pistols are very neat and I am still working, slow but sure, towards building one of some kind for myself. I am waiting to see what happens with them and how all the pieces are going to fall so I can try to reintroduce some of my friends to them and try to get them involved in the sport. These pistols might just produce enough extra "cool factor" for me to get these guys over the edge and shooting with us. Hopefully it will help to bite a couple of others my generation and get them into our sport to compete as well. I have noticed an uptick in BR pistol talk in general even on websites such as RimfireCentral with new people looking to get in on pistol shooting and into RFBR in general so it is very encouraging. Only time will tell on what happens next but it's looking up to me.

Tad

Friend Tad E:

This post of yours speaks to a lot of folks..........thank you.

Your comment in bold orange:

I'm getting ready to get back into my MD-PAS triple pistol build, as the weather is starting to moderate, some.

I'll take and post pictures, like I've done so far.

Tad, you'll never regret building yourself a Class A pistol.

Your friend, BC

Lot of RFBR rifles coming up for sale.

Lot of RFBR rifles coming up for sale.

CYA friends:

We're going to see more and more RFBR rifles coming up for sale in anticipation of their owners wanting one of the new V-3 XP pistols.

And I don't blame them.

CYA friends, after my talk with Anthony DiOrio today, I believe the world of Big Time RFBR will see these pistols become available for the masses.

Man I'm so cited.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

I believe we're going to get this pistol.....

Back
Top Bottom