What will is take.........?

Bill Calfee

Gun Fool
What will it take.........?

What will it take.........?

CYA friends:

Last year, Chuck "Raging Inferno" Morrell turned the only 12,000 score in the history of the Professional Shooting League...

I have a question:

What will it take to turn another 12,000 PSl score.....(let alone turn a 12,000, plus score, high enough to break the Inferno's PSL record?

What equipment will it take, ( Assuming the shooter's abilities are equal ) to shoot the second, in PSL history, 12,000 score?

What barrel will it take....

What action will it take....

What ignition system will it take.....( this one is a no-brainer........so I probably don't need to ask it, but I will )

What stock will it take....

What trigger will it take...

What bedding type will it take...

What ammo will it take....

What scope will it take....

What scope mounting system will it take....

What rest will it take....

What schmidt will it take...

What MD will it take.......

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
What barrel will it take to shoot the 2nd PSL 12,000 in history?

What barrel will it take to shoot the 2nd PSL 12,000 in history?

CYA friends:

Chuck "Raging Inferno" Morrell used a Dan Muller 4-MI to turn the only 12,000 PSL score in history.

What barrel will turn the second 12,000 PSL score?

( I'll say this again.......I don't believe we'll ever see another 12,000 PSL score, let alone better the Inferno's 12,050 PSL record)

Here's my personal opinion as to what barrel it will take to turn the 2nd PSL 12,000 score in history:

As things stand today, the two, double baddest, big score producing guns in the history of big time RFBR both use Dan Muller 4-MI's.....

Those two guns belong to Chuck "Raging Inferno" Morrell and Jeff "Carolina Girl" Jeffreys.

So, based on past experience, one could rightly conclude, that the second 12,000 PSL score, in history, will be turned with a Dan Muller, 4-MI barreled RFBR gun......

Having said the above, and this is strictly my gut speaking, I believe the "barrel of the future" is the Dan Muller corrugated 8 groove.

Now, I know everyone reading this has to be thinking; Calfee, what about the Shilen ratchet?

CYA friends, well executed Shilen ratchets are double bad.....triple bad.......just look at their record.....

And if I had a well executed ratchet blank to start a new build with, I'd probably end up with as good of a RFBR gun as I'm capable of producing......

But no matter how one cuts it, the two, triple baddest, big score guns in our sports history have used Dan Muller 4-MI's.....

But, and again this is my gut talking, I've fit only three of the Muller corrugated 8's, and all three have killed it.......

I have a gut feeling that if I would have fit, over the years, as many Muller 8's as I have Shilen ratchets, we'd already have a second 12,000 PSL score, or maybe even a third......

And yes of course, what I just said is pure speculation......

But CYA friends, I've worked on my gut feelings all these years more than anything else.....

So, I believe the next 12,000 PSL score will be produced with a Muller 8.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
One more comment about barrels....

One more comment about barrels....

CYA friends:

Every button rifled barrel maker, who specializes in 22 rimfire accuracy type barrels, has had examples of their work that were killers.

I've even had a bunch of killer guns made on Douglas button rifled barrels, and they are not lapped as they come from Douglas, I had to lap them myself....

But.........

There are some barrels that simply can be made to produce killer accuracy as a greater percentage of their numbers, than other barrels..

From personal experience, the Shilen ratchet and the various Dan Muller MI barrels can simply be made into a greater percentage of killers, than can the other popular rimfire accuracy button barrels...

Without question, the Shilen ratchet is the absolute easiest rimfire accuracy barrel for the majority of schmidts to turn into killers...

But, even though I've fit far fewer Muller MI's than ratchets, my most successful, pure accuracy accomplishments, have been with the Muller MI's...

Even my fellow schmidt Tom Wilkinson, who has had tremendous success with the Shilen ratchet, even in his short time as a RFBR schmidt, has had his greatest, pure accuracy success, with a Muller MI.

So, why do I believe the next 12,000 PSL score won't be accomplished with a Muller MI or a Shilen ratchet, but with a Muller 8?

My gut..........................

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
What action will it take

What action will it take

CYA friends:

This is part two....

What action will it take to turn the 2nd, in history, PSL 12,000 score? ( Let alone break Chuck "Raging Inferno" Morrell's 12,050 PSL Record)

The Inferno used a highly blueprinted V1 Turbo to set his 12,050 PSL Record...

First of all, we aren't going to see the 2nd 12,000 PSL score turned with anything but a Momentum Dependent, PAS ignitioned action.

Keep in mind please, this is the PSL target we're trying to turn those numbers on.

( Once again, I don't believe we'll ever see another 12,000 PSL score, but, it's interesting to speculate what it will take to do it, anyway)

So, the next 12,000 PSL score will be turned with, at least, an action capable of producing the kind of extremely uniform ignition that a well blueprinted V1 Turbo is capable of.....or a well blueprinted, Baity 6 ignitioned E Turbo or a well blueprinted, X-90......

But there is a step up................and for various reasons we're having a most difficult time realizing its potential....

That step up, is the Momentum Dependent, PAS ignitioned triple lug action.

So, my gut tells me, that if a second 12,000 PSL score is ever turned, it will be turned using a Muller 8 barrel and a highly blueprinted, 10-X, triple lug action...

An aside: This post is actually addressing questions two and three.......we'll address the stock next...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom