Thread: The very first Turbo

The very first Turbo

The very first Turbo

CYA friends:

This has been a most enlightening week.

Six days ago I was asked to evaluate a RFBR rifle.

There's so much to discuss, in particular the advancement of rimfire accuracy past the level we're at today.

We must have a properly executed, MD-PAS triple, for the masses.

I believe that more today than I did just one week ago, before I was asked to evaluate that RFBR rifle.

CYA friends, 26 years ago at the 1992 BR-50 Nationals, Selby Wright half tracked that talented field with the world's very first Turbo actioned, RFBR gun.

Of course we didn't know this at that time.

But I'm totally convinced today, after these past six days of reflection, that Selby did use the very first, ever, Turbo RFBR gun at the 1992 BR-50 Nationals.

So much to do.....................

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Selby Wright was in a different time zone compared to the rest of the competitors, and now I firmly believe I have a better understanding as to why.

Except for the added momentum given to PAS ignition by Flash Ebert with his Turbo RFBR action 6 years later, Selby Wright was technically shooting a Turbo action.

Frank Martin was shooting a PAS ignition 52 Winchester......which was still good enough for 2nd...

Neither Selby, or his rifle, ever saw another National......

Last edited by Bill Calfee; 06-12-2018 at 01:15 PM.

1993 BR-50 Nationals

1993 BR-50 Nationals

CYA friends:

As of six days ago, the world of rimfire accuracy advancement has been enlightened........

The 1993 BR-50 Nationals, held in Houston, TX, was won by Glen Townley....

( I ran third that year with my pistol.........there's a story about MD's and this 1993 BR-50 Nationals that I'll tell one day)

Anyway, to show you what Selby Wright's domination in 1992, using what was technically a Turbo action, was for the world of Big Time RFBR........

Look at the score Glen won the 1993 BR-50 Nationals with, then compare it to Selby's 1992 winning score.

(By the way, before any of you folks think for a second, "different ranges with different conditions between 1992 and 1993, and Lexington, Ky verses Houston, Tx?"

There aren't any conditions, or ranges, that will cause what Selby Wright did.....

That was simply Turbo killing it 26 years ago.......just like TCA's still do 26 years later..

Top 25 at the 1993 BR-50 Nationals..

CYA friends, we have so much to discuss......

Selby Wright technically used a Turbo back in 1992.......

And was 500 points, on the agg, ahead of the 1993 winner... 1500 points overall.....

Because of his being the first shooter in the world to compete with, what was technically, a Turbo.

Selby and his "Turbo" were so far ahead of the rest of the world of Big Time RFBR......

Your friend, BC

Last edited by Bill Calfee; 06-12-2018 at 09:45 PM.

What a difference a week makes.......

What a difference a week makes.......

CYA friends:

Since 1992 I've been amazed at what Selby Wright did at the 92' BR-50 Nationals in Kentucky....

Yes he was an extremely talented shooter.........but so was Frank Martin the runner up......and so were a bunch of the rest of the folks.....Glen Townley, who won in 93'......etc.......

But his amazing shooting talent, alone, has never satisfied me as to how he could half track that talented field like he did...

One week ago, I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, as to why he was able to do what he did....

As soon as I snapped the barrel shoulder against that cased action face, something inside me clicked.......

I thought either the barrel shoulder or action face was out of square......but they weren't.......

And then it dawned on me...............

When I squared the action face of Selby's C Model 52, I removed the case....

The PAS ignition was already in place......

And now that C Model was like a Turbo.......both the barrel shoulder and action face were now compatible.......just like the TCA's are today.

Selby Wright got to compete in a Big National, with what basically amounted to a Turbo, six years before Flash Ebert gave the world his MD-PAS ignitioned Turbo action.

The rifle that man used was six years ahead of its time......

I wish he could have shot it in 93'..........but he never competed at another Big National with it....

CYA friends, at Selby's age, and physical condition at that time, the 92' BR-50 National being held in Lexington, KY, 90 miles from his home, was the only reason he was able to attend....

He knew that would be his only chance to attend a BR-50 National.....

And as it turned out, he got to use a piece of equipment that was six years ahead of its time........

And he most certainly made the most of it........

Selby's feat in 1992 ranks with Chuck "Raging Inferno" Morrell's 12,050 PSL record.....

Simply fascinating.

Your friend, BC

Larry Brown, left, handing Selby the trophy.........

Last edited by Bill Calfee; 06-13-2018 at 04:15 PM.