Why is attendance at IR-50's Big Nationals dying, while ARA's is prospering?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Why is attendance at IR-50's Big Nationals dying, while ARA's is prospering?

CYA friends:

The attendance at ARA's Big Nationals is still strong......after all these years.

Then why is attendance at IR-50's Big Nationals dying?

There is a reason.

And what's fascinating, everyone in the sport of Big Time RFBR knows exactly why.

Your friend, BC

Why is IR-50's Big National attendance is dying?

CYA friends:

The attendance at ARA's Big Nationals is still strong......after all these years.

Then why is attendance at IR-50's Big Nationals dying?

There is a reason.

And what's fascinating, everyone in the sport of Big Time RFBR knows exactly why.

Your friend, BC

Why is IR-50's Big National attendance dying?

CYA friends:

Isn't it simply fascinating, to watch the "few" defenders of the "status quo" of IR-50, post their make believe reasons, they've come up with, in their defense as to why IR-50's Big National attendance is only about a third of ARA's Big National attendance.

This small number of IR-50 defenders, would as soon that IR-50 die, rather than for them to assist in making the change necessary for IR-50 to increase its attendance at its Big Nationals.....

IR-50 is either going to change their scoring rules, which the advancement of rimfire accuracy outdated years ago, or, IR-50's Big National attendance will continue to decline......

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

CYA friends:

Isn't it fascinating how us human beings would rather watch an organization die, rather than to make a change?

bc

Last edited:
Bill,

I've not seen what others have given as a reason for the decline of IR 50/50 but I can tell you the reasons I've heard.

1. Scoring - If you shoot a 249 at a big match you're out no matter what you really shoot.
2. Rules and Protestes - Too many rules and too many added and too many protests even on others targets. To those who shoot it, however, it seems to be a big part of the game.
3. Guns - Some people don't want to fool with the whole two gun -three gun, weights etc. Just shoot what you have (Back to too many rules)
4. I'm not going to say but it seems to be a big issue.

The whole scoring thing is magnified because of the small rings. The same issue exists in ARA. You could take the dot out everytime and then barely miss a 100 and get a 2450 while somebody could shoot 25 shots 1 mm inside the 100 ring and they win. PSL is probably more pure but to some degree the problem exists there as well.

First we had BR-50 as the RFBR game that took off. First tends to last and ARA is built on BR-50. There's little difference. Then we had IR 50/50 and from that RBA. I made a post years ago that one would go soon and the another would die a slow lingering death and neither would be ARA. Of course, ARA most likely will eventually be a thing of the past as well. People move on.

Right now I think ARA is fairly safe for a few years. ABRA is a different game and seems to be safe and may be the only one actually experiencing growth.

Somebody said the average age of the person shooting RFBR is about 55. I would have said slightly older but there are some very young people to bring the average down. At 32 I started shooting RFBR and was pretty much they youngest person at every match unless someone brought a junior shooter. I gradually gathered equipment over the years and I'll probably stay with ARA as long as I can. But at 55 I probably would not have gotten into to it because of the capital outlay. People at that age usually have the resources but are sometimes more reluctant to use them. And there's no way I would have plinked for years and then paid in excess of $15/box for ammo. That would just have seemed crazy.

IR 50/50 will go the way of the dodo soon. Nothing you can do.

Last edited:
Bill,

I've not seen what others have given as a reason for the decline of IR 50/50 but I can tell you the reasons I've heard.

1. Scoring - If you shoot a 249 at a big match you're out no matter what you really shoot.

IR 50/50 will go the way of the dodo soon. Nothing you can do.

Friend wsmallwood

Wally;

The only reason I've personally ever heard from folks who would like to try IR-50, is your #1 reason.

Folks still travel to ARA's Big Nationals, with the same expense problems....

So traveling expense isn't the reason IR-50's Big Nationals only draw about a third of ARA's Big National attendance.

Wally, if IR-50 folded today, it wouldn't alter my life in any way...

The most respected RFBR shooter in the world is Tony Harper.

Tony shoots all disciplines......IR-50, ARA and PSL....and has won multiple National Championships in each.

There's no one with a better knowledge as to the problem of the lack of attendance at IR-50's Big Nationals, than Tony Harper.

Tony is trying, against all odds, to help increase IR-50's Big National attendance.

He asked me to assist.....and there's no way I could ever turn down a request, of this nature, from Tony Harper.

Unless IR-50 addresses their outdated scoring, their Big National attendance will continue to be about a third of ARA's.

Here's a suggestion for the owner of IR-50, Mr. Wayne Wills:

What about allowing clubs the "option" of holding Unlimited 275 matches?

No club would be forced to do this......strictly an option.

In other words, give shooters a chance to experience IR-50, Unlimited 275.

Leave 3-Gun and current Unlimited scoring as is.

Mr. Wills, there's a ready made pool of over 600 ARA/PSL shooters at your disposal.....

I wouldn't let that pool of potential IR-50 shooters go to waste, if it were me.

Your friend, BC

Mr. Wills

Mr. Wills

Mr. Wills:

There's a ready made pool of over 600 ARA/PSL shooters at your disposal.....

I wouldn't let that pool of potential IR-50 shooters go to waste, if it were me.

Because my friend, what you're doing now isn't working like it did when IR-50 first started, and the accuracy level was nothing like it is today.

The accuracy level today, has outdistanced the original scoring.

It's up to you Mr. Wills....

You can either make the necessary changes, or, IR-50's Big National attendance will continue to decline...

It's your choice.

I'd hate to come back on here a year from now, with your Big National attendance still in decline.......

Because you failed to make the necessary change to stop it..

Your friend, BC

PS:

Mr. Wills, you can either make the change to make IR-50 prosper, like it did years ago...

Or you can keep doing the same, and watch it completely wither.....bc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom