Ready for bluing

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Ready for bluing

CYA friends:

These pistols are fascinating......

Working on #14 has been like the good ole days........

Anyway, I said I'd post some pictures of my stiffening linkage after I got the parts ready for bluing...

I'm tempted to head to the range......

When I go to the range with one of these pistols I don't take a round more than I intend to shoot.....cause I'll sit there and shoot every round I have with me.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

DSC08585.jpg

DSC08582.jpg

DSC08581.jpg

DSC08580.jpg

Friend TH

Looks good. The allen heads does make it look cool. Todd

Friend TH:

Thank you...

Now for the bluing.

The main thing is, the brace really does stiffen this particular stock.

Now, I've got the rest of the cosmetics to finish......GRADE II jeweling, preparing and re-painting the stock, and I've not drilled and tapped the third hole in the front receiver ring for my one piece scope base, yet.

Now, something I'm pondering:

Double shoeing the trigger.....

See, the trigger shoe is a fulcrum lever......the further you can get away from the pivot pin of the shoe, the lighter is the pull.

What I'm pondering, is to add a second shoe, with this second shoe attached only at the extreme bottom of the normal shoe.

So, when this second shoe is pressed, pulled, the actual pressure applied, is at the very longest point of the normal shoe itself.

At the longest fulcrum point of the normal shoe.

Back years ago, for 52 Winchesters Models A and B, which had terrible triggers, especially for benchrest shooting, I made an extension that was clipped neatly to the normal trigger shoe, but hung down and around the trigger guard about an inch.......

Then the shooter pulled this extension, which greatly lightened the trigger pull of these A's and B's.....

The device was only clipped on the trigger at the bench, then removed when the target was complete......since it was not protected by the trigger guard.

But it really worked......

So I'm pondering doing something similar to #14, although this double shoe will still be protected by the guard...

The one hang-up is, I have very long fingers, so placing the shoe forward would be no problem for me, but for someone with shorter fingers, it may be an issue, since the hand is gripping the pistol grip too.....

So I'm still studying...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Friend Bill,

I have been following the threads on your pistol work here and really enjoying the pictures and ideas shared. It sounds like you've had the opportunity to some shooting. The question I have is has the braced bipod made a noticible difference in the accuracy of the pistol?

An Interested Friend,

Steve

Friend AZ_Speed

Friend Bill,

I have been following the threads on your pistol work here and really enjoying the pictures and ideas shared. It sounds like you've had the opportunity to some shooting. The question I have is has the braced bipod made a noticible difference in the accuracy of the pistol?

An Interested Friend,

Steve

Friend AZ_Speed:

The brace makes the stock stiffer.

I'm down to one final testing session....

If it shoots like it did the last session, the next step is the cosmetic finishing.

Does the brace make a noticeable difference in the accuracy?

No.

But, the stiffness may help when running a card......

The main reason I developed the brace was to keep the long, 23 inch barrel from sagging and touching the barrel channel in the fore end...

But, I let the pistol sit with the legs attached, upright, over night, without the brace, and there were no problems with sagging....

So, how beneficial the brace will be will take some time to determine....

But, the brace is done, so it will be an option to play with.

I hope to get to test this evening....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

One of the things that makes these pistols so neat is their simplicity.......

No one piece rests to lug.....everything to shoot one can be carried in a single case, or AR 15 bag like I used to use.

The brace takes away from some of the simplicity.....

But, if it helps in running a target, it would be worth it...bc

Last edited:
Been doing some cosmetics on #14

Been doing some cosmetics on #14

CYA friends:

After that test session last evening I can now feel comfortable finishing #14, so I've been doing some cosmetics today...

There's two sets of numbers from 1 to 14 now......

The bolt handles that have my name on them are the 1 to 14 numbers that I've personally owned...

The regular numbers 1 to 14 don't have my name on the handle, like Mary Stark's #9 pistol.

I've got to tear the gun completely down, but, I haven't yet, because, I'm chomping at the bit to go back to the range and shoot some more..

Hey, I've got to do a thorough testing, don't I........?

Plus, I did not shoot any of the 90's and 93's through the pistol, only the 92's....

I don't expect them to shoot as well as the 92's......but, I've got a little over a half box of each left.....

And I'd hate to see them go to waste......( I'm looking for any reason to shoot #14 again)

I did get my name stamped on the bolt handle and the #14 engraved today....

So I've done enough cosmetics for today......cause when I do tear it down, I'll have to complete all of the cosmetics, so can't shoot it again till I'm completely done......and oh yes, I'll have to run the final function and shooting test......bc

DSC08603%20-%20Copy.jpg

PS: The lever to the right of the bolt plug, shroud, is the manual re-set trigger button....

You get used to re-setting it, and never think any more than if you were shooting a spring re-set trigger..

After I finished shooting last evening, it all of a sudden dawned on me....I did not forget to re-set it a single time, nor, do I remember resetting it at all......

It becomes a completely subconscious act.......

And the reward is, absolutely no upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece, while you're trying to make ignition..

And a secondary benefit, the manual re-set trigger is actually safer than a spring re-set trigger.....

A slap fire is "almost" impossible with a manual re-set trigger....bc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom