Chambering.....is it blind luck, or the most difficult operation on a RFBR barrel?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Chambering.....is it blind luck, or the most difficult operation on a RFBR barrel?

CYA friends:

I'm getting ready to fit another Muller.............

So I asked my buddy Wally to come up and watch the process, and, to write about what he witnessed today in my shop.

So sometime in the up-coming days, Wally will post his impressions of what he witnessed today.

CYA friends.............

Cutting and properly finishing the chamber in a rimfire accuracy barrel does one of two things:

It either extracts all the accuracy potential of the new blank, if done perfectly, or, it totally screws up the accuracy potential of a new blank, if done improperly.

CYA friends, 90% of the new blanks fit by "RFBR accuracy schmidts", are fit unsatisfactorily.......

Wally will post his thoughts soon...........

By the way, I advised him in no way, as to what I was doing today when I cut the chamber..

Wally's comments as to what he witnessed today, will be his.............

Your friend, Bill Calfee

I for one, am most anxious to read his thoughts. Thank you Bill, for the time you put into this site to advance rimfire accuracy.

Your friend,

Steve

CYA friends:

I'm getting ready to fit another Muller.............

So I asked my buddy Wally to come up and watch the process, and, to write about what he witnessed today in my shop.

So sometime in the up-coming days, Wally will post his impressions of what he witnessed today.

CYA friends.............

Cutting and properly finishing the chamber in a rimfire accuracy barrel does one of two things:

It either extracts all the accuracy potential of the new blank, if done perfectly, or, it totally screws up the accuracy potential of a new blank, if done improperly.

CYA friends, 90% of the new blanks fit by "RFBR accuracy schmidts", are fit unsatisfactorily.......

Wally will post his thoughts soon...........

By the way, I advised him in no way, as to what I was doing today when I cut the chamber..

Wally's comments as to what he witnessed today, will be his.............

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Bill,

It was good to see you and since I was coming that way it was nice to sit for a while and watch you chamber that barrel. It's been nine years since I wrote "A Rifle's Tale" and things have changed. I will write it up exactly the way I did nine years ago, which was from my perspective and not intended to be a gunsmith's guide. I will say this. Over the years you have taught me a few things and one is how to evaluate a chamber. Whoever ends up with that will never be able to blame the chamber for any problems, it is perfect.

WS

Friend AZ_Speed

I for one, am most anxious to read his thoughts. Thank you Bill, for the time you put into this site to advance rimfire accuracy.

Your friend,

Steve

Friend AZ_Speed:

I agree, I believe everyone interested in advancing rimfire accuracy will be anxious to read what Wally has to say about what he witnessed in my shop today.

Friend AZ, I prompted Wally today in no way.....he watched what I did.....what he writes will be his thoughts only...

I did do one thing though...

After the chamber was cut, not finished yet, I did instruct Wally in one of the ways of determining whether a chamber is perfectly centered, or not.

I had him view a round that I had inserted in the chamber, then withdrew...

I instructed him on how to read the round to determine how centered the chamber is.

It will be fascinating to read what he has to say about determining how centered a chamber is...

Again, when Wally has time to do this story, I'm sure everyone will be fascinated by what he has to say.........

The chamber, and how well it's centered and finished, makes or breaks a new rimfire blank...

And centering and finishing a perfect chamber, is the absolute most difficult job a RFBR schmidt has to do...

Your friend, BC

PS:

Wally, I see you just posted a couple of minutes before I did.....

Everyone will be anxious to hear your account of the chambering we did today......

We all look forward to it.....

I enjoyed having you watch the chambering today.....

It was like the day you spent with me when I fit the ratchet on Gingersnap, and you did your story of the rifles' tale.....which is in my book.

BC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom