What all the hollering is about...

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
What all the hollering is about...

CYA friends:

A friend sent me a couple of Lapua lots to try.......he says they are good, but they're 3rd and 4th best that he and his buddy have.

If these are only 3rd and 4th best, my system couldn't take shooting the first and second best they have....

This is what all the hollering is about.

Where this ammo thing is going, I don't know.......I guess no one does....

(and by the way, I shot these in a full on, Eley Chamber)

Your friend, Bill Calfee

DSC08703.jpg

Friend Timo

Bill!

Now I am smiling here. Look the number behind the virgule. Think Six !!

BR, Timo

Friend Timo:

I know nothing about Lapua lot numbers.....nor RWS.

I do know this:

I wish I had five boxes of either of these two lots for Shannon to shoot at Livonia....

And, if I had a choice, one of these two lots betters the other in the outfit I'm fixing for Shannon to shoot...

And I'm not going to say which.....of course...

The mind blowing part is this:

My two friends have two lots that are better.............

The CYankees simply got "out ammo-ed" last week in St Louis.....and it saddens me to say that, because I bleed Eley Red.

Timo, the two biggest takeaways from St Louis are AMMO, and MERLIN.....

Have you ever, in all your days, seen so many folks flummoxed by MERLIN?

It beats anything I've seen in years.

Your friend, BC

You know, I don't know what to say at this point about ammo...

DSC08703.jpg

Timo, I've never seen so many folks totally captivated by anything in my life, like they are with "MERLIN",

Todd Wooten, and MERLIN, have shaken the world of rimfire accuracy advancement, like nothing else has in a decade...or longer.

DSC02450%20-%20Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Friend Timo:

I know nothing about Lapua lot numbers.

Your friend, BC

But we're learning if all the hyperbole is to be believed. Won't be long. Only two numbers to decode. Could provide some big answers. Could provide some we don't want to hear. If the think six is true here, there are at least five more. All I've seen is six that causes a stir. Set the hook then pull them in. Then again if they can make the first five as good as six...............................

Number behind the virgule tells machine number.Few of my friends find very good XAct made by this machine.Thats why I wrote "Think Six".

My best have been from 5.

Another one I cant say is it true or not,but said to me many times (I shoot to chrono mostly my self loaded 22 LR ammo):

Take 2 numbers from left,put 3 before those and you got speed of test barrel.

On Bills picture they are 328 m/s and 329 m/s.(1076 and 1079 feet/s).

But as I said about this speed case, I am not sure of that!!!!

And if it is true those tells only speed from test barrels and is directional.

Better believe only to the targets.

BR, Timo

TIMO

Number behind the virgule tells machine number.Few of my friends find very good XAct made by this machine.Thats why I wrote "Think Six".

Another one I cant say is it true or not,but said to me many times (I shoot to chrono mostly my self loaded 22 LR ammo):

BR, Timo

Timo, you are correct put 3 before the first 2 numbers to get the speed. Also only 5 machines and 5 and 6 load center x , midas and xact the others for sk and wolf. Lots from both machines have been good I had some of one of these lots but it was not close to my best lots. Lapua has had great ammo in the past couple of years just seem to have more good lots now. Also Mr Bill is exactly right about the working length my eley has been as much as 17 thousandths from long to short with lapua usually running within 4 to 5 . I am of the opinion that lube quality varies a lot on the eley as well Thanks to all of you for the wealth of info on here , it sure does help a rookie shooter like me.

BR, Timo

I've heard the velocity calculation story enough to assume that it is at least viable, but I don't think you can rely on it except just for general purposes. Just to give an example,, and these numbers are not exact or intended to be, 328 should be about 1076 and essentially every number up or down is going to change the velocity by about three feet per second. With a chronograph and a 25 inch barrel, it doesn't work that way. It's about 18 feet per second slower than the calculation at least what I've tested. Of course, various things can affect that including weather, altitude, etc. But studies have shown consistently that the .22LR, regardless of load, achieves max velocity in about 16 inches and slows from there. The deceleration depends on the ammo but is seems to be be about 5 fps per inch on average for match ammo. Based on that and the consistently repeated velocity calculation, I'm wondering if Lapua is using about 20-21" test barrels. It certainly seems reasonable.

Of course, it makes no difference as long as the ammo is good, but my rifles will not shoot slow Eley well. They seem to do okay with slow Lapua. Go figure.

Xact,CenterX and Midas + has normally shooted from 660 mm (26") test barrels. Pistol King & OSP from 120/150 mm barrels (4,72 " and 5,90 ").

I change m/s to feet/s using 1 feet = 12 inches = 0,3048 m. 328 m/s / 0,3048 m = 1076 feet/s.

We must remember that also chronos are giving differents. Light is one issue,burnless powder second,muzzle pressure third.

I keep 10 feet distance from the muzzle to chrono. If chrono is very near, issues are "muzzle pressure" and burnless powder. I use vacuun cleaner between 10 shots to photoelectric cells.

If like to get good (trust) data,it is better to put 2 chrono to row and shoot through those.

BR, Timo

Timo, you are right about all those chrono issues... and never had two with the same reading...

Can LabRadar be the solution? Have you tried it?

Maybe wrongly, but i have quit measuring velocity, as it doesn't correlate well with groups... or am I missing something?

I dont have Lab Radar. Heard rumor that it is not ready to small bullets? Waiting facts is it making its job surely.

I am very intrested of this "ammo from hell".

You can find ammo lot which lenght is good for your chamber and have 6 m/s speed variation (20 feet/s) and it should be good lot.

Then you have lot where speed variation is <4 m/s (<13 feet/s) and it shoot not so good.

Somebody wins from lottery and get lot where both are exact.Normally on the season they are called winners-:).

Many issues on small ammo_One thing we must remember that priming mass is explosion material and powder is burning material.

My friends PTK ( R.I.P) and Juha try to give answer a long ago.This monoblock powder gives poosibility to stop discussion of 12 oclock or 6 oclock...Can hit also to center...

BR, Timo

Subsonic.jpg

I like the named "ammo from hell"

And in fact we are totally dependent on it, no control whatsoever...

We are always in a roulette, because even if they pick enough ammo to test and make it significative to a certain lot, it's just a probability. You will be only 100% sure after firing the ammo. And then, you can anymore recall it...

That's the hardest thing to me towards Eley. Somewhere, somehow, you'll have that bullet that won't fire like the others...
Can give you an example. Two years ago, with a selected lot, and during our I OPEN, I was shooting the second row when I shot a bullet that made a "pff". Looked out for the hit and can't find it anywhere in the aimed target... Gosh, where is it? Start to look everywhere, and... there it was... a four in the fifth row.
Since, my quest is, how can we get rid of it.

I think we never will.

Timo, you are right about all those chrono issues... and never had two with the same reading...

Can LabRadar be the solution? Have you tried it?

Maybe wrongly, but i have quit measuring velocity, as it doesn't correlate well with groups... or am I missing something?

I don't think it correlates well with groups and I think most of the people who do measure it would agree. I can use a chrono but don't really need one to know that I'm shooting slower ammo. Anybody can covert meters/sec to ft/sec. Not exactly a high level calculation and if someone finds themselves hindered google will do it for you.

So, we can assume the story of how to calculate Lapua velocity to be true, but apply some critical thinking. If 27 correlates to 327 meters/sec then 26 is going to be approximately 3 fps slower. Not exact but close enough. Now from what I've seen of Lapua they do not fractionalize between lots. So 27 could be 326.51 to 327.5 or about 3 fps difference. Personally I don't care as long as it shoots well but care enough to be curious. What I've seen is about a 15 to 18 fps slower actual than what the theoretical calculation would be.

Back
Top Bottom