RFBR rifles verses RFBR pistols?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
RFBR rifles verses RFBR pistols?

CYA friends:

Oh this is going to get citing, if Anthony DiOrio can produce a MD-PAS RFBR pistol for the masses.

CYA friends:

I've worked off my gut all my RFBR schmidt life.

I know the pulse of Big time RFBR like no one else on this Planet.

If Anthony DiOrio can pull this V-3 XP pistol off, for the masses.......

The world of Big time RFBR will be stood on its head.

Imagine yourself as a rifle shooter in Big Time RFBR today, shooting off a one piece rest........

How will you feel if a pistol shooter, shooting a pistol off a bi-pod, while holding the pistol grip on a sand bag, beats you and that rifle you're shooing off your one piece rest?

Your friend, Bill calfee

Last edited:
You can ask the folks who shot at Buck Creek last July.

CYA friends:

How would a rifle shooter, shooting off a one piece rest, or two piece rest for that matter, feel about being beat by someone shooting a pistol off a bi-pod while holding the pistol grip on a sand bag?

Buck Creek 7/7/18----Top Ten

1. Mary Stark 2100 2450 2200 2200 2200 2300-- 13450

2. Greg Monroe 2000 2300 2250 2250 2100 2350-- 13250

3. Donald Hamblin 1900 2200 2100 2400 2250 2350-- 13200

4. Wallace Smallwood 2050 1975 2100 2200 2300 2400-- 13025

5. Tad Earhart 2075 2400 2050 2200 2075 2150-- 12950

6. Carrie Earhart 1875 2150 2100 2050 2125 2250-- 12550

7. Foster Arvin 2100 2150 2050 2225 2025 2000-- 12550

8. Scott Reid 1900 2075 2050 2100 2000 2200-- 12325

9. Todd Earhart 1775 1875 1850 2250 2050 2225-- 12025

10.Sydney Combs 1080 1900 1700 1875 1750 1350 9655

Mary%20at%20Livonia.jpg

CYA friends, if the "girl with a pistol", who shoots maybe three of four matches a year, using a 15 year old, SAP ignitioned, vertical lock-up pistol, and 10 year old ammo, can do what she did last July at Buck Creek......

It doesn't take much imagination to see what's going to happen in the future, if Anthony DiOrio can provide MD-PAS pistols for the masses, and some of the "players" of Big Time RFBR start working with them.

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
A new and exciting challenge

A new and exciting challenge

CYA friends:

I doubt there's a single "serious" competitor in Big Time RFBR today who wouldn't like to see what they could do with a Class A RFBR pistol.

There's probably someone out there reading this who might think, to them self, "Calfee, there's no way I'd ever shoot a pistol".

All I can recommend to anyone thinking that, is this: "Then make sure you never sit down behind a Class A pistol and kick out a card."

These pistols are coming, if, Anthony DiOrio can put it all together and give the world of Big Time RFBR his V-3 XP pistol.

And if he does produce this pistol, little by little folks will get a chance to see what they're all about, including some of the "players" in Big Time RFBR.

And some of the "players" in Big Time RFBR will discover that they can win Big National events with them just like with their rifles.

And when this happens, which it will, the flood gates will open.

Your friend, BC

Mary%20at%20Livonia.jpg

CYA friends, if the "girl with a pistol", who shoots maybe three of four matches a year, using a 15 year old, SAP ignitioned, vertical lock-up pistol, and 10 year old ammo, can do what she did last July at Buck Creek......

It doesn't take much imagination to see what's going to happen in the future, if Anthony DiOrio can provide MD-PAS pistols for the masses, and some of the "players" of Big Time RFBR start working with them.

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Had a phone call yesterday from Az_Speed

Had a phone call yesterday from Az_Speed

CYA friends:

I had a message on my answering machine yesterday from Az.....

He's in the process of trying to mold a copy of the Remington XP stock, with a fore end wide enough to accommodate .825" and even larger barrels, while being solid, not hollow like the factory Remington stock.

And they will not use the Remington bedding system, I don't believe........for sure not the rear screw.

A personal opinion here:

The factory XP stock is extremely well designed for the average shooter.

It's ambidextrous and the flare at the bottom of the grip helps in controlling the pistol on the sand bag.

And it's got a subjective quality, that being how it looks.....

Maybe it's because there's been so many RFBR pistols with this stock over the years, that the thing just has the "classic look" of a Class A RFBR pistol.

DSC09442%20-%20Copy.jpg

And then some folks may think it's ugly, too.

Also, Az said he may have access to an H&S Precision stock, too.

This stock uses an aluminum V block bedding system, which I didn't care much for when using a warped XP action, but, with an accurately machined V block, and, with the very accurately machined V-3 XP action, this bedding system might be most excellent, if not down right killer.

This stock is not ambidextrous.

CYA friends, there's folks dedicating themselves to seeing this new pistol become available to the masses.

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
This is what we're after...

This is what we're after...

CYA friends:

I'd given anything if I'd had this 40-X pistol back when I competed.

DSC09442%20-%20Copy.jpg

Let me back up a minute......

Are my SAP ignitioned, vertical lock-up XP pistols competitive?

Absolutely, just look at what the "girl with a pistol" did at Buck Creek last July with her 15 year old pistol.

The only handicap that most of the original XP RFBR pistols may have is barrels, since back then we weren't into trick barrels.

So 95% of the original XP pistols have traditional rifling pattern barrels......most are either Douglas or Lilja.

CYA friends, if those original XP pistols were properly fit with trick barrels, and then some of this late "killer" ammo was fed them, they'd run with anything at the Big National event level.

And some will run, as is, if fed some of this late "killer" ammo.

But this is what we're after.......

DSC09798%20-%20Copy%202_1.jpg

Your cited friend, BC

Last edited:
Had an interesting question today.....

On my answering machine a caller from Area Code 308 asked a question...

This caller obviously follows CYA closely, so I'll respond here, and I'm sure he will read this.

The question was basically this:

Do I think ARA will ever make a Pistol Class?.............This gentleman is interested in a pistol.

Here's my answer:

I pray to The Almighty ARA don't.

These pistols are not a novelty......

They are as competitive as any RFBR rifle on Earth.........even more competitive that most of the RFBR rifles on Earth.

So no, they most certainly do not need, or want, a special class in ARA.

To the caller:

If Anthony DiOrio can build the Bond Trigger, these MD-PAS pistols are coming.

If you want a Class A pistol, then go for it........cause if Anthony can pull this thing off, there's a new and fresh world coming to Big time RFBR.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

If someone asked the "girl with a pistol" if she thought ARA needed a Pistol Class, she'd probably just smile, politely, as she drove away from the range in her white Corvette.

Mary%20at%20Livonia.jpg

Last edited:

On my answering machine a caller from Area Code 308 asked a question...

This caller obviously follows CYA closely, so I'll respond here, and I'm sure he will read this.

The question was basically this:

Do I think ARA will ever make a Pistol Class?.............This gentleman is interested in a pistol.

Here's my answer:

I pray to The Almighty ARA don't.

These pistols are not a novelty......

They are as competitive as any RFBR rifle on Earth.........even more competitive that most of the RFBR rifles on Earth.

So no, they most certainly do not need, or want, a special class in ARA.

To the caller:

If Anthony DiOrio can build the Bond Trigger, these MD-PAS pistols are coming.

If you want a Class A pistol, then go for it........cause if Anthony can pull this thing off, there's a new and fresh world coming to Big time RFBR.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

If someone asked the "girl with a pistol" if she thought ARA needed a Pistol Class, she'd probably just smile, politely, as she drove away from the range in her white Corvette.

Mary%20at%20Livonia.jpg

Howdy Bill,
A guy I know at work has not one, but TWO Calfee XP's. I don't see him as often as I used to, but every time I pass him I tell him "you don't need two of them!".

He always smiles and says "oh yes I do!".

Neither is for sale..........not that I could afford one anyway.

He and I were talking one day probably four or five years ago, he had repaired a piece of equipment on my line at work, and I said something about a gunsmith in Southern Indiana and extreeeeeeemely accurate rifles. He looked at me and said "Calfee?". I said yep! He smiled real big and said "Calfee's a good dude".

Turns out he had bought an XP silhouette pistol off of you. And he bought another you built from someone else some years later. Seems he shoots a lot of silhouette.

I told him that you were putting rifle length barrels on the ones you ran across now. Then I asked him how the Calfee XP's shot with pistol barrels.

He looked at me a little funny and said "If I told you, you would think I'm a liar".

I said "try me".

He said that if you could find the closest to a no wind day possible, it is not unusual to shoot half inch groups....................at 100 yards.

These are not RFBR pistols. They are two silhouette pistols you built many years ago.

If Anthony can sort out the issues y'all have discussed regarding PAS triple lug pistol actions, and there ends up being a lot of people building pistols, and they perform like you expect.....................

Classes on equipment in competition are there to create an even playing field and protect people from competing against others using equipment far superior to theirs.

If ARA, which does not currently have a class separating pistols from rifles, creates a class exclusively for pistols, they will not be creating the class to protect pistol shooters from competing against rifle shooters...............

They will be creating the class to protect rifle shooters from competing against pistol shooters.

I hope Anthony can sort out the issues discussed and that these pistols can be everything you hope they can be.

Take care,

Greg

Howdy Bill,
A guy I know at work has not one, but TWO Calfee XP's. I don't see him as often as I used to, but every time I pass him I tell him "you don't need two of them!".

He always smiles and says "oh yes I do!".

Neither is for sale..........not that I could afford one anyway.

He and I were talking one day probably four or five years ago, he had repaired a piece of equipment on my line at work, and I said something about a gunsmith in Southern Indiana and extreeeeeeemely accurate rifles. He looked at me and said "Calfee?". I said yep! He smiled real big and said "Calfee's a good dude".

Turns out he had bought an XP silhouette pistol off of you. And he bought another you built from someone else some years later. Seems he shoots a lot of silhouette.

I told him that you were putting rifle length barrels on the ones you ran across now. Then I asked him how the Calfee XP's shot with pistol barrels.

He looked at me a little funny and said "If I told you, you would think I'm a liar".

I said "try me".

He said that if you could find the closest to a no wind day possible, it is not unusual to shoot half inch groups....................at 100 yards.

These are not RFBR pistols. They are two silhouette pistols you built many years ago.

If Anthony can sort out the issues y'all have discussed regarding PAS triple lug pistol actions, and there ends up being a lot of people building pistols, and they perform like you expect.....................

Classes on equipment in competition are there to create an even playing field and protect people from competing against others using equipment far superior to theirs.

If ARA, which does not currently have a class separating pistols from rifles, creates a class exclusively for pistols, they will not be creating the class to protect pistol shooters from competing against rifle shooters...............

They will be creating the class to protect rifle shooters from competing against pistol shooters.

I hope Anthony can sort out the issues discussed and that these pistols can be everything you hope they can be.

Take care,

Greg

Friend 404tbang:

Yes, I've seen, and shot, multiple half inch groups at 100 yards with XP Silhouette pistols with 14-7/8" barrels.

Greg, your comment in bold orange:

I know you said that in jest, but, back in the BR-50 days it wouldn't have been far from the truth.

Some of the BR-50 rifle shooters thought the pistol shooters were getting way too much advantage with their light weight pistols, so they lobbied Larry Brown to do away with the handicap scoring system, which he finally did.

So did that stop the pistol shooters from winning?

No it didn't, as a matter of fact one well known pistol shooter, at the time, made the comment that he was going to beat the rifle shooters worse without the handicap, than he was doing with it.

And he did....

And he wasn't the only one.

Man those were good ole days............the first pistol revolution.

Greg, it's looking like there may be a second pistol revolution.

Right now everything hinges on Anthony DiOrio being able to produce the triggers.

Your friend, BC

PS:

Greg, if there were 10 "players" in Big time RFBR starting tomorrow with pistols, would they start off immediately winning Big National events?

Probably not, because there is a learning curve, just like anything else.

But I can pretty much guarantee you this:

At some point down the road, one, or more, of those 10 "players" will win a Big National event(s) with their pistols.

And when that happens, the world of Big Time RFBR, as we currently know it, will change forever.

And the change will be for the better, because it will make Big Time RFBR just that much more fun and exciting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom