Dan Muller 90 driver 8

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
Dan Muller 90 driver 8

CYA friends
:

This Muller driver 8 started out at 27 inches....but, I failed to read the instructions Dan had written on the muzzle of the barrel, as to where to cut it for the crown......

So I fit it at 27 inches, and it wouldn't shoot.....duhhhhhh...

Anyway, I've cut it back to 23 3/4"......and shot it before I did a post chamber lap...

It shot so-so.................( that's code for it ain't a killer)

It's exactly like we read on these forums about barrels that " I can tell it wants to shoot"..

No, it ain't never going to shoot......

If it will shoot, it will shoot the first rounds out of the barrel.....................

Anyway, I post chamber lapped this Muller driver 8......

And I've now shot it on a well blueprinted PAS triple, and, a well blueprinted PAS double.....

And in pretty much the same conditions....

Now, which action allowed this killer Muller driver 8 to shoot its best? ( and by the way, it is a killer now)

The dual lug, or, the triple lug?

bc

PS:

CYA friends, is there a serious follower of RFBR accuracy advancement, anywhere on the planet, that doesn't know the answer, as to which action allowed this Muller driver 8 to shoot its best?..........bc

Last edited:
Does the type of action have anything to do with rimfire accuracy?

Does the type of action have anything to do with rimfire accuracy?

CYA friends:

I've gotten to do some most interesting tests since I made up my 1.000" tenon slave triple...

I've now fit three different barrels, including the driver 8, that I tested yesterday, on a PAS double and PAS triple....

All tested in my old #1 slave stock......

There's no composite bedding in old #1.....the actions rest on about 1/4" of contact area at the face of the action, and, tang contact that extends to the trigger opening......the rest of the actions float.....

The bedding qualities of old #1 are so-so......good for 25 rounds, or so, then the front bedding screw must be snugged or it goes to verticals...

The point being, however the bedding is, it's the same for both actions.....which are basically the same length.....same bedding screws are used.

I've got 10-0 penetration run capability with both of these PAS ignition systems...

I even use the same slave trigger, my old Jewell that I've altered the third lever return spring, which makes it really close to the B&A, as far as upward pressure on the bottom of the cocking piece, during ignition...

And I use the same scope and rings.....mounted Calfee style on both actions......

I've used the same MD, with the muzzle stopped on all three barrels.....

Speaking of MD's, my slave HH/MD fits two of the barrels, as bored, and I use a .003" steel shim to make it fit the third barrel.....

And all three barrels use the exact same setting, to get their muzzles stopped....( which is a little freaky, even for me, since the barrels range in length from 23 3/4" to 27"...)

But one of the actions simple gives slightly better accuracy......there's not a lot of difference.....but over the course of several groups, one of the actions causes these three barrels to shoot closer to their potential....

And I don't have to tell you which action performs the best...........

Now, could there be some little issue with one of the actions, which is keeping it from performing like the other, except for the obvious difference of one being a two lug and one a three lug? Maybe.

So here's what I've got to do........

Jeff Patterson has built himself a nice, well blueprinted 10-X triple, using Wilkinson hard copy style lugs, that he machined and heat treated himself......and did a beautiful job....

I'm going to ask Jeff if he would be willing to screw this Muller driver 8 into his new triple, and test it. ( I already know Jeff's headspace, which is identical to ROOSTER's, which two of these three barrels are tenoned for......the third has a direct 1.000" tenon, fit specifically to my triple slave, so it will be too short for Jeff's triple.

So hopefully we'll see for sure....soon...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom