The E Turbo, a fascinating history

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool

CYA friends:

It's been almost 20 years since my first E Turbo build.

The E Turbo has been the most successful rimfire accuracy producing action in history.....

Maybe it's time to explore the history of Flash Ebert's Turbo RFBR action.

I'll start this way:

The E Turbo came about basically, because of two things.

The first is the brilliant design engineering of the Winchester Firearms Company.

Almost 100 years ago, Winchester designed a rimfire target action, the Model 52.

The Model 52 Winchester has been the basis for every rimfire target action since, including today.

1. The horizontal rear locking lugs.

2. The .750" diameter barrel thread.

3. And the most important aspect of all, the 52 Winchesters ingenious PAS ignition system.

And the second factor, which has made the E Turbo the greatest rimfire accuracy producing action in history, is luck.

Yes, luck.

I'm going to stop at this point...and make a couple of comments.

CYA friends, I learn best, and retain what I do learn, best, if I have to dig for the knowledge.

The digging has taught me to think.......and, I don't believe I'm the only human being like this....

I believe everyone learns better, and retains better, if they have to think through whatever subject they're dealing with.

This is one reason I pose a lot of questions here on CYA.

And now I have a question.........and this question gets into some of the "luck" I spoke of above.

Question:

If one removes the trigger and loading ramp of the 52 Winchester, the breech bolt will not cock.

If one removes the trigger and loading ramp of the E Turbo, the breech bolt will cock as usual.

The question is, Why?

(Both of these actions are of course, PAS ignitioned.)

We're just getting started, more soon.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

CYA friends, why is this subject important?

It's important because almost 20 years ago Flash Ebert designed a RFBR action.

And that action instantly went to the top of the rimfire accuracy world.

And it's still there today.....after almost 20 years.

And chances are, it will still be at the top in another 20 years...

When Flash Ebert decided to produce a RFBR action, for whatever reason(s), he wound up producing an action capable of 10-0, 10 round case head penetration test runs....

Unless I'm mistaken, there is no such thing as a 11-0, 10 round case head penetration run.

So Flash Ebert wound up producing the absolute ultimate, rimfire ignition consistency......

There is no more...

It is simply fascinating to understand how this all came about..

This is why I started this history of the E Turbo, with the question that I did.......bc

Last edited:
Old age..........

CYA friends:

It's been almost 20 years since my first E Turbo build.

The E Turbo has been the most successful rimfire accuracy producing action in history.....

Maybe it's time to explore the history of Flash Ebert's Turbo RFBR action.

I'll start this way:

The E Turbo came about basically, because of two things.

The first is the brilliant design engineering of the Winchester Firearms Company.

Almost 100 years ago, Winchester designed a rimfire target action, the Model 52.

The Model 52 Winchester has been the basis for every rimfire target action since, including today.

1. The horizontal rear locking lugs.

2. The .750" diameter barrel thread.

3. And the most important aspect of all, the 52 Winchesters ingenious PAS ignition system.

And the second factor, which has made the E Turbo the greatest rimfire accuracy producing action in history, is luck.

Yes, luck.

I'm going to stop at this point...and make a couple of comments.

CYA friends, I learn best, and retain what I do learn, best, if I have to dig for the knowledge.

The digging has taught me to think.......and, I don't believe I'm the only human being like this....

I believe everyone learns better, and retains better, if they have to think through whatever subject they're dealing with.

This is one reason I pose a lot of questions here on CYA.

And now I have a question.........and this question gets into some of the "luck" I spoke of above.

Question:

If one removes the trigger and loading ramp of the 52 Winchester, the breech bolt will not cock.

If one removes the trigger and loading ramp of the E Turbo, the breech bolt will cock as usual.

The question is, Why?

(Both of these actions are of course, PAS ignitioned.)

We're just getting started, more soon.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

CYA friends, why is this subject important?

It's important because almost 20 years ago Flash Ebert designed a RFBR action.

And that action instantly went to the top of the rimfire accuracy world.

And it's still there today.....after almost 20 years.

And chances are, it will still be at the top in another 20 years...

When Flash Ebert decided to produce a RFBR action, for whatever reason(s), he wound up producing an action capable of 10-0, 10 round case head penetration test runs....

Unless I'm mistaken, there is no such thing as a 11-0, 10 round case head penetration run.

So Flash Ebert wound up producing the absolute ultimate, rimfire ignition consistency......

There is no more...

It is simply fascinating to understand how this all came about..

This is why I started this history of the E Turbo, with the question that I did.......bc

Old age.......

CYA friends:

I'm sorry, but I forgot to post the picture of the 52 Winchester and E Turbo firing pins....

It would be tough to get hold of Turbo and 52 Winchester actions, then remove the trigger and loading ramp from each, so as to see why the 52 Winchester will not cock, and the E Turbo will.....

Below is the picture.....

The picture shows the firing pins, both 12 pin location, side by side, in the same orientation as they would be in their respective breech bolt bodies.

Now, why will the Turbo still cock, with the trigger and loading ramp removed, while the 52 Winchester won't?

This goes to the lucky part of how the Turbo's MD-PAS ignition came about....

( By the way, when Flash Ebert designed the Turbo's PAS ignition, he was simply causing form to follow function, and the lucky part was his needing to do this adaptation)

Your friend, BC

Here's the picture....

CYA friends, this thing is so fascinating.....

If you notice, look at the difference in the diameters of the firing pin spring retaining pins, to the right of the firing pins.....the Turbo's is 3/32"...(.094" roughly)..the 52 Winchesters is .125" in diameter.......there's a reason for this increased diameter....

And also, if I could get the TCA action makers to view this thread, it would become obvious that the 12:00 cocking ramp and teat of the TCA's is absolutely unnecessary.......as a matter of fact, that 12:00 ramp and teat are a liability, not an asset....

I've begged for years now for the TCA action makers to eliminate that 12:00 cocking ramp and teat...

Flash did not need that 12:00 ramp and teat, but, it was on the 52 Winchester, so he used it.....

Once again, the history of the Turbo is so fascinating.....

DSC08813%20-%20Copy.jpg

PS: Don't the action look so much neater without that 12:00 cocking ramp and teat.......

This is my 10-X triple lug spearment with Wilkinson hard copy lugs by Brent L....

That top ramp and teat have a function in the 52 Winchester PAS ignition...

But absolutely none in the Turbo MD-PAS ignition........bc

DSC08753%20-%20Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom