KNOW YOUR SHERIDAN RIFLES AND PISTOLS

Hawkeye Wizard

I'm posting this for my Rimfire friends who are also airgunners.

Several decades ago, I wrote KNOW YOUR SHERIDAN RIFLES AND PISTOLS. It has been out of print for years.
In response to many request for copies, I recently published a revised and expanded 2nd edition.
It's available on Amazon in paperback or e-book. Just type the title or Ronald Elbe into Amazons Search.

Thanks,
Hawkeye Wizard

Friend Hawkeye Wizard

Friend Hawkeye Wizard

Friend Ron Elbe:

You shoot left handed........which is a good reason, cause you are left handed.

Ron, here at CYA we've been discussing triggers, especially since Anthony DiOrio is developing his new XP trigger, and friend Deveng posted the video of the new FF trigger.

Hawkeye, if you were starting a new build today, which currently available trigger would you use?

I have a reason for asking this.........

Your friend, BC

Bill,
I'm sorry that I didn't respond sooner. But I didn't see your post until now.

You asked what trigger I would use for a new build.

I haven't personally used all of the triggers that are on the market, so I don't have enough experience to recommend one by brand. Even if I had used them all, it would only be a sample size of one or two of each brand. That isn't a large enough sample to serve as a statistically valid basis for a recommendation.

BUT

I do have some opinions about triggers. Here are my opinions:

1. Nothing is more important than reliability. If a trigger isn't 100% reliable all of the time under all conditions, is isn't adequate for competition as far as I am concerned.

2. In my testing, I tested triggers from 1 ounce to 3 ounces and could see no difference in their accuracy potential. At least for me, shooting off a one-piece rest, I see no accuracy advantage to a trigger lighter than 2 - 3 ounces. In fact, I even tried to pull the trigger off to the side rather than straight back and still couldn't see a difference on the target. (Shooters who shoot from bags or two piece rests may have different results.)

3. As my Harley-riding friend used to say, "There aint no free rides." That's true with everything in benchrest shooting. Everything has tradeoffs, including trigger design and trigger weight. I see two potential disadvantages to "super-light" triggers. First, I suspect that they are less reliable set at 1 ounce or below than if they were set at 2-3 ounces. Second, from a human interface perspective, I believe that I am more likely to have a "super-light" trigger fire before I am ready, especially if my trigger finger is cold or I am concentrating on my flags.

SO

I'm not qualified to recommend a brand. But I do know what I want in a trigger. I'll shoot any trigger that my gunsmith says is 100% reliable and is set at approximately 2 ounces.

I doubt if this is the answer you are looking for, but it's the best I can do.

I know that you had a purpose in your question. What was it?

Hawkeye Wizard

Friend HW

Bill,
I'm sorry that I didn't respond sooner. But I didn't see your post until now.

You asked what trigger I would use for a new build.

I haven't personally used all of the triggers that are on the market, so I don't have enough experience to recommend one by brand. Even if I had used them all, it would only be a sample size of one or two of each brand. That isn't a large enough sample to serve as a statistically valid basis for a recommendation.

BUT

I do have some opinions about triggers. Here are my opinions:

1. Nothing is more important than reliability. If a trigger isn't 100% reliable all of the time under all conditions, is isn't adequate for competition as far as I am concerned.

2. In my testing, I tested triggers from 1 ounce to 3 ounces and could see no difference in their accuracy potential. At least for me, shooting off a one-piece rest, I see no accuracy advantage to a trigger lighter than 2 - 3 ounces. In fact, I even tried to pull the trigger off to the side rather than straight back and still couldn't see a difference on the target. (Shooters who shoot from bags or two piece rests may have different results.)

3. As my Harley-riding friend used to say, "There aint no free rides." That's true with everything in benchrest shooting. Everything has tradeoffs, including trigger design and trigger weight. I see two potential disadvantages to "super-light" triggers. First, I suspect that they are less reliable set at 1 ounce or below than if they were set at 2-3 ounces. Second, from a human interface perspective, I believe that I am more likely to have a "super-light" trigger fire before I am ready, especially if my trigger finger is cold or I am concentrating on my flags.

SO

I'm not qualified to recommend a brand. But I do know what I want in a trigger. I'll shoot any trigger that my gunsmith says is 100% reliable and is set at approximately 2 ounces.

I doubt if this is the answer you are looking for, but it's the best I can do.

I know that you had a purpose in your question. What was it?

Hawkeye Wizard

Friend HW:

I highlighted one of your comments in bold orange.

I value your opinion.

And in saying the above, I don't know where to begin.....exactly, without making a big mass confusion..

First of all, the world of accuracy would have been much better off if 70 years ago, instead of fooling with the Remington pattern trigger, with its angled engagement between the transfer bar and the cocking piece of the breech bolt, the world of accuracy would have spent these past 70 years refining vertical interface triggers and cocking pieces.

But, we're stuck with 70 years of Remington pattern trigger development.........and we're still lost........sounds silly doesn't it?

Hawkeye, the current crop of trigger makers have concentrated so much on lightness of pull, that I'm afraid they've overlooked one of the most important handicaps of the Remington pattern trigger, that being, the upward pressure of the transfer bar against the bottom of the cocking piece.

Before I forget, I've been discussing the B&A trigger, and an issue with the couple I've fooled with, more than simply installing them in a few customer's guns.

You asked me if I knew what was causing this issue, on another thread.......

Did you ask because you ran the de-cocking test, and found the click, or firing pin delay, that I've found?

Moving on.....

Anthony DiOrio is in the process of building a three lever trigger for center grip pistols...

But, he's also come up with the clever idea of producing a rifle version, based on the short XP trigger housing.

The fulcrum difference in this rifle version, based on the short XP housing, will give it a lighter pull than the pistol version, while being safe at the same time.

The common, three lever Remington pattern trigger is a statement in simplicity.......

Which makes it a statement in reliability........which you spoke of in the bold orange comment of yours I highlighted...

But, something maybe even more important about the DiOrio three lever, is the potential to have the lightest upward pressure by the transfer bar on the bottom of the cocking piece.

Hawkeye, I'm selfish, which means I want Anthony to do the center grip pistol trigger first......

But, Anthony told me he's going to send me one of his rifle versions as soon as he has a few prototypes made up.

I can't think of anyone I'd as soon see test one of his rifle version triggers, as you.......

Because you've stated your feelings about lightness of pull..........and there's no way, I don't expect, that Anthony's triggers will be as light of pull as the B&A or the FF.

But, they most certainly will not have internal interference........the "click", and possible firing pin delay.....

And if all goes well with the "gummed up" test I'm running on the trigger in my pistol, Anthony's triggers will have the lightest upward pressure of any trigger.

Your friend, BC

Bill,
No, I don't detect any click or hesitation in my B&A trigger.

I agree with you regarding the shortcomings of Remington pattern triggers.

And I agree that minimal upward pressure of the transfer bar could be beneficial. It's certainly worth testing.

I'd note that I use a different technique when I'm using a super light trigger than I use when I'm shooting a 2-3 ounce. With the heavier trigger, I put my finger on the trigger, wait until I want to fire, and then increase pressure. With a very light trigger, I don't risk touching the trigger until I want the rifle to fire. Until then, I keep my finger pressed against the inside front of the trigger guard.

Especially when using a super light trigger, it's probably wise to move your crosshairs to the next bull before you reload. That way if you do have an AD, you won't have two holes in one bull. ARA scores that as a zero and it's guaranteed to ruin your day.

Hawkeye Wizard

Friend HW

Bill,
No, I don't detect any click or hesitation in my B&A trigger.

I agree with you regarding the shortcomings of Remington pattern triggers.

And I agree that minimal upward pressure of the transfer bar could be beneficial. It's certainly worth testing.

I'd note that I use a different technique when I'm using a super light trigger than I use when I'm shooting a 2-3 ounce. With the heavier trigger, I put my finger on the trigger, wait until I want to fire, and then increase pressure. With a very light trigger, I don't risk touching the trigger until I want the rifle to fire. Until then, I keep my finger pressed against the inside front of the trigger guard.

Especially when using a super light trigger, it's probably wise to move your crosshairs to the next bull before you reload. That way if you do have an AD, you won't have two holes in one bull. ARA scores that as a zero and it's guaranteed to ruin your day.

Hawkeye Wizard

Friend HW:

I put a couple of your comments in bold orange.

The issues I've been seeing with the B&A may turn out to be a transfer bar to cocking piece height relationship problem.

I installed .010" washers between the trigger hanger and action, which did not correct the issues....

As soon as I gain access to another B&A, I'll add washers until the problem is corrected, or, the height gets so low the cocking piece simply over rides the transfer bar when the breech bolt is closed.

I see both FF and B&A are now starting to address the upward pressure issue....which is very good.

An interesting bit of accuracy history now:

When "Mac" McMillan fired the CFBR .009", 100 yard world record group back in 1973, he did it with, now get this, a horizontal lock-up action that used a vertical interface between the trigger and cocking piece.

In other words, he did not use a Remington pattern trigger.

What a shame the world of accuracy didn't pivot away from the Remington pattern trigger after that happened.

But it didn't.

Fast forward to today:

There is a new CFBR action that uses horizontal lock-up.......

And this new action is following RFBR, as it uses a heaver firing pin to give some momentum to the ignition system.

Wouldn't it be awesome if either B&A or FF would use their creativity to develop a vertical interface trigger?

I've still got to get a copy of your new book.....I've read the original a dozen times, at least.

Thank you.

Your friend, BC

Bill,
I'd be happy to send you a copy of the Second Edition of Know Your Sheridan Rifles and Pistols, but I don't have your mailing address. Please PM me with it.
Hawkeye Wizard

Friend HW

Bill,
I'd be happy to send you a copy of the Second Edition of Know Your Sheridan Rifles and Pistols, but I don't have your mailing address. Please PM me with it.
Hawkeye Wizard

Friend HW:

If you'll enclose a bill for the book and shipping, and sign it, yes I'd love to have a copy...

And Hawkeye, could you please sign it exactly like you signed my first edition copy?

Feel free to use the current date, of course.

546 W. Main St.

Borden, IN, 47106

DSC00492.jpg

And thank you....

Now.....................................................

Before I got my 146B Mossburg, that I explored the Ohio River with as a kid, and wrote about in my book, I owned a Crosman 22 cal.

It was pump action, no scope.....iron sights only.

Before my Mossburg 146B I explored the Ohio River with my 22 cal Crosman.

I never owned a Sheridan.......although, when I went to work for the gas company another employee had a Silver Streak.....with a scope....

Anyway a question, if you don't mind:

My Crosman was about wore out when I got it........

It got to where I had to pump it a bunch of strokes before it had good power....

Although, it was pretty accurate......

Anyway, how does the Crosman of that time frame, late 50's to real early 60's, compare to a Sheridan from the same time frame?

Thank you again, your friend, BC

Last edited:
Bill,
I'm undoubtedly too biased in favor of Sheridan's to give a fair comparison of Sheridan's versus Crosmans.
But I'll try.
(Note that these thoughts are merely my opinions.)

I guess that I think of Crosmans as Chevrolets and Sheridans as Cadillacs.

Aesthetically, I don't think any other air rifle has the flowing, pleasing lines that grace a Silver or Blue Streak. It's really hard to beat the beauty of Sheridan's Missouri walnut and deep blue or silver metal color.

Mechanically, Sheridans last a long, long time. (When I was young, friend of mine lived on a farm with little to do but shoot. His dad would buy him a 500-round tin of Bantam pellets every week or two. He had a wall of empty pellet tins! Amazing!!!!) He also had a scoped single shot Marlin .22. That kid was the best hunting rifle shot I ever saw. He had tape-measured the distance from his porch to every tree within a hundred yards of the house and he knew the holdover to each tree. Sparrows and starlings never had a chance.

Trigger pull on a Sheridan isn't affected by the number of pumps. Typically trigger pulls are excellent. And if they need a little tweaking, they are very easy to modify.

Accuracy was always excellent. With currently manufactured pellets (especially JSBs) it is outstanding.

Accuracy doesn't seem to be affected much by number of pumps. Of course POI is impacted, but group size isn't. So it's handy to practice indoors with 3 pumps and then use six pumps for outdoor pest work. Trigger pull, group size, and sight picture is the same.

I guess that's why I wrote a book about Sheridans rather than a book about Crosmans.

JMHO

Hawkeye Wizard

P.S. Your book will be in the mail Monday.

Friend HW

Bill,
I'm undoubtedly too biased in favor of Sheridan's to give a fair comparison of Sheridan's versus Crosmans.
But I'll try.
(Note that these thoughts are merely my opinions.)

I guess that I think of Crosmans as Chevrolets and Sheridans as Cadillacs.

Aesthetically, I don't think any other air rifle has the flowing, pleasing lines that grace a Silver or Blue Streak. It's really hard to beat the beauty of Sheridan's Missouri walnut and deep blue or silver metal color.

Mechanically, Sheridans last a long, long time. (When I was young, friend of mine lived on a farm with little to do but shoot. His dad would buy him a 500-round tin of Bantam pellets every week or two. He had a wall of empty pellet tins! Amazing!!!!) He also had a scoped single shot Marlin .22. That kid was the best hunting rifle shot I ever saw. He had tape-measured the distance from his porch to every tree within a hundred yards of the house and he knew the holdover to each tree. Sparrows and starlings never had a chance.

Trigger pull on a Sheridan isn't affected by the number of pumps. Typically trigger pulls are excellent. And if they need a little tweaking, they are very easy to modify.

Accuracy was always excellent. With currently manufactured pellets (especially JSBs) it is outstanding.

Accuracy doesn't seem to be affected much by number of pumps. Of course POI is impacted, but group size isn't. So it's handy to practice indoors with 3 pumps and then use six pumps for outdoor pest work. Trigger pull, group size, and sight picture is the same.

I guess that's why I wrote a book about Sheridans rather than a book about Crosmans.

JMHO

Hawkeye Wizard

P.S. Your book will be in the mail Monday.

Friend HW:

Thank you......I look forward to the second edition.....I've read your first edition at least a dozen times...

Hawkeye, I didn't buy the Crosman because I thought it the best pellet rifle, I bought it because it was used and it was all I could afford.

Would I have loved to have had a Sheridan, oh yes.....

When I got to fool with my friends Silver Streak I could see it was obviously more refined.......

It was also .177 cal.......and scope sighted.

By the way, strictly for small game hunting which is better, 22 cal or .177?

Thank you again, your friend, BC

Bill,
Since you mentioned how you got your Crosman, I thought I'd share how I got my Sheridan.
This is a chapter in my autobiography, MEMIORS OF A MISSOURI COUNTRY BOY.

The True Story of How I Got
My First Sheridan Blue Streak

I kept my Daisy Red Ryder oiled, and I oiled my BBs, so it always shot hard. It took innumerable sparrows, but by fourth grade, I really needed more power and range. Ads in the sporting magazines convinced me that I needed a Sheridan Blue Streak pneumatic .20 caliber air rifle.

Dad wasn’t as easy to convince as I was.

I didn’t realize it, but apparently we were poor. Well, we really weren’t poor because we had lots of love in the family. But, we didn’t have very much money.

It appeared that I would have to fund the Blue Streak myself. So, I delivered 32 copies of the Quincy Herald Whig seven days a week throughout my small hometown of Wayland, Missouri. That town of 300 inhabitants was so small that I delivered papers out of the city limits in three directions on my bicycle.

I was lucky to be raised in such a small town. No one paid any attention to a kid carrying a gun down Main Street. I knew that if I could just get a Sheridan, I’d be able to use it.

Even after I had the money, Dad still wasn’t convinced that a Blue Streak would be a wise investment of my hard earned money.

I desperately needed more power. So, with the assistance of my uncle Delbert, my cousin Mark (Delbert’s son) and I started building firecracker guns. (I didn’t mention my endeavor to Dad.)

The firecracker guns employed ¼” gas pipe wired onto a wooden stock. A hole was drilled in a cap that was threaded onto the back of the gas pipe. The cap was unscrewed and a firecracker was inserted with the fuse coming out of the hole. After installing the cap, a foam wad was pushed down the barrel, followed by a ¼” lead ball, followed by another foam wad. I lit the fuse with a cigarette lighter and I HAD POWER!! Not much accuracy, but lots of power.

Unfortunately (or, perhaps, fortunately for my health), Dad found out about the firecracker guns. He did a quick mental calculation and determined that my medical bills from the firecracker guns were likely to cost much more than a Blue Streak. So he confiscated the firecracker guns with the promise that he would get me a pneumatic.

The day he arrived home with an airgun box, I could hardly contain my excitement. But, when I unboxed it, I was sorely disappointed. Instead of a Blue Streak, he had gotten a Benjamin 3100 pneumatic BB rifle (probably because BBs were lots cheaper than Sheridan .20 caliber pellets).

Dad and his father were both outstanding shots with rifle and shotgun. They were market hunters, so they had to be. They spent a whole afternoon trying to get that Benjamin to shoot reasonable groups. They finally gave up.

Dad took the Benjamin back.

I got my Blue Streak.

I miss you, Dad.

Bill,
In the same power plant, the lighter .177 pellets obtain higher velocities and flatter trajectories.
But, I've always felt that if you can put a pellet in a vital area of a varmint, the more air and light you let into him, the faster he will expire.

Of course, on a small varmint, either caliber is adequate. But when you get to tough critters like ground squirrels, tree squirrels, crows, etc, the bigger the hole you can put in them, the better.

Hawkeye Wizard

Bill,
You asked in an above post about the effectiveness of .177 versus .22.
I actually got a good deal of experience with .177, .20, and .22 on ground squirrels.
Terminal effectiveness was directly proportional to caliber.
The bigger the caliber, the faster they went down.
Here's a true story of how I got my experience.
Hawkeye Wizard

GROUNDSQUIRREL GOLF

I hired Bob to work with me at Rock Island Arsenal.

It didn’t take long for me to find out that we had much in common. We both loved guns ---any guns --- in fact, anything that launched a projectile.
We shot bows, airguns, and firearms together. We attended gun shows together. We drove gravel backcountry roads reducing the ground squirrel populations.

One day, Bob mentioned that a golf course near Eldridge, Iowa had a serious ground squirrel problem.
The little rascals were wreaking havoc on the course. Their holes and mounds were everywhere.
Golfers often complained about losing balls down ground squirrel holes.

Bob approached the golf course manager, offering our professional services. An agreement was reached.

The golf course owner agreed to provide us with a cart, two score cards, and free cold pop. We agreed to reduce the ground squirrel population at NO COST to the course.

The owner did specify two restrictions.
We couldn’t “work” on weekends because the course was crowded with golfers.
And, we couldn’t “work” on Thursdays because it was lady’s day. Heaven knows, we wouldn’t want to offend the sensibilities of any lady golfers.

Regularly, Bob and I would show up at the course. We’d load the rear of a cart with a variety of cased air rifles.
Then we’d pick up scorecards and Cokes, and head out on the course.

We’d take turns driving. When one of us spotted a ground squirrel, the driver would angle toward the prey, not driving directly at him, but rather, closing the distance at an angle.
When either of us felt he could make the shot, he’d say “Close enough.”
The driver would stop and the optimist would take a shot. If he missed, the other one would get a shot.

On our scorecards, headshots counted for 3 points, body shots for 2, anything that got into it's hole before expiring counted 1, and misses were a 0.

Our best day eliminated fifty three of the little hole diggers.

The course owner was grateful for our help. So were the golfers.

Friend HW

Bill,
You asked in an above post about the effectiveness of .177 versus .22.
I actually got a good deal of experience with .177, .20, and .22 on ground squirrels.
Terminal effectiveness was directly proportional to caliber.
The bigger the caliber, the faster they went down.
Here's a true story of how I got my experience.
Hawkeye Wizard

GROUNDSQUIRREL GOLF

I hired Bob to work with me at Rock Island Arsenal.

It didn’t take long for me to find out that we had much in common. We both loved guns ---any guns --- in fact, anything that launched a projectile.
We shot bows, airguns, and firearms together. We attended gun shows together. We drove gravel backcountry roads reducing the ground squirrel populations.

One day, Bob mentioned that a golf course near Eldridge, Iowa had a serious ground squirrel problem.
The little rascals were wreaking havoc on the course. Their holes and mounds were everywhere.
Golfers often complained about losing balls down ground squirrel holes.

Bob approached the golf course manager, offering our professional services. An agreement was reached.

The golf course owner agreed to provide us with a cart, two score cards, and free cold pop. We agreed to reduce the ground squirrel population at NO COST to the course.

The owner did specify two restrictions.
We couldn’t “work” on weekends because the course was crowded with golfers.
And, we couldn’t “work” on Thursdays because it was lady’s day. Heaven knows, we wouldn’t want to offend the sensibilities of any lady golfers.

Regularly, Bob and I would show up at the course. We’d load the rear of a cart with a variety of cased air rifles.
Then we’d pick up scorecards and Cokes, and head out on the course.

We’d take turns driving. When one of us spotted a ground squirrel, the driver would angle toward the prey, not driving directly at him, but rather, closing the distance at an angle.
When either of us felt he could make the shot, he’d say “Close enough.”
The driver would stop and the optimist would take a shot. If he missed, the other one would get a shot.

On our scorecards, headshots counted for 3 points, body shots for 2, anything that got into it's hole before expiring counted 1, and misses were a 0.

Our best day eliminated fifty three of the little hole diggers.

The course owner was grateful for our help. So were the golfers.

Friend HW:

Thank you.......

Sounds like you really enjoyed your "work"..........

Best accuracy.....................22 or .177?

And why?

Your friend, BC

PS:

I just finished your 2nd addition, for the second time.......excellent....and thank you again for giving it to me, and signing it like you did.

If you ever do a 3rd addition, what about mixing in some of your air rifle stories along with the technical data?

Bob

If your Bob passed away just over a year ago, we lost a great firearms engineer and an even greater friend. I had the opportunity to shoot some of the prototypes he was engineering..one was a .308 on a 1911 frame. As a single shot pistol enthusiast I found it quite interesting and no harsher to shoot that my Contenders. .it’s to bad he wasn’t into RFBR.You chose a good man to work with and to be friends with. I’m sorry I didn’t know him better. Losing friends you grow up with is the worst thing about getting old. Keep the stories coming.

Brian

Bill,
You asked about .177 versus .22 accuracy.
Here's an honest answer ----- it depends.

Airgun accuracy is very highly dependent on pellet selection, range to target, and environmental conditions.

Pellet brand, pellet weight, and pellet shape significantly affect any airgun's accuracy. Unlike the .22LR world where projectile shape and weight are fairly standard, in the airgun world every caliber of pellets can be purchased in a large range of weights and shapes.

All high $ target rifles and pistols are .177. So at 10 meters indoors, I'd say that .177 shooting wadcutter pellets at a muzzle velocity of 400 to 550 fps has the edge in pure accuracy.
But outdoors and/or at longer ranges those wadcutter pellets are very poor.

Outdoors in the wind, .22 caliber round nose pellets will drift far less and retain their velocity much better.

Given the same powerplant putting the same amount of energy into both .177 and .22 pellets, the lighter .177 pellets have significantly greater muzzle velocity. But they shed that velocity quickly. At longer ranges I believe that .22 has the edge in both energy and accuracy.

Also the nature of the powerplant can drastically affect an airgun's accuracy potential. Spring piston guns are notoriously hold sensitive and difficult to shoot accurately. Pneumatic and PCP (precharged pneumatic) guns are much, much easier to shoot accurately. CO2 guns suffer from velocity sensitivity to ambient air temperatures.

If I had to pick a rifle/pellet for outdoor accuracy at reasonable distances (20 yards to 70 yards) I'd shoot a .22 caliber PCP rifle with JSB midweight pellets at a muzzle velocity of 800 to 900 fps.

A great resource for airgun specs, pellet specs, and customer reviews is Pyramyd Air. I go there often.

Does this answer your question?

Hawkeye Wizard

P.S. Have you gotten that trigger that you wanted me to test?

Friend HW

Bill,
You asked about .177 versus .22 accuracy.
Here's an honest answer ----- it depends.

Airgun accuracy is very highly dependent on pellet selection, range to target, and environmental conditions.

Pellet brand, pellet weight, and pellet shape significantly affect any airgun's accuracy. Unlike the .22LR world where projectile shape and weight are fairly standard, in the airgun world every caliber of pellets can be purchased in a large range of weights and shapes.

All high $ target rifles and pistols are .177. So at 10 meters indoors, I'd say that .177 shooting wadcutter pellets at a muzzle velocity of 400 to 550 fps has the edge in pure accuracy.
But outdoors and/or at longer ranges those wadcutter pellets are very poor.

Outdoors in the wind, .22 caliber round nose pellets will drift far less and retain their velocity much better.

Given the same powerplant putting the same amount of energy into both .177 and .22 pellets, the lighter .177 pellets have significantly greater muzzle velocity. But they shed that velocity quickly. At longer ranges I believe that .22 has the edge in both energy and accuracy.

Also the nature of the powerplant can drastically affect an airgun's accuracy potential. Spring piston guns are notoriously hold sensitive and difficult to shoot accurately. Pneumatic and PCP (precharged pneumatic) guns are much, much easier to shoot accurately. CO2 guns suffer from velocity sensitivity to ambient air temperatures.

If I had to pick a rifle/pellet for outdoor accuracy at reasonable distances (20 yards to 70 yards) I'd shoot a .22 caliber PCP rifle with JSB midweight pellets at a muzzle velocity of 800 to 900 fps.

A great resource for airgun specs, pellet specs, and customer reviews is Pyramyd Air. I go there often.

Does this answer your question?

Hawkeye Wizard

P.S. Have you gotten that trigger that you wanted me to test?

Friend HW:

Yes, thank you.....

My old Crosman was 22 cal......

I had a long conversation with Anthony DiOrio a few days ago....

He's getting close to having prototypes of his XP style, center grip trigger, and soon thereafter his rifle version.

If I get to test one of the rifle versions, I'll ask him to allow me to send it to you, to test.

Your friend, BC

PS:

HW, the Remington pattern trigger, itself, is a handicap to accuracy shooting.......I've written about the issues with it for years...

Of all the light pull, target versions of the Remington pattern trigger, the simple, three lever design probably affects accuracy in a negative way the least of them all.

The main reason, is because the tip of the third lever is a direct link to the trigger sear itself.......whereas, all the other versions have an intermediary link between what would be their third lever, and the trigger sear itself.

I've got to butt in here.......sorry...

I've got to butt in here.......sorry...

CYA friends:

I just looked outside.......absolutely dead calm.........

They're shooting right now at Livonia......

Dead calm...

I heard that the "girl with a pistol" will be at Livonia tonight...........maybe.....

Your friend, BC

Back
Top Bottom