Fred "General Lee" Sears

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Fred "General Lee" Sears

Friend Fred Sears:

If nothing else, what you've done so far with General Lee, a used, Calfee, SAP Falcon, has demonstrated to the world of RFBR accuracy exactly how far custom, SAP ignitiond RFBR actions have backed up since the days of the Falcon.

The SAP ignition RFBR actions available to the public today, are nowhere near as consistent as the Falcon ignition.

And you and General Lee have demonstrated that to the SAP ignition world.

Fred, Falcon actions, because of you, have all of a sudden become high dollar items.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Custom, SAP ignitioned RFBR actions have backed up in ignition consistency since the days of the Falcon.

DSC05062.jpg

Last edited:
40-X ignition verses Falcon ignition

40-X ignition verses Falcon ignition

CYA friends:

Well blueprinted Falcon ignition is more consistent than well blueprinted 40-X ignition.

I've ran 10 round case head penetration tests on both.

An aside:

When I use the term 40-X ignition, I'm referring to all RFBR actions that use it, the Remington 40-X and the custom RFBR actions that are 40-X ignitioned.

(To the best of my knowledge, the only currently available SAP custom RFBR actions on the market today are 40-X ignitioned.)

So if one starts a new SAP ignition build today, you will be using 40-X ignition.

Anyway, there's several reasons the Falcon ignition is more consistent than 40-X ignition.

One reason the Falcon ignition is superior, is that although it uses a threaded bolt shroud, the drag issues associated with 40-X bolt shroud drag are very cleverly eliminated.

Now, did Leonard Baity and Johnathan come up with this clever design on purpose, or, did it just work out that way in the final analysis?

You know, Leonard and Johnathan could have used 40-X ignition like everyone else, but they chose not to, which means they probably, by clever design, chose to eliminate the bind issues associated with 40-X ignition.

I'll pick this up later, I've just got a phone call that I must take...sorry....bc

(I don't have time to edit now, so please excuse any grammar or spelling errors.)

DSC05065.jpg

Last edited:
A picture to study...

A picture to study...

CYA friends:

I'm a nervous wreck waiting to see what this new DiOrio MD-PAS triple looks like.

So a good way to pass the time, since Robert Oates got General Lee and Fred Sears together, is to analyze why Falcon ignition is the most consistent SAP ignition in the world.

Here's a picture.....

The Falcon has a characteristic that no other SAP ignition has that uses a threaded bolt shroud.....

This characteristic is a double edged sword, though.

This characteristic is one thing that makes the Falcon SAP ignition so consistent....

But..........it also causes some Falcons to have a draggy kind of bolt movement......which there's no cure for...

If you work the Falcon breech bolt for and aft without imparting any upward or downward pressure on the bolt handle, the bolt movement is doable.

But, if you apply upward or downward pressure to the bolt handle as you move it for or aft, the bolt can bind up......there's a reason for this, and again, it's not curable.

But, this same characteristic is one of the reason Falcon ignition is so consistent...

So I'll trade a sometimes draggy breech bolt for the Falcons ignition consistence.

One other thing.....

This characteristic that you see in this picture can not be cured......

I tried, and yes, I made the breech bolt movement slick as glass........but I lost the ignition consistency.

And again, the Falcon is the only SAP ignition in the world, that uses a threaded bolt shroud, that has this unique characteristic.

More later.....bc

Buffer%20spring%20installed%20-%20Copy_1.jpg

Please keep something in mind here:

You're looking at the breech bolt de-cocked.......in the cocked position the teat on the cocking piece resides in the resting notch of the locking lug collar......

As you view the teat on the cocking notch and the locking lug collar in this picture, if properly blueprinted they do not touch each other.

But also keep in mind, when the action is at battery, the cocking piece teat and the locking lug collar are in this same relationship, only now the firing pin is cocked.

One other thing: As you view this picture please keep in mind that the spearmental firing pin buffer on the rear of the bolt shroud is not part of Falcon ignition.

I just didn't have a picture without it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom