A day in the shop changed everything

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
A day in the shop changed everything

CYA friends:

I've been having my doubts about a center grip MD-PAS pistol, for the masses, these past few days.

And there's still a ton of work to do....

But..........

After I spent this day in the shop, I have an entirely new outlook about the prospect of the masses having access to one of these beautiful pistols.

Here's a picture:

This action is now XP length......to do this mock-up I used two XP recoil lugs at the front, which are held in place by an old barrel stub.

Later I'll machine a single piece bushing to replace these two recoil lugs that are sandwiched together.

DSC09801.jpg

The linkage trigger can be made to work with a trigger hanger, and easier than I figured.

I had to do some milling on the front of the hanger...

And I had to shorten the factory XP linkage, and at the same time I made it adjustable.

Now, no matter where the trigger hanger winds up, I can position the trigger shoe correctly in the trigger guard.

Remember, the new V-3 will have .050" of trigger hanger adjustment.

One other thing....

I want my ND-PAS pistol to use the factory modified stock......a big hassle....

And the only TCA action that will currently work in the XP stock, without a ton of modification, is the original 10-X, X-III action, since it's longer in the front receiver ring, and the tang is .100" longer than a Turbo, also.

The late 10-X actions, with the 1.000" tenon length, are too short in the front receiver to work in the XP stock, without a bunch of modifications.

Same goes for all Turbo actions.

So until Anthony DiOrio produces a full XP length MD-PAS action, these original 10-X actions are the only ones that will work in the factory XP stock.

The trigger in this picture is not a Bond.......it's a standard XP trigger that I used to do a mock-up, and experiment with, to get my linkage length and adjustable feature worked out....

Man I'm so relieved you can't imagine.....

And more cited than ever....

I've still got a ton of work to do, but if the world don't end, I will have this pistol.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

This pistol took a giant step toward becoming a reality today in the shop....

DSC09798%20-%20Copy%202_1.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't sleep last night....

Couldn't sleep last night....

CYA friends:

Please keep something in mind here:

I'm adapting this TCA to a factory XP stock.....

CYA friends, this factory stock is not for everyone.....I suspect most folks just starting out with a pistol would do better with something like the McMillan the "girl with a pistol" uses......or the H&S Precision stock....the narrow fore end version.

These factory stocks are jittery...........

But, that's not really a problem to producing pure accuracy.....nor is it a problem once one gets used to it.

By the way, I believe the H&S stocks aren't ambidextrous..... the XP's and McMillan are.

Anyway, there's a deep cavity in the bedding area at the pistol grip area.....

This is where I placed the adjustable feature on the linkage, so the screw heads will clear......

DSC09801.jpg

Oh I've got a ton of work to do......

But, the worrisome part is over......

Now:

Why am I going to all of this trouble to produce a center grip TCA, when it would be so simple to do a rear grip pistol?

CYA friends, I'm doing this because I know these pistols will run with any rifles on earth, in center grip configuration.

As a matter of fact, most rifles won't run with a good pistol, just as "the girl with a pistol" demonstrated at Buck Creek this past summer...

Or, like Steve Turner used to do when he ran the circuit.........he dominated the best rifles on earth with that #4 pistol.

You know, every shooter reading this has a rear grip pistol at their disposal.

All one has to do, is to take a saw and cut the butt off, then fabricate some sort of a pistol grip, get you a sand bag and install a bi-pod and you now have a rear grip pistol.

Then take your rear grip pistol to Buck Creek, and go up against that crowd, and see if you can do what the "girl with a pistol" did.

Or lay the fore-end on a conventional rest and shoot it that way, instead of off a bi-pod.

You're not going to run with big time rifles with a rear grip pistol.

Why, I do not know the answer to that.

I've tried shooting these pistols in every configuration possible.....

And the center grip, with a sand bag under the pistol grip, and a bi-pod, produce the best accuracy.

Actually, pistols produce better accuracy in this configuration than most rifles.

Again, just why they do, I do not know.

Therefore, if I want to be truly competitive in Big Time RFBR using a pistol, I have to go to all this trouble.

Your friend, BC

PS:

CYA friends, I've said this several times before:

These pistols are not just a novelty..........

They are as serious as any RFBR "rifle" on earth, and more serious than the majority of them.

Back
Top Bottom