Friend Paul Tolvstad

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Friend Paul Tolvstad

Friend Paul Tolvstad:

Paul, I've been playing today....

Next week may be the last Livonia match in history.....I hope not, but?

Anyway, I've been playing today, trying to get something ready for Shannon to shoot..

But, I want everything about it to be "old school"...

I've got the little .825" old school barrel re-fit to one of my triple slaves...

But, I've put in an old school, non straight lined stock....

Paul, in other words, I'm putting something together for Shannon to shoot, that is "old school"

And by the way, Shannon has not tested a build for me in years...

So Shannon' may be "old school" too...............cough cough.......(Shannon ain't never old school, even after years of not shooting)

Anyway Paul:

I'm sure there's none left, but.........

If you have a brick of black, 1117-06081, at 1057 left, I want it....

I want it for Shannon to shoot at Livonia.....provided all goes well...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Paul, by the way, if there's any left, I need it by Wednesday, next week, so Shannon will have time to fool with it...bc

Last edited:
Friend PT

Did the ammo get there today ?

Friend PT:

No, but the match isn't till Saturday......so there's time.

I've probably put Shannon under the gun too much...

I've went about as "old School" as possible.....

I even mounted the scope with traditional rings across the loading port.......which is something I've not done in years..

Plus, I'm using a super light, hollow, centerfire stock, non-straight line of course, by CFBR rules.

And the barrel is a little .825", traditional rifled....

And will be shot off my old two piece rest.....

By the way, it does have a 36 power scope......Shannon called and told me it better not have one of my old Lyman AA's on it, or he wouldn't shoot it...

Oh, and there are no extractor slots......so I told Shannon to make sure he doesn't cut his fingernails.....

I told Shannon to shoot it some, then if he thought he could be even semi-competitive at Livonia, fine.....if not, for him to bring it back.

Paul, it was like old times, with Shannon getting ready to do some testing for me, maybe for the last time ever, at Livonia...

So I suspect if the thing will do anything, Shannon will try to shoot it....

By the way, Jeff Patterson brought out a Dan Muller 4-MI for me to evaluate, today......he had already evaluated it, but wanted my opinion.

Paul, it is without question the most beautiful 4-MI I've ever evaluated, or any other barrel for that matter.

It has an absolute perfect taper breech to muzzle......

There are no incorrect places to put the chamber and crown in this blank....

One could make this barrel any length desired, and the crown and muzzle would be at the perfect locations.

Even with this perfect taper throughout, the breech end is not washed out any....

As a matter of fact, even I, who's evaluated hundreds of barrels over the years, could not distinguish the breech end of the bore from the muzzle end.........looking through a loupe...

An unlapped 4-MI has a unique land signature......

The driving and following sides of the lands form a parabola shape, culminating with a slight flat on the land tops.

On both the breech end and muzzle end, that land signature is still present......

YET, the bore has a perfect taper from breech to muzzle.

This is without question, the finest taper lapped barrel I've ever evaluated in my entire career.

It probably won't shoot in a bucket.......cough cough...

Paul, if there are no uniformity of twist issues with this MI, and Jeff gets the chamber and leade finishing perfect, which he will, this thing will be a "Raging Inferno" class barrel.

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Friend TE

Mr. calfee, did the pistol get shot last night? Todd

Friend TE:

#14 didn't get shot, but, Mark Meadows did shoot his pistol and finished 4th out of eleven shooters......plus, he kicked out a 2350 on his last card.

Mark hasn't shot in a long time......so that was simply amazing...

Mary Stark couldn't make the match with her pistol....

If Mark and Big Dog shot their pistols on a regular basis, they'd run with anyone, anywhere.

Jeff Patterson won with Big Dog a close second and Cliff Arnold a strong 3rd....

Last night might have been the last match at Livonia..........

Let's hope not......

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom