Like a kid in a candy shop, again.

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Like a kid in a candy shop, again.

CYA friends:

It's been a long, cold old winter.......real cold, bout as cold as it's been in years.

Not much spearmentin' been happening......until yesterday....

I've had a Muller blank for some years now that slugs and measures absolutely perfect.....28 inch blank.

But the reason I've not fooled with it, is because it measures about .2221" at the muzzle.....and I decided long ago that I wouldn't fool with bores over .2220" at the muzzle...

But after that .2225", at the muzzle, Muller kicked out that 6.88 at the Lapua test facility last year, I decided to go ahead and fit this current Muller..

So yesterday, since it was so warm and comfortable, I went to work on this Muller...

CYankee schmidts have changed the sequence in which we do the chambering.....

Before we would chamber after threading and fitting the barrel to the action.....

This because the threading, and reducing the OD of the barrel to tenon diameter, does distort the bore, so doing the chambering last cut through the distortion, or most of it......

And for years it took me sometimes days, literally, to psych myself up enough to cut the chamber.....simply because that chamber is going to make or break the accuracy of the barrel.....plus, if we screw up the chamber, we've got all that threading and fitting to do again...

But now we chamber after facing the ends of the blank and manually cutting our 60 degree centers.....

We run the chamber in deep, then come back to it with the threading and head spacing........gives very precision chamber lengths as a bonus..

Anyway, I got this new Muller's chamber cut yesterday........and by every measurement I know of, every indicator of a perfectly centered chamber, this thing is perfect, not close, but absolutely perfect....blind luck.

I was so cited I called the ole Hawk after I got it cut, and described my indicators to him......

Anyway, I'm like a kid in a candy shop today.......cited.

I'm fitting this new Muller to my spearment.......

So if the world don't end, I may be at the range later today, that is if I don't goof something up.....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
No pressure

No pressure

CYA friends:

I'm in the stage of my being a RFBR schmidt where there's no pressure.......( I've not worked for the public in years now)

What I mean is, I'm playing...........

I wanted to try to have this new Muller ready to shoot today......( way too windy if I did have it ready )

But I'm kinda taking it easy.....

I'm kinda refining things as I go....

I normally center the barrel, cut precision centers, then turn my muzzle and breech targets, in that order, so the barrel is ready to do the threading as soon as I cut my breech target....

But today I cut my muzzle target, then before going further, set the barrel up in my draw file/polishing fixture, and prepped the muzzle end for the MD.

See, I want the surface for the MD to be perfectly parallel, when finished, and perfectly centered on the bore...

I don't want my MD clamped to a taper.......any amount of taper.....and I most certainly don't want it not perfectly centered on the bore.

So today after I cut my muzzle target I removed the barrel and prepped it for my MD before going further..

Oh and something else......( I'm cited )

This Muller will finish at slightly over 26 inches....

The blank was 28 inches, and I wound up cutting about the same amount from each end....

Which means this barrel is straight............I mean dead nuts straight...

I had to remove maybe a thousandth-and-a-half to center the muzzle target on the bore......

And when I turned on my filing/polishing fixture to finish the muzzle end for my MD, this barrel just sat there spinning, plumb stationary, absolutely no vibration from spinning at 1500 RPM..

Which means the bore is in the middle of this fine Muller.......

( Well Calfee, ain't they all in the middle? )

Are you kiddin' me..............

Anyway, I'm playing, and spearmentin', and refining, and massaging this fine Muller.....

And getting more cited every minute...........

This thing might not shoot in a bucket........but I've got a funny feeling in my gut...

Your friend, BC

PS:

We must have a properly executed, MD-PAS triple, for the masses, or we're going to stagnate right were we're at..........

And I'm serious...............

Last edited:
Perfectly centered chamber, blind lucky....

Perfectly centered chamber, blind lucky....

CYA friends:

I laid in bed last night and pondered this new Muller....

I got to thinking, "man, you ain't under no pressure, so take your time and enjoy every step of this fitting....."

Oh yes, I'd love to be at the range getting ready to shoot it, now.

But, I'm just playing.....and thinking.....and learning.........yes learning......."Hey, when I grow up I might want to be one of them RFBR schmidts."

And I'm cited!

CYA friends, there's several ways to gauge how centered a rimfire chamber is......or isn't.

The final indicator of a perfectly center chamber is this:

On a properly engraved chamber, the front driving band protrudes into the actual bore of the barrel several thousandths......

To run this particular test one must use the SK ammo, or late Lapua, that have just a thin layer of grease on the bullet....

You can't use Eley, not very well anyway, since there's so much more "wax" on the bullet which simply builds up at, and in front of, the leade when a round is inserted and withdrawn.....

There's so much wax pushed out in the bore, with Eley rounds, that one can't distinguish whether the film of wax, right in front of the leade, is evenly distributed, or not.

The film of grease put down by the SK, or Lapua, is so thin that one can immediately distinguish how even it is, or not.

Put another way, if your chamber is not absolutely, perfectly centered; when using the SK or Lapua grease, some of the grooves will not show any grease at all, or just a partial deposit in a particular groove.

Even with what seems to be a well centered chamber by the other methods of measuring chamber centering, this last grease test will tell the tale for positive.

All of the various chamber centering measurements must be done before any chamber finishing.........

You can't accurately read the other chamber centering indicators after the chamber is finished.......at least not well.......

Yes a bad, off-center chamber will still jump out at you......

But we're looking for the difference between really good, and perfect.

( really good don't cut it, if you expect 2400+ ARA Aggs out of the barrel)

Anyway, when I ran my final grease test on the chamber in this new Muller, there was a perfect little film of grease, with the front of the pattern sharp as a razor blade, all the way round......I mean perfect...( blind lucky)

This thing probably won't shoot in a bucket......

But I'm cited anyway.....

Your friend, BC

PS:

I want to add something else....

Obviously, with such a thin marking medium, if the groove diameters of this Muller weren't absolutely perfect, the extremely thin film of grease would not have been so perfectly distributed.

Which is another reason I'm so cited.....

It's not totally uncommon for taper lapped barrels to have some groove run-out in the breech.....and still produce a killer...

But when the grooves at the breech end are perfect, Katie bar the door.

This barrel reminds me of that fine Muller on TDX....

DSC06458.jpg

Last edited:
If you have expectations of 2400, 6 card rimfire accuracy...

If you have expectations of 2400+ agg, 6 card rimfire accuracy...

CYA friends:

If your dream is to someday kick out 2400+ aggs, like the Chuckster and Big Dog did two weeks ago at the Barn:

You must have perfectly centered chambers of the correct leade length, that are perfectly finished, in a perfect spec barrel like the Muller I'm currently fooling with......

And, you must have that barrel correctly fit to a MD-PAS ignition RFBR action.

No form of SAP rimfire ignition is capable of producing the kind of accuracy required to kick out back-to-back 2400+ aggs like the Chuckster and Big Dog did two weeks ago at the Barn..

This is why we must have a MD-PAS ignition triple, for the masses, or we're stuck right where we're at today...

Your friend, BC

PS:

To kick out numbers like these two kicked out at the Barn two weeks ago, requires barrels chambered and finished as I've just described, plus, MD-PAS ignition.

The Chuckster...2416.667 ( 2400 ,2350, 2450, 2450, 2450, 2400 )

deuses%20wild%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy.jpg

Big Dog.......2408.333 ( 2400, 2400, 2350, 2400, 2450, 2450 )

big%20dog%20at%20indy%20-%20Copy_1.jpg

CYA friends, the emotion, the joy, and the elation that Chuck Morrell and Mike Sherrill experienced after they kicked out those unbelievable back-to-back 2400+ aggs at the Barn two weeks ago, is something every RFBR shooter on the face of the planet dreams of experiencing.

This is why I push so hard to get the equipment that will give any RFBR shooter, anywhere, the chance to experience that same elation...BC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom