Is this thing for real............?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool

CYA friends:

I talked to the Duck Hawk today...

I told him I was going to try to shoot my spearment one more time.....

Cause winter is here from now on...

I told the ole Hawk that I'd take a picture of my target, if I got to shoot this spearment today, and E-Mail it to him..

CYA friends:

I know better than to do this......

But, I'm going to do something stupid and post a still picture of the target I just shot with this spearment.

44 degrees.....but dead calm...

I shot a lot of Lapua that Tom Wilkinson sent me from the Barn.

CYA friends, I re-mounted the Leupold 45 comp....

I then fired the first sighter shot in the upper right bull....that I'm pointing at in the bottom picutre..

The shot hit low/right....so I made a scope adustment...

Then I fired five rounds in the upper right sighter.....

Then I let this spearment eat for the next 19 rounds, which is all I had of that lot of Lapua..

CYA friends, is this thing for real?

Am I in a wonderland, dreaming.....?

Your friend, BC

Is this thing for real....

CYA friends, you can see the trough I've dug in the ground over the years behind my target stand...

I've tested on this same bench for the last 28 years....

BC

DSC08760.jpg

CYA friends:

Is this thing for real?

The target you see has 26 rounds through it.....

The seven sighters, in the upper right sighter bull....

Then the 19 record rounds.

Is this thing for real....or am I dreaming?...bc

Friend Robert Oates:

Thank you once again....

Robert, am I going to wake up tomorrow and find out none of this is real?....bc

Last edited:

CYA friends:

I talked to the Duck Hawk today...

I told him I was going to try to shoot my spearment one more time.....

Cause winter is here from now on...

I told the ole Hawk that I'd take a picture of my target, if I got to shoot this spearment today, and E-Mail it to him..

CYA friends:

I know better than to do this......

But, I'm going to do something stupid and post a still picture of the target I just shot with this spearment.

44 degrees.....but dead calm...

I shot a lot of Lapua that Tom Wilkinson sent me from the Barn.

CYA friends, I re-mounted the Leupold 45 comp....

I then fired the first sighter shot in the upper right bull....that I'm pointing at in the bottom picutre..

The shot hit low/right....so I made a scope adustment...

Then I fired five rounds in the upper right sighter.....

Then I let this spearment eat for the next 19 rounds, which is all I had of that lot of Lapua..

CYA friends, is this thing for real?

Am I in a wonderland, dreaming.....?

Your friend, BC

Is this thing for real....

CYA friends, you can see the trough I've dug in the ground over the years behind my target stand...

I've tested on this same bench for the last 28 years....

BC

DSC08760.jpg

CYA friends:

Is this thing for real?

The target you see has 26 rounds through it.....

The seven sighters, in the upper right sighter bull....

Then the 19 record rounds.

Is this thing for real....or am I dreaming?...bc

Friend Robert Oates:

Thank you once again....

Robert, am I going to wake up tomorrow and find out none of this is real?....bc

Bill,

When you get the chance, can you discuss the rest of the components of the rifle, please?

Thanks!

Greg

Friend 404tbang

Bill,

When you get the chance, can you discuss the rest of the components of the rifle, please?

Thanks!

Greg

Friend 404tbang:

The spearment uses a 10-X triple with Brendt L's Wilkinson, hard copy locking lugs.

I machined the tenon length back to 1.000" like the Turbo......

It uses my slave Jewell trigger, that I've re-sprung, which gives the transfer bar an upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece the same as a B&L..

And the stock is one of Jim Peightal's straight lines in maple and walnut...

The cobbed up sealing job is mine.

I'm not a bedder, but, I got lucky.....there is absolutely no movement between the barrel and stock when I put my indicator on the fore end.

The two action bolts are angle head and purchase on the pillars proper.

It uses a standard HH/MD....

Now, this whole spearment revolved around the barrel.

I've had this Muller, non-trick, 4 MI for several years....

When Dan sent it I was much more interested in Dan's trick 4-MI......and for good reason, they hold the "big" records today....

So the barrel sat for some years..

What changed things, was when John Prince bought Merlin, which uses a Broughton, non-trick, 4 groove...

And then Todd Wooten kicked out a PSL win with it........outside in conditions.

So I was looking for something to spearment with at the PSL/ARA indoor....

And I remembered how well this non-trick Muller 4 had evaluated....

So I reevaluated it, and it has to be one of the finest slugging barrels I've ever evaluated...

So two weeks before the PSL/ARA Indoor I got into a mad rush........which was fun.....and got it ready to go.

One other interesting point:

I chambered it with my 2 degree x .2250" diameter reamer.....

And, the chamber is fully engraved, what I've used for years with Eley.

So obviously one does not need some "special" chamber to be able to shoot Lapua.

A chamber that will shoot Eley, will shoot Lapua equally as well, and vise-versa.....

Way too much misinformation about chambering on some of these internet sites....

Just like there is about MD's and, quote, "tuning"..

I set the MD on this spearment and neither Robert Oates, or I, have moved it since.

Now, a comment for Paul Tolvstad, and, Dan Muller:

Jeff Patterson, or someone, don't remember, told me that Paul will be doing some of the lapping for Dan.

Paul and Dan; I would not be a bit afraid, if I were you guys, to kick out a few of these non-trick, 4-MI's.....

The MI factor is as good as the trick version, plus, having the vertical driving and following sides of the lands does allow one to taper lap, without washing out the breech end of the barrel so much.

Yes, trick barrels "can" be taper lapped without washing out the breech end..

But, vertical sided lands are so much more forgiving.......

Your friend, BC

The five sighter/foulers are also 100's...

So, 24 straight hundreds were fired......

Yes, the five sighters were fired return-to-battery, which is not like moving from bull to bull of course...

And, I don't believe there are as many PSL X's with this lot of Lapua, as with the lot Robert shot at the Barn.

But the thing just works......

This has been a very fun and rewarding spearment....bc

DSC08758.jpg

PSL X's.........

PSL X's.......

CYA friends:

I probably kicked out 13 or 14 PSL X's last evening...

It was 44 degrees, but it went dead calm.

If there's a fly in the ointment with this Muller, non-trick 4-MI it may be wind sensitivity.....

Although, Todd Wooten didn't have any trouble winning a PSL, in the wind, with Merlin's non-trick, 4 groove Broughton.

Your friend, BC

Robert Oates kicked out 17 PSL X's......which is stout, real stout.

DSC08746.jpg

It's kinda hard to judge perfectly, but, it looks like I had 13 or 14 PSL X's last evening..

DSC08755_1.jpg

Friend 404tbang:

The spearment uses a 10-X triple with Brendt L's Wilkinson, hard copy locking lugs.

I machined the tenon length back to 1.000" like the Turbo......

It uses my slave Jewell trigger, that I've re-sprung, which gives the transfer bar an upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece the same as a B&L..

And the stock is one of Jim Peightal's straight lines in maple and walnut...

The cobbed up sealing job is mine.

I'm not a bedder, but, I got lucky.....there is absolutely no movement between the barrel and stock when I put my indicator on the fore end.

The two action bolts are angle head and purchase on the pillars proper.

It uses a standard HH/MD....

Now, this whole spearment revolved around the barrel.

I've had this Muller, non-trick, 4 MI for several years....

When Dan sent it I was much more interested in Dan's trick 4-MI......and for good reason, they hold the "big" records today....

So the barrel sat for some years..

What changed things, was when John Prince bought Merlin, which uses a Broughton, non-trick, 4 groove...

And then Todd Wooten kicked out a PSL win with it........outside in conditions.

So I was looking for something to spearment with at the PSL/ARA indoor....

And I remembered how well this non-trick Muller 4 had evaluated....

So I reevaluated it, and it has to be one of the finest slugging barrels I've ever evaluated...

So two weeks before the PSL/ARA Indoor I got into a mad rush........which was fun.....and got it ready to go.

One other interesting point:

I chambered it with my 2 degree x .2250" diameter reamer.....

And, the chamber is fully engraved, what I've used for years with Eley.

So obviously one does not need some "special" chamber to be able to shoot Lapua.

A chamber that will shoot Eley, will shoot Lapua equally as well, and vise-versa.....

Way too much misinformation about chambering on some of these internet sites....

Just like there is about MD's and, quote, "tuning"..

I set the MD on this spearment and neither Robert Oates, or I, have moved it since.

Now, a comment for Paul Tolvstad, and, Dan Muller:

Jeff Patterson, or someone, don't remember, told me that Paul will be doing some of the lapping for Dan.

Paul and Dan; I would not be a bit afraid, if I were you guys, to kick out a few of these non-trick, 4-MI's.....

The MI factor is as good as the trick version, plus, having the vertical driving and following sides of the lands does allow one to taper lap, without washing out the breech end of the barrel so much.

Yes, trick barrels "can" be taper lapped without washing out the breech end..

But, vertical sided lands are so much more forgiving.......

Your friend, BC

The five sighter/foulers are also 100's...

So, 24 straight hundreds were fired......

Yes, the five sighters were fired return-to-battery, which is not like moving from bull to bull of course...

And, I don't believe there are as many PSL X's with this lot of Lapua, as with the lot Robert shot at the Barn.

But the thing just works......

This has been a very fun and rewarding spearment....bc

DSC08758.jpg

Thanks Bill!

Take care,

Greg

Friend 404tbang

Thanks Bill!

Take care,

Greg

Friend 404tbang:

I didn't get to play with my spearment last evening....

It was about 50 degrees but windy.....and almost dark....

So I decided not to put any more rounds through this amazing Muller than I have to.

Although, I've still got to play with it some more......

Looks like maybe this Sunday, Monday or Tuesday might work out......temps supposed to be in the 50's...

One of the factors that's making this spearment so killer, is the Jim Peightal stock, which I got lucky with a perfect bedding job on.

This thing pops when I shoot it in my bucket......no vibrations.....

One thing I plan on doing, is to screw this Muller in my Turbo slave.....

It won't be a foolproof way to determine the actual quality of this Muller, but, depending on how it shoots in my slave Turbo, I will be able to ascertain, to some degree, how much this fine Preightal straight line is contributing to its amazing accuracy.

When I threaded this fine Muller, I made sure it would thread into my slave Turbo....

And since I've cut the barrel tenon length in this 10-X triple to 1.000" Turbo length, the headspace interchanges, within about a half thousandth.

I'm going to try to limit the number of rounds I put through this Muller to a brick and a half.

Your friend, BC

Friend 404tbang:

I didn't get to play with my spearment last evening....

It was about 50 degrees but windy.....and almost dark....

So I decided not to put any more rounds through this amazing Muller than I have to.

Although, I've still got to play with it some more......

Looks like maybe this Sunday, Monday or Tuesday might work out......temps supposed to be in the 50's...

One of the factors that's making this spearment so killer, is the Jim Peightal stock, which I got lucky with a perfect bedding job on.

This thing pops when I shoot it in my bucket......no vibrations.....

One thing I plan on doing, is to screw this Muller in my Turbo slave.....

It won't be a foolproof way to determine the actual quality of this Muller, but, depending on how it shoots in my slave Turbo, I will be able to ascertain, to some degree, how much this fine Preightal straight line is contributing to its amazing accuracy.

When I threaded this fine Muller, I made sure it would thread into my slave Turbo....

And since I've cut the barrel tenon length in this 10-X triple to 1.000" Turbo length, the headspace interchanges, within about a half thousandth.

I'm going to try to limit the number of rounds I put through this Muller to a brick and a half.

Your friend, BC

Now, Bill, I understand you want to "try" to limit the number of rounds put through that barrel, but I sorta think curiosity will spur you to discover all you can about the accuracy of the contraption regardless of the number of rounds fired. You don't want to leave anything undiscovered. You won't wear the barrel out by shooting enough to learn all you can.

Post what you find when you can, please.

Take care,

Greg

Friend 404tbang

Now, Bill, I understand you want to "try" to limit the number of rounds put through that barrel, but I sorta think curiosity will spur you to discover all you can about the accuracy of the contraption regardless of the number of rounds fired. You don't want to leave anything undiscovered. You won't wear the barrel out by shooting enough to learn all you can.

Post what you find when you can, please.

Take care,

Greg

Friend 404tbang:

You're right......but, I'm still going to limit the number of rounds I put through this killer Muller....

But keep in mind, when I shoot it I have to clean it.....and cleaning the bore is like an accident waiting to happen.....one can do it right 100 times, but one slip, and a killer is ruined.....I've ruined two double bad killers myself...

I've not been as cited about a spearment in a long time....

Today the temp is supposed to be in the upper 40's....

It's overcast, and bad windy as I type this....

And I want to shoot some before dark, if, the wind lays...

But I'll not be shooting this killer 26 inch Muller....

A story:

A while back I was working on an "old school", .825" diameter four groove, that I lapped from scratch..

My hope is to put it on my left hand Turbo and make it a competitive RFBR rifle.

So I fit it to my left hand Turbo, but also made sure it fits the 10-X triple on my spearment, that I sent to the Barn.

Now, we'll fade back to the last ARA match at Livonia:

I had tested this old school four groove in my #1 slave stock.....which is a universal stock I test several different action with.

And it killed it....

So since Livonia was coming up, I asked Shannon Hollen if he'd test it.....and he said yes...

I didn't want Shannon to have to deal with my ole #1 Slave stock, and he wouldn't have wanted to shoot my left bolt, right port Turbo, which the barrel was fit for....

So, I took one of those super light centerfire stocks, non straight lined, got a right bolt TCA roughly fit into it, put this old school four groove on the action, and had Shannon shoot this configuration......which was a big mistake...

I did not give Shannon a chance to do this old school 4-groove justice at Livonia..

He brought me his targets, and you could tell the thing was wanting to kill it, but, that super light centerfire stock vibrated terribly.........I could tap the MD and that thing would hum for 10 seconds vibrating...

Now I have this beautiful Jim Peightal straight line, for my spearment, perfectly bedded, and proven, and today I fit this old school, 825" four groove to the spearment's 10-X triple....

Which headspaces within a half thousandth of my left bolt Turbo...

So if the wind lays, I intend to test some late this afternoon.......

And now I'm going to see how good this old school 4-groove really is.......cause I've now got it in a proven Class A stock.

The all walnut Pippin that my left bolt Turbo is in, still must be skim coated......

So, I'm going to have this old school 4-groove in the best testing set-up it's been in to date, by far...

And it killed it in my ole #1 slave stock....

So I'm kinda cited.......

Oh, and I'm going to be able to shoot some Lapua in it too, which I've not done before.......

I've got my fingers crossed that the wind lays.....cause the next three days are going to be cold...

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom