Metal 3d Printed Receiver

Friend Az_Speed

I found this article quite interesting, amazing how things change. I'm not sure it even works but still quite fascinating what can be done.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/09/3d-metal-printed-rimfire-receiver-from-new-zealand/

Friend Az_Speed

I just turned on my machine and saw your post....

It is fascinating.......

I'm not sure what the "extraction cam" in the action is, though....

It's obviously a Remington 40-X copy, and every 40-X, ever made, has the "closing" cam machined in the receiver...

The "extraction cam", on the 40-X, is at the top of the rear breech bolt opening, and also on this printed action too....

In the cut-a-way, there is an angled surface at the front of the locking lug recess in the action, but that angle would have no function, since the breech bolt opens and is retracted in the opposite direction....

So I'm not sure what that "extraction cam" is.....

(The gentleman may have meant the "closing cam"........but, as the 40-X demonstrates, that is not too hard to machine in the action..)

It is fascinating what can be done...........

Wonder if this gentleman is any kin to Flash Ebert.........

The reason I ask, is, if he were, maybe we could get him to print some properly designed, PAS Triple lug actions....

Since we can't seem to get them done properly here....

Thanks for posting this fascinating procedure......

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
old thread. just resuscitating it.
yes, I have done that action as well and many many others. some even similar to the falcons.
but just that one on the link has been 3D printed.
regards
MFG

Friend MFG_BOP:

old thread. just resuscitating it.
yes, I have done that action as well and many many others. some even similar to the falcons.
but just that one on the link has been 3D printed.
regards
MFG

Friend MFG_BOP:

My son and daughter-in-law were by yesterday for Thanksgiving, and my son had been corresponding with a gentleman who now owns "Duck Hawk".

The gentleman wanted to become a member of CYankee Accuracy, so I gave Wally Smallwood, administrator of CYA, the gentleman's E-Mail and requested that he investigate the matter.

Are you that gentleman?

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Friend MFG_BOP:

My son and daughter-in-law were by yesterday for Thanksgiving, and my son had been corresponding with a gentleman who now owns "Duck Hawk".

The gentleman wanted to become a member of CYankee Accuracy, so I gave Wally Smallwood, administrator of CYA, the gentleman's E-Mail and requested that he investigate the matter.

Are you that gentleman?

Your friend, Bill Calfee

hi bill, thanks for the answer.
i have requested a login some time ago. maybe 1 month ago. i dont own duck hawk, so he's not me. i am from new zealand.
best regards

i have requested a login some time ago. maybe 1 month ago. i dont own duck hawk, so he's not me. i am from new zealand.
best regards

Friend MFG_BOP:

Thank you and welcome to CYA.

Your friend, BC

Did it work

Hi MFG_BOP

I have to ask, did the 3D printed receiver work ?

And if so how well and was there any issues.

Regards

Graham

Friend Deveng

Hi MFG_BOP

I have to ask, did the 3D printed receiver work ?

And if so how well and was there any issues.

Regards

Graham

Friend Deveng:

I'd like to know the answer to your question, myself.

Your friend, BC

hi guys, thanks for the question.

the bolt was working fine, but i haven't shot it and then I sent it out to a friend who was going to true it up, but unfortunately the nz post has lost it.
i couldn't claim or anything, but the idea was promising.

we are doing now some rifles that take pistol rounds. please, see it here if you are interested. nothing to do with rimfire but it's worth having a look:

Marshal Precision

next step from us will be 22lr. still working on it.

regards

mfg

Friend MGF_BOP

hi guys, thanks for the question.

the bolt was working fine, but i haven't shot it and then I sent it out to a friend who was going to true it up, but unfortunately the nz post has lost it.
i couldn't claim or anything, but the idea was promising.

we are doing now some rifles that take pistol rounds. please, see it here if you are interested. nothing to do with rimfire but it's worth having a look:

Marshal Precision

next step from us will be 22lr. still working on it.

regards

mfg

Friend MGF_BOP

+P 9MM ammunition can have chamber pressures of 35,000 PSI, or more.......

Is the 40-X rimfire action safe enough, with its mid lock-up, two piece breech bolt, for this kind of chamber pressure?

And of even more concern, is using cartridges with this kind of chamber pressure safe in a horizontal, rear lock-up rimfire action, because the primary locking lug seat, bolt handle side, is only attached to the receiver body by a thin strap of material at the bottom of the bolt handle cut.

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Friend MGF_BOP

Friend MGF_BOP

+P 9MM ammunition can have chamber pressures of 35,000 PSI, or more.......

Is the 40-X rimfire action safe enough, with its mid lock-up, two piece breech bolt, for this kind of chamber pressure?

And of even more concern, is using cartridges with this kind of chamber pressure safe in a horizontal, rear lock-up rimfire action, because the primary locking lug seat, bolt handle side, is only attached to the receiver body by a thin strap of material at the bottom of the bolt handle cut.

Your friend, BC

Friend MGF_BOP:

I hope I didn't strike a nerve with my above post......

But.......................

Please tell me not to worry about you folks producing rear, horizontal lock-up rimfire actions, chambered for centerfire pistol cartridges with a potential 35,000 PSI chamber pressure, or higher.

Thank you in advance...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

no, the lugged bolt handled very well the pressures. i have topped up the shell with APS350 (ADI powder from australia), which is the fastest one expecting a destroyed action and bolt, and the result was a hard bolt lift with a case without primer and lots of smoke, but the lugs were intact, perfect. then, i proceeded the test with 3 more mags of 10 and the action is still working flawlessly. round, of course, was 9mm luger.
the middle lugs actio has the bolt dimensions of a rem 700, so it was over engineered for pistol cals.

btw, mr bill, may i ask you a question about the extraction cam of the falcons, if you dont mind answering? i have never seen one with my "hands".

please, let me know, so i shoot it next thread.

regards

MFG

Friend MGF_BOP:

Friend MGF_BOP:

Since you manufacture these actions, if you're comfortable with using center fire cartridges, even center fire pistol cartridges, that's all that matters.

By the way, the mid lockup 40-X rimfire action does not have, even remotely, the strength of the front lockup center fire 40-X action.

Yes, the bolt body diameters are the same, but, that's where the similarity ends.

Thank you for your response.

You asked about the extraction cam on the Falcon action?

Here's a picture of an early Falcon action......

As you can see, the upper front corner of the top of the bolt handle is angled......

Which means there is no extraction cam, as we understand it for center fire actions, in this action.

DSC05058 - Copy.jpg

A center fire action must have an extraction cam.....

But, one is not needed in a rimfire action.

Here's why:

First of all, if a rimfire barrel is chambered correctly, there is no extraction force required to remove a spent case from the chamber.

The rearward thrust of the extractors will extract a rimfire case........

As a matter of fact, here's an excellent example why an extraction cam is not needed in a rimfire:

The 40-X rimfire action has the same extraction cam as the 40-X centerfire action.......exactly the same.

But..............................

If you fire a round in a 40-X rimfire action, then slowly lift the bolt handle, you'll see that the extractors extract the case and kick the breech bolt rearward, before the extraction cam is engaged.

So, a 40-X rimfire action does have an extraction cam, but, it never actually comes into play.........with a properly chambered rimfire barrel, that is.

I hope this answers your question.

Your friend, BC

Must have struck a nerve...

Must have struck a nerve...

CYA friends:

My last post, about the strength of rimfire actions, like the 40-X mid lock-up, and the various horizontal rear lock-up rimfire actions, when used for center fire rounds, even center fire pistol rounds, must have struck a nerve.

And for probably good reason

Your friend, Bill Calfee

hi bill. thanks fr the answer.

yes, pretty safe as I have tested it to death to be honest like I said above. I may have had, in one of my rifles, more than 4-5000 bullets thru and going perfect still.
also, finite analysis on SW had a big safety gap too.

we are working on now on an action with a Rem 700 footprint (nothing new, I know it) with some nice front bolt that doesn't need to time the barrel for the extractors.
maybe nothing new again? i don't know, but soon we will have here one of these to see if that works.

incredible info I have found here for the 22LR. thanks guys for that!

Regards

mfg

Friend MFG_BOP

hi bill. thanks fr the answer.

yes, pretty safe as I have tested it to death to be honest like I said above. I may have had, in one of my rifles, more than 4-5000 bullets thru and going perfect still.
also, finite analysis on SW had a big safety gap too.

we are working on now on an action with a Rem 700 footprint (nothing new, I know it) with some nice front bolt that doesn't need to time the barrel for the extractors.

maybe nothing new again? i don't know, but soon we will have here one of these to see if that works.

incredible info I have found here for the 22LR. thanks guys for that!

Regards

mfg

Friend MFG_BOP

Remington 40-X extractors are the best rimfire extractor design, ever......in my opinion.

One of the reason they're so good, is that if modified slightly, they work fine without any extractor slots in the breech face of the barrel, at all.

There's enough "fish hook" shape to the extractor retaining leg, to allow the face of the extractor to first snap over the rim, then as the bolt is closed, the face of the extractor is pushed back flush with the breech face of the barrel...

When the breech bolt is opened, after firing the round, the spring/plunger arrangement pushes the face of the extractor back over the rim of the cartridge.

Then as the breech bolt starts rearward, the extractors finish making their grasp on the case rim, and hold the case firmly till ejected.

Only the primary extractor performs this function, as the secondary extractor only holds the rim against ejection.

This works because, the spring/plunger system of the 40-X extractors, and their generous "fish hook" retaining leg, allow the extractors to not only expand outward, but also to move rearward.

Also, this "fish hook" shaped retaining leg, causes the extractors to exert more "bite" to the case rim, the harder the breech bolt is pulled rearward.

Kinda like the old hooks for picking up big blocks of ice.

I modified the extractors for Steve Turner, one of the greatest Calfee XP, RFBR Pistol shooters ever, to function as I've described above.

The Calfee XP 22 uses a modified 40-X Remington breech bolt.

And Steve traveled around the country to various RFBR matches, and simply killed the rifle shooters, and never had an extraction issue.

And there were no extractor slots in the barrel face of his XP-22 pistol.

Your friend, BC

PS:

Anthony DiOrio, manufacturer of the brilliant Turbo RFBR actions, is a busy man......

Plus, I'm working with him to hopefully make RFBR pistols available to the masses...

So I can't start piling more on him.......

But...................

If the world don't end, and I don't end, one day I'm going to discuss with him about the possibility of changing to the extractors I've described above, in his brilliant Turbo MD-PAS ignition actions.

This way there will be no extractor slots, or cone breeches, in the face of Turbo actioned RFBR barrels....

These pistols come first, though.

DSC00970.jpg

Last edited:
bill, need your help here, if you can.
i am about to make a bolt for my rimfire action. do you think
the 0.283" diameter bolt face would be good?
what would be a "standard" diameter if this standard exist?
thanks for your time.
regards

Friend MFG_BOP

bill, need your help here, if you can.
i am about to make a bolt for my rimfire action. do you think
the 0.283" diameter bolt face would be good?
what would be a "standard" diameter if this standard exist?
thanks for your time.
regards

Friend MFG_BOP:

I don't know if there is a "standard" diameter....

The .283" will work......

Keep something in mind:

Most match cases run from about .268" in diameter to .273" or so......

.270" diameter rims are pretty common....

If you make the counter bore too large, here's what can happen:

On most rimfire actions the primary extractor is the more aggressive of the two, even sprung equally, because the tip is longer than the secondary....

If the counter bore is too large, as you pull the breech bolt back to withdraw a spent case, the primary extractor will push the case to the far side of the chamber, which will cause a slight drag as it's being extracted.

This doesn't hurt anything, but it's kinda annoying...........

If I were building a RFBR action, I believe I wouldn't go over .280" diameter...

But .283" will work fine.

Your friend, BC

awesome bill, thanks for the answer. we were aiming for 7,2mm, which is about .283" fore the counterbore.
thanks for the helpful tip, sir.
mfg

Back
Top Bottom