Is there magic in 27 inches?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Is there magic in 27 inches?

CYA friends:

A lot has happened in the advancement of rimfire accuracy during the past few days.

I'm still flummoxed about that .2225" groove diameter kicking out those groups.....especially that 110 yard stiff....mind blowing.

There's a sub plot to this story.....

That Muller, Accu-Twist 4-MI is 27 1/4 inches long.....by .900".

With 2,000, plus, attempts in the short history of the PSL, there's only been one score of 12,000.....( 12,050)

And that was kicked out by a 27 1/4" by .900" barrel.......another Muller 4-MI, although not the Accu-Twist version, of course.

So, is there magic in 27 inches?

Oh, I need to add something to the 6.88mm story kicked out by that .2225" groove diameter Muller:

The gun was tested, not by removing the action and clamping it, but by clamping the stock in the vise.

The owner did not want just the barreled action only tested....( I don't blame him, I would not allow that to be done either)

So the Lapua test facility clamped the stock in the vise.

This worked beautifully, as the stock is one of the Killough, full-fill straight lines, which are marble hard.

For the longest time I've firmly believed, that there is an advantage to long barrels in rimfire accuracy work.

So much to ponder.

Your friend, BC

DSC08719.jpg

Last edited:
I've tested in two Germany ranges and both just offered action clamping systems.

I do believe that for our purpose, even clamping the stock is not the ideal solution, a one rest setup should be!

One know Spaniard gunsmith, developed one fixture similar to the one rest setup to be bolted on the ranges vice. But it takes advantage of metal stocks like the ones for ISSF.

I'm too developing a similar system, but for wood stocks used on BR, and would like to discuss the possibility of using it on those vices test ranges...

Friend PedroS

I've tested in two Germany ranges and both just offered action clamping systems.

I do believe that for our purpose, even clamping the stock is not the ideal solution, a one rest setup should be!

One know Spaniard gunsmith, developed one fixture similar to the one rest setup to be bolted on the ranges vice. But it takes advantage of metal stocks like the ones for ISSF.

I'm too developing a similar system, but for wood stocks used on BR, and would like to discuss the possibility of using it on those vices test ranges...

Friend PedroS
:

Removing the barreled action and clamping it in a test fixture probably works fine for smallbore position shooter's needs.

But in the world of RFBR I'm not sure it works.

The gentleman who tested at the Lapua facility, and kicked out that 6.88mm, could not have done that if the stock hadn't been clamped in the test fixture..

One of the very best examples of requiring the stock for testing happened to Paul Tolvstad.

Paul sent a rifle to have tested, the stock was removed and the action clamped in the fixture.

The rifle shot nothing but huge verticals.....

Paul called me worried to death......

By the way, it was a new build and Paul had already shot it, and it simply drilled before he sent it to the test facility.....

Anyway, I advised Paul to have the test facility put the barreled action back in the stock where it belonged, and test it that way.

The test facility did as directed and the rifle went back to drilling once again.

I have never personally known of a RFBR shooter, who had a rifle tested at a facility by having the action clamped, that came away with ammo that allowed them to win a Big National.

My first personal experience with a test facility was with Rick Shouse.

Rick had his rifle tested, found a lot that was simply amazing, bought a bunch, I even bought a half case.

Once Rick got out in the real world, that test facility lot simply was not competitive.....

And I couldn't make the half case I bought work either...

By the way, Rick went on to win the ARA NATIONAL that year.......but he used some black box that he had tested himself.

Clamping the action for position shooters, probably fine, but for RFBR accuracy requirements, not so good I'm afraid.

Your friend, BC

Rick won the ARA NATIONAL that year with a lot of black he had tested himself...

DSC08720.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom