Baity 6 ignition for my new 40-X pistol

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Baity 6 ignition for my new 40-X pistol

CYA friends:

I have a Baity 6:00 ignition for the 40-X.

I don't know how many of these that Leonard Baity produced.........

I may have the only one........

If, this is the only 6:00 ignition Leonard Baity ever produced for 40-X's......do you realize how valuable this conversion is?

The value of this conversion, is one reason I've never used it....

But, there's another reason I've not used it.

Everything about this Baity 6, 40-X conversion is pristine....

Except for one thing:

The counter bore in the breech bolt nose, is slightly off-set to the primary extractor side of the bolt nose.

I'm posting a couple of pictures now...

I'll get back into the details later.......( I'm headed to the range)

Your friend, Bill Calfee

A Baity, 40-X, 6 ignition conversion.....this may be the only one in the world???????

DSC09579.jpg

If I can blueprint this Baity 6 ignition, and use it in my new 40-X pistol, do you realize the value that it will make this pistol?

It boggles the imagination.......off to the range...

DSC09584%20-%20Copy.jpg

I may try to solve the bolt nose issue and use it.

I may try to solve the bolt nose issue and use it.

CYA friends:

I've been thinking.....

This Baity 6 ignition for a 40-X isn't going to do anyone any good unless the counter bore in the bolt nose is corrected.

I had a Turbo bolt nose off centered some years ago, and I re-centered it, which increased the size of the counter bore a few thousandths and the extractors would not grab the case rim and hold it secure, so as I withdrew the breech bolt the case would fall away and lay on the loading tray.........Flash sent me another.....I had to see if I could correct the defective one.....

This Baity 6 ignition uses Savage extractors, which are much more aggressive than Turbo extractors, so it might work.

A couple of things....

One, this Baity conversion uses a full width loading tray, like the Falcon, and if you notice, has the set screw in the front of the tray which allows one to adjust the angle of the tray.......

This is why the Falcon loads so nice, likewise this 40-X conversion will do the same..

40-X's have a narrow loading tray....so the factory installed a spring loaded deflector so cartridges wouldn't fall into the opening between the tray and the locking lug raceway......

But, most of them don't function as intended......most of the time the deflector simply sticks in the breech bolt raceway, which helps some...

So this full width loading tray will solve that issue......

There's one other issue......which is my fault:

40-X's, over the years, have had two different tenon lengths where the front half of the bolt fits into the rear, or locking lug half.

Leonard didn't have a 40-X at the time, so I sent him a 40-X breech bolt......

But as it turned out, the one I sent him to copy, was the earlier, long tenoned style.....

You can see in the picture the long tenon......and the corresponding locking lugs, with the earlier, straight, non-swept back handle.

I want to use the locking lugs that are currently in my new 40-X pistol.....

But, they are the later short tenon style.

Therefore, to use this Baity 6 conversion, I'll have to machine down the long tenon to fit the late locking lugs in my pistol...

Which will work fine......just a hassle......I wish I'd sent him one of the late 40-X breech bolts...

By the way, I actually prefer the long tenoned breech bolt....and I do not know exactly why Remington changed.....

Probably the short tenon, late version, is cheaper to machine.

The long tenon version makes for a much slicker working and rigid connection between the two halves of the breech bolt....

If you're thinking, why don't I just use the earlier locking lugs?

I've tried them, and they do not make full contact in my pistol action....not even close..

Plus, I've already cut this stock for the swept back handle.......

OH, I got to shoot my 40-X pistol again.....it is stout, even with 12:00 ignition.

Oh man, I've got to have 6 ignition now.......but man, as stout as this thing is, what would I have if it were MD-PAS ignition!!!

Your friend, BC

This is a really well made 6 ignition conversion......it's a shame it has that little off-set in the bolt nose.....

But since it has the Savage extractors, I may be able to solve that issue.......I've made up my mind to try.

DSC09579%20-%20Copy.jpg

Luck of the draw

Luck of the draw

CYA friends:

Savage extractors are designed for use with a magazine, clip.

And they're designed for right port Savage actions.

So the primary extractor is pointed at the top of the claw, then angles rearward toward the bottom of the claw.

This allows easier feeding from the clip.

But, when we use them for left port actions, which there's a bunch of, the point of the claw is up-side-down.

This means when extractor slots are cut, that point winds up below the center line of the cut.....

Unless one uses a formed cutter to do the slots, the radius of the chamber, at the bottom side of the cut, stands away from the extractor,

and marginal extraction power can happen, unless some needle file work it done.

OK, if my 40-X pistol had a left port, with the Savage extractor up-side-down, I know for sure I could make things work after re-centering the counter bore for the case head in the breech bolt nose...

But, by the luck of the draw, 40-X's are right port, which means the point of the claw will be at the top of the extractor slot, therefore, the possibility of the extractors leaving a spent case on the loading tray are high.....after I re-center the counter bore.

By the way, whether I use traditional extractor cuts, which I will, or cone the breech, the same thing will happen.

But I'm going to give it a try, anyway.

Your friend, BC

DSC09584%20-%20Copy.jpg

Well, I've been debating what to do...

Well, I've been debating what to do...

CYA friends:

Do I try to modify my Baity 6 ignition, or, do I convert my 40-X bolt to 6 ignition?

I've already drilled my 40-X bolt for 6 ignition.

And I can't guarantee, for positive, without doing it, that the Baity 6 will function correctly once the bolt nose counter bore is centered properly.

So I'm still studying.

One way or the other, it will be 6 ignition........the thing shoots to killer not to.

Your friend, BC

My Baity 6 ignition is the older, long tenon version.

By the way, the short tenon will work fine in the older rear section of the 40-X bolt.

DSC09611.jpg

Back
Top Bottom