The best stock for the new MD-PAS triple pistol

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
The best stock for the new MD-PAS triple pistol

CYA friends:

I've given considerable thought as to which stock, of the ones I'm familiar with, will be best for new folks working with these new MD-PAS pistols.

Here's what I've come up with:

I believe the H&S "varmint" model will probably work out best.

Here's a picture of this stock.

HS%20varmint_1.jpg

I not real big on this stock for an XP, because they are all warped from heat treatment.

This stock uses a "V" block bedding system, which is machined pretty accurately.

And a warped action won't fit a perfectly machined V block...

But..................

These DiOrio MD-PAS actions are ground very accurately on the OD, as the last operation.

Therefore, the fit to the V block will most likely result in excellent bedding.

Here is a picture of the same stock with a wide, flat for end.

HS%20flat%20bottom.jpg

It would work for a bench pistol on a bi-pod, but, the flat fore end is not as stable as the Varmint model....

The flat fore-end has some flex where the bi-pod is mounted, the rounded Varmint model doesn't.

The only snag with these stocks, is that the rear bedding screw will have to be pillared.

The V block doesn't extend all the way to the rear of the stock.

Personally I want a modified factory stock.....I believe they have as good of potential for producing accuracy as any bedding system in the world.

But.................

They are a hassle, and Remington doesn't make them any longer...

And they aren't as easy to shoot because they are shaky, as the more stable stocks like the H&S and McMillan, like the "girl with a pistol" shoots.

I've discovered it's easier to make barrel clearance if I do the stock in two pieces....

But, this requires one to have two stocks......or completely fabricate the front section from scratch.

DSC09874_2.jpg

CYA friends, if the world don't end, these MD-PAS pistols are coming.

I'm personally more cited about the prospect of these pistols as by anything else I've ever done these last 30 years, ever since contemporary RFBR started.

One day in the future, a "player", or two, will win a Big National event with one of these pistols, then the stampede will begin.

Actually, if Anthony DiOrio pulls this thing off, the stampede will start immediately......it won't even take someone winning a Big National event for it to happen.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

The McMillan stock, like the "girl with a pistol" uses, has to be conventionally bedded, just like a rifle....

The rub here is, working around clearance in the bedding for the trigger linkage.....so the bedding winds up being much more complicated than for a rifle.

But done properly, they have the same accuracy potential as a well bedded rifle.

Last edited:
Here's the McMillan stock

Here's the McMillan stock

CYA friends:

Here's the "girl with a pistol" McMillan stock.

Darrell Horsley did the bedding and painting.

There's one nice thing about pistol stocks and painting them, one doesn't have to worry about the rests scratching the paint.

Even though this McMillan requires conventional bedding, if done properly it works.

Your friend, BC

Mary%20Stark%20XP.jpg

Mary%20Stark%20XP%202.jpg

By the way, sitting the feet of the bi-pod on the Eley ammo trays is a Mark Meadows idea...

And it works so slick...

You simply glide the pistol over the target....

I wish I'd had Jeff Patterson take my 40-X pistol to the Barn and allowed folks to play with it...

The next indoor match he attends I'll probably ask if he'll do it.....which knowing Jeff he probably will...

By the way, Jeff is building a MD-PAS triple pistol just like I am......

So by the time the next indoor rolls around we may have those ready for folks to play with...

Warning!

If you're not prepared to get hooked, I would advise you never to shoot a Class A RFBR pistol.

If you can remember the excitement you had the first time you shot a Class A RFBR rifle, you will triple that excitement the first time you shoot a Class A pistol...

One other thing about these pistols: ( You might have to think about this for a minute )

These pistols have no idea which bull on the card you're pointing them at.

One bull is just as good as another to these pistols....

They simply do not differentiate between bulls.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom