A ray of sunshine

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
A ray of sunshine

CYA friends
:

Well, I just saw a little ray of sunshine on the advancement of rimfire accuracy.

I've previously stated that the two bright spots today in the advancement of rimfire accuracy are the Wilkinson version of the Shilen ratchet and Dan Muller's Accu-Twist barrels.

A while back a friend asked if I'd evaluate one of the Muller, 4-MI Accu-Twist barrels for him.....of course I said yes.

I just completed the evaluation.

First of all, I think I understand the process Dan uses with these Accu-Twist barrels...

I for sure may be wrong, but, on this particular blank I believe I can see a remnant of the initial procedure Dan uses, before buttoning.

Anyway, I catch the groove diameter at the muzzle end at .2216", and extremely uniform groove to groove.

Now here's what I like best about this blank...(Oh yes, of course I love the uniform groove diameters)

I marked the location for the crown, about 7/8" back from the end of the blank...

Now here's the neat part...

The owner of this fine Muller can cut it at any legal length he wishes, and the chamber will be at the perfect location.

The crown must go as marked...

But this fine blank can be cut to any length, then chambered......and it will produce it's best.

About the Accu-Twist factor of this blank:

I have no way of determining uniformity of twist rate....

One other thing.....no, it is not washed out in the breech.

A bright ray of sunshine........

Your friend, BC

PS:

This friend also sent me one of the FF triggers to look at.......it's absolutely perfect.....bc

A ray of sunshine in the advancement of rimfire accuracy.....bc

DSC08732.jpg

Last edited:
Friend wsmallwood

Bill,

Sounds like you're delivering holiday good cheer.

Happy Thanksgiving.

WS

Friend wsmallwood:

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, and to our friends here at CYA.

This Muller 4-MI that I just evaluated for a friend of mine IS a ray of sunshine in the advancement of rimfire accuracy world.

When I lap a barrel, I try to achieve exactly the taper this fine Muller has....

When a bore is tapered as this one is, yes, there is a correct place to cut the crown, but, the taper is so perfect that the chamber can be cut at any length one wants behind the crown....

If one wanted to make a 6 inch pistol barrel, it would work perfect.

I believe my friend is going to be well pleased.

Wally, if I had ten barrels like this one, I'd be tempted to get me an extra bottle of Geritol, and put a new rubber tip on my ole walking stick, then get myself to the ole shop and start kicking it again.

But them days are pretty well gone.........

Your friend, BC

Back
Top Bottom