The best bungee cord is your shoulder

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
The best bungee cord is your shoulder

CYA friends
:

I was talking with Todd Wooten after the triple crown.....

He had taken Merlin and kicked out some great numbers, the first time he ever fired the gun....

And while taking with Todd I discovered something about him......he's a very quick study.

He advised me he needed to "hold" Merlin........

CYA friends, after Todd said Merlin needed to be held, I said to myself, "YES"!

See, the best bungee cord in the world is your shoulder......

A couple of points.....

The two absolute baddest RFBR guns I ever built required them to be held.........and they were so bad..

But, I could not get either of the owners of these killers to shoulder them....

One of them still turned out pretty good......the other really never shined......which was such a shame.

2nd point....

Two of the baddest RFBR shooters ever, Harry Deneen and Jerry Graves, shouldered their guns...

Jerry looked like a bear crouched down over that 40-X with it sucked into his shoulder....

And Harry had his left hand grabbing the fore end of the stock and the front rest at the same time, all while that ole Suhl was sucked into his shoulder...hard.

One other point.......I've built a small number of small bore position guns in my career......some were quite successful, Tarl Kempley as an example.

But, none of those position shooters would test ammo from the bench.....none.....

And now Todd Wooten's discovered one of Merlin's secrets.....

Finally, I don't know whether Merlin will be shot, or not, at the Muller PSL Saturday......I've not talked to either John or Todd.

But if they do, it'll be interesting to watch that little underdog, old school rifled, .825" perform.....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

One of the two killers I talked about above, that needed to be held, used this same model stock that's on Merlin...

The best bungee cord in the world is your shoulder.

DSC02393_2.jpg

I didn't use this stock on Merlin cause I thought it was pretty......I used it cause it worked.

Last edited:
A quick study...

Here's a quote from my original post on this thread:

"I was talking with Todd Wooten after the triple crown.....

He had taken Merlin and kicked out some great numbers, the first time he ever fired the gun....

And while taking with Todd I discovered something about him......he's a very quick study.

He advised me he needed to "hold" Merlin........"

CYA friends:

Man, what a PSL.........

Todd Wooten, and his quick study ability, along with his tenacious shooting, demonstrated a little "old school" to the world of rimfire accuracy advancement by winning the Muller Works Summer Showdown PSL with that little, "old school" .825", non-trick, Broughton 4-groove.

CYA friends, I talked about Merlin, John Prince and Todd Wooten, and the upcoming Muller Works PSL, here on CYA for two weeks before the actual event Saturday....

And yes, all of my talk did put pressure on those two guys.....I fully knew that when I was doing it...

BUT, after talking to Todd after the triple crown, and his very "quick study" of realizing Merlin's idiosyncrasies, my gut told me right then, that that man was determined to win the Muller Works PSL......(provided he was able to shoot Merlin, which, with a friend like John Prince, Merlin's owner, was not a problem)

There's no question but that John and Todd felt the pressure I put on them by discussing them and Merlin so much for two weeks prior to the PSL..

But CYA friends, after that talk with Todd after the triple crown, I knew they weren't going to get that PSL Minuteman trophy from him .....

Todd simply wasn't going to let them have it.....

That Minuteman trophy was his......and I know Todd knew it........and he just wasn't going to be denied.....that's all there is to it.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

DSC02393_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom