The $1,000 barrel

If you get a really good "killer" barrel, it will maintain it's "gilt edge" accuracy around 30,000 rounds most of the time and retain excellent accuracy long after that assuming it is not abused. But let's consider that 30,000 rounds.

A case of ammo is 5000 rounds, my math tells me that 30,000 rounds is six cases or 600 boxes. On average that ammo will cost about $15/box or $9,000 for the projected life.

A premium barrel will cost an individual about $360 and can be had for about $300 if someone buys in bulk and sells for a small margin.

Let's face it. Getting a good barrel right now is a crap shoot. I suspect in most brands there will be more "ho hum" barrels than "hummer" barrels. So, we now see people trying barrels like ammo. Try a bunch until you find one good. That will work if you can chamber well or have someone who can but it's expensive.

So, we don't mind spending $9,000 for ammo over the expected life of the barrel (that's a crap shoot too, but a different subject), why would we expect to get by with a $300 barrel?

Unlapped barrels are the best bet if someone knows how to lap them and will do it. I've never lapped a barrel but from what I hear it's not fun. Anyway that tells us that most barrel blanks are probably okay, nothing special, but has potential before lapping. Lapping either ruins them or makes them "killer".

So what if someone made a barrel, took all the pains to make sure it's always "killer" and put a price tag of a $1,000 on it. Would it sell? I think yes. Slowly at first but if the barrel maker proved the barrel was what it was stacked up to be, I don't think you could get enough.

$1000 Barrel

If you get a really good "killer" barrel, it will maintain it's "gilt edge" accuracy around 30,000 rounds most of the time and retain excellent accuracy long after that assuming it is not abused. But let's consider that 30,000 rounds.

A case of ammo is 5000 rounds, my math tells me that 30,000 rounds is six cases or 600 boxes. On average that ammo will cost about $15/box or $9,000 for the projected life.

A premium barrel will cost an individual about $360 and can be had for about $300 if someone buys in bulk and sells for a small margin.

Let's face it. Getting a good barrel right now is a crap shoot. I suspect in most brands there will be more "ho hum" barrels than "hummer" barrels. So, we now see people trying barrels like ammo. Try a bunch until you find one good. That will work if you can chamber well or have someone who can but it's expensive.

So, we don't mind spending $9,000 for ammo over the expected life of the barrel (that's a crap shoot too, but a different subject), why would we expect to get by with a $300 barrel?

Unlapped barrels are the best bet if someone knows how to lap them and will do it. I've never lapped a barrel but from what I hear it's not fun. Anyway that tells us that most barrel blanks are probably okay, nothing special, but has potential before lapping. Lapping either ruins them or makes them "killer".

So what if someone made a barrel, took all the pains to make sure it's always "killer" and put a price tag of a $1,000 on it. Would it sell? I think yes. Slowly at first but if the barrel maker proved the barrel was what it was stacked up to be, I don't think you could get enough.

Interesting observations Wally, I agree.....think a $1000.00 barrel would sell. Especially for a premium barrel that was already lap properly!
I might even pay more for a barrel if someone just acted half as interested as I am......and would return your call!

Back
Top Bottom