1992 BR-50 Nationals.......

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
1992 BR-50 Nationals.......

CYA friends:

How did one competitor, Selby Wright, half track that 1992 BR-50 field like he did?

Was Selby a great shooter, oh yes, but so was Frank Martin....

For you folks who weren't around back then, most of you, the best Big Time RFBR shooters on the face of the planet were there in 92'.

Have any of you ever heard of Glen Townley..............................

Who's that Macky Locklin feller................

Warren McFarland.................Mac..........

And our friends Dave and Pat Smith.....

So how did Selby half track that killer field of Big Time RFBR shooters back in 92'?

Of course his C Model 52 Winchester was PAS ignitioned...........

( some things never change, and never will when it comes to uniform rimfire ignition)

But CYA friends, after almost 30 years now, I've discovered there was a secondary factor, along with Selby's PAS ignition, that allowed him to half track that super talented field back in 92'..............

HMC..................................

I've not been so cited since I developed the muzzle device 30 years ago..............

Your friend, Bill Calfee

I want you to please look closely at Selby's score......

(Please remember, BR-50 is exactly like having to shoot two ARA cards in 30 minutes, back to back)

Look how far Selby was ahead of Frank.......then from there on down the scores were close....

There's a reason for this.......two reasons.......as of four days ago...

BR-50Nationals1992.jpg

PS:

Oh no, I ain't going to sleep tonight............which ain't no different from the past four nights......

I can't tell you folks how cited I am by this HMC thing.....

Last edited:
Some things......

Some things......

CYA friends:

A couple of points here........

I fit either a C or D Model 52 Winchester barrel to Frank Martin's D Model.........not a 37 Remington like I fit to Selby's C Model.

And I'm fairly sure Frank used R-50 ammo, not Eley.

On the Winchester barrel I fit to Frank's D Model, I remember cutting a bunch off at the breech, so the barrel was fairly short in length.

And for some reason that short Winchester barrel took to R-50.....

BR-50Nationals1992.jpg

Was Selby Wright a killer shooter, oh yes......

But so was Frank.......

That first, true, big National took place going on 30 years ago......

And until a few days ago, my grinding the face of Selby's C Model never crossed my mind as having anything to do with him half tracking that big field.

Yes, me grinding the face squared it up, but that's not what caused his domination of that talented field...

The face of Frank's D Model was just as square............but it hadn't been ground, machined, metal removed in some manner, either)

So the HMC of Frank's contraption was totally different than Selby's.....

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom