Is this what I've dreamed of for 29 years?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Is this what I've dreamed of for 29 years?

CYA friends:

The CYankees have dominated big time RFBR shooting for 29 years, ever since Larry Brown gave the world of rimfire accuracy, BR-50.

It would take 10 pages to list the CYankees Big National wins these past 29 years....

Having said the above, did I just test the most accurate RFBR gun ever produced a few minutes ago at the range?

I'm not going to sleep tonight......I'm so cited...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

Conditions this evening were as good as any Indoor RFBR match in history.

72 degrees, with the flags dead......I mean dead...

DSC08912.jpg

CYA friends, I'm going to show you the target I kicked out this evening...

I fouled the barrel to the right, 5 shots....I'm pointing to the five shots with my finger..

Then I kicked out the last 20 rounds in the box, shooting bulls......

Is this my best effort in 29 years?

I ain't going to sleep tonight...

Oh, by the way.....this was not done with Big Dog's Lapua...

This was done with Eley black, 2069, from 2015....

DSC08911.jpg

Last edited:
Friend TE

That's great. Sure feels good when everything goes together right and meets expectations.
Todd

Friend TE:

I laid in bed all night and contemplated things.....

So many takeaways from my spearment, from the first, non-trick Muller that I sent to the Barn untested by me, that Robert Oates kicked out that 17X PSL card with, with a part of a box of Lapua that a friend gave him......to this trick Muller and last evening.

I got lucky, and put absolutely perfect chambers in both barrels....

This trick Muller I've actually got finished every so slightly better....( I was describing the difference to the ole Hawk yesterday)

Both of these fine Muller's evaluated double killer......

And when you get lucky with perfect chambers in beautiful bores, if the twist rate is uniform, which is something I can not determine, they have to shoot, especially since they're both fit to a MD-PAS triple...

By the way, this MD-PAS triple, on my spearment, is what I want for the masses one day, hopefully soon.

Yes I want the backbone put back in the action, and I want a blank canvas, but other than that, this action is absolutely perfect.

The ignition is absolutely perfect......this thing closes up the rim, completely, without banging the case rim against the breech face of the barrel hard enough to cause undue vibrations.

And I lift the bolt handle with my first finger only.....

I'm not a professional bedder, but I got lucky bedding this fine Jim Peightal stock, which is made of flint hard, maple and walnut.

There is absolutely no movement between the fore end and barrel......zero.

Therefore, if the uniformity of twist rate of these Muller's is good, they simply had to shoot....and oh how they do shoot.....man!

Something else I've learned, and something I'm really proud of.....from last evening.

For the first time in my career of fooling with RFBR guns, I felt an appreciation for a 45 power scope last evening.

I've placed cross hairs on the five shot group, and, where I wound up holding off.

The rounds were hitting slightly to the right of the cross hair.....and slightly high.

And I almost didn't fudge enough on my first record shot.......( I started at the first bull to the left of the 5 shot group)

I do not believe with my old 20 power Lyman, or even with my converted 30 power, that I could have held tight enough to have kicked out those 20 straight 100's.......

Oh, and that 2069 black box is some killer Eley.......Big Dog, Wally and Foster all like it, along with, I believe, 2072.....

One other thing, which I also discussed with the ole Hawk yesterday....

I kinda out foxed myself a little when I cut the tenon length on this 10-X triple back to 1.000"...........(it's actually .998", with a HS of .043")..

Most TCA's have tenons at least 1.000", or a few thousandths longer.....

Which means for me to fit one of these barrels to another TCA action, I'll have to re-cut the barrel shoulder......which is no problem since I have my muzzle and breech targets........and keep it perfectly square with the barrel thread.

But, If I'd cut the tenon length to say 1.010", then I could re-fit these barrels to 90% of other TCA's, by simply using a precision spacer.

And by the way, there's folks wanting these barrels...

Although, this spearment is not for sale......and there's folks wanting it too.....

Just like I told the ole Hawk yesterday, I don't want to go to all the trouble of making me another, should I sell it....

Anyway, man these things are killer citing when they work...

Your friend, BC

I almost let that first record shot get away from me.....

Oh, and the thing I'm very proud of, which I forgot to mention, is the fact that I hand stamp these bulls, and they are not in a straight row across the target, and the target isn't level to start with, which means I had to make a vertical adjustment, as well as a horizontal adjustment, for every round......

DSC08911_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom