RF rod guide question

karls42

Bill, on another site I was informed that Anschutz actions are bored off center and unless I used a special "lopsided" rod guide I would ruin my barrel and burn in hell for ever.
Why would a big name maker do such a thing when all the RFBR Schmidts want every thing perfectly centered, concentric, and parallel??
And how does a person know if his guide is one of the magic "off center ones"? I also have to assume using one of these guides in a "normal" rifle would destroy it's bore?
What say you
Karl

Friend karls42

Bill, on another site I was informed that Anschutz actions are bored off center and unless I used a special "lopsided" rod guide I would ruin my barrel and burn in hell for ever.
Why would a big name maker do such a thing when all the RFBR Schmidts want every thing perfectly centered, concentric, and parallel??
And how does a person know if his guide is one of the magic "off center ones"? I also have to assume using one of these guides in a "normal" rifle would destroy it's bore?
What say you
Karl

Friend karls42:

I'm getting ready to head to the range.....50 degrees, no wind, so I must test.....

I turned on my machine before I left and saw your post....

To make for easy, drop-in loading, the 54 Anschutz breech bolt raceway is bored above the center line of the barrel tenon...

So a cleaning rod guide, if it passes close to, or over the loading ramp, has to have the bore for the cleaning rod off-set...

Something tells me Anschutz was more worried about the easy loading, than how the shooter was supposed to safely clean the bore.

Maybe that's why Anschutz sells a string with a patch to pull through the bore, to clean their guns......

I'd have to evaluate, very carefully, any cleaning rod guide for a 54 Anschutz, before I would use it..

I'm headed to the range to do some testing.....hopefully...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

PS:

The opening at the back end of the breech bolt raceway, of the 54 action, the area where the locking lug seats are located, may be close to the center line of the barrel tenon.....

So a cleaning rod guide that extends no further forward than this area, "may" work OK..

I will emphasize the key word here, "may"...............off to the range.....bc

Last edited:
A good time to show this movie again

A good time to show this movie again

CYA friends:

Although this movie shows a rod guide for a TCA, the same thing applies to any rod guide for any action.....and in particular the 54 Anschutz, since the loading ramp is so close to the center line of the bore, so as to have the drop-in loading feature....

BC

MOVIE

Back
Top Bottom